• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Subbed Innocence Cancelled

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:42 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm surprised that they would have english subs on any Japanese movie being released in Japanto begin with. It just seems so out of place. How often do they release movies with english subs in Japan to begin with?

It would almost be like the U.S. taking a Disney film and releasing Japanese subs on it in the theatre in certain markets in hopes of reaching a certain demographic. But for the most part, it's not a viable solution for economical reasons. My suspicion is that they've realized the same thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
BrianRuh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:24 am Reply with quote
From what I've heard the theaters advertising the film with English subs haven't been showing the subbed prints anyway, due to some vague problems with the subtitles. Up until now, all of the issues with the subtitles have seemed technical rather than economic. I am curious about what really happened, though...
fixx_zero

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:55 am Reply with quote
may i have to remember people that the Biohazard serie on ps2, is in English-voices and japanese subtitle, and no other way, other are also in this situation but i cant remember which.

for gits, i guess it's one of the best way for the authors to make gits 2 availble for non japanese speaker as this one seems to need apparently (from reviews i have read online) more japanese expertise in order to fully understand the philosophical approach, or unavoidably be disapointed.

so to my understanding it was a nice move for non-japanese people, and it wouldnt be the only one in this category to some extend. unfortunatly, it didn't work out. too bad.

seeya.
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:11 am Reply with quote
I didn't even know it was gonna have subsinthe theatres. I thought it was just a possibility to have subs on the dvd.
eva05

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm flying over to see that and Casshern

Had no idea they were gonna sub it.

I'm still going. Opening day. Unscreened print. Full-on Japanese.

Excellent Anime smile

j
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:55 pm Reply with quote
eva05 wrote:
I'm still going. Opening day. Unscreened print. Full-on Japanese.

Uhm.. Yeah, sorry to disappoint, but... opening day for GitS2 has already passed..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:21 am Reply with quote
I hope an official sub is available by September so we can see it at the biennial "Japanime" festival in Australia Very Happy
eva05

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
[
Uhm.. Yeah, sorry to disappoint, but... opening day for GitS2 has already passed..

OMFG I missed it...

Somehow I thought it opened in April.

Runs off crying...

Oh well I still get to see it projected in nihonji Anime smile

j
Diedrupo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:12 pm Reply with quote
In the US, english is pretty much the only language spoken, but in Japan, english is a second language that everyone learns, and maybe they wanted to include english subtitles just to be cool or to appeal to foreigners.
Certainly GITS is one of those series with a larger than normal use of english, as one can note from various things in the show and the fact that the ED is done in english.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1