• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hulu.com Launches Channel for Free, Legal Anime Streams

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaziek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I love the way that all these streaming sites claim to be "working on an international solution" or something along those lines, when everybody knows that they arent, and dont give a shit, and they know everybody knows, and they still couldnt give a shit.

The love is in MASSIVE sarcasm tags.
mewtwo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Why do the Death Note episodes look like part of the top of the picture has been chopped off? I compared the second opening as seen on Hulu to a clip of it on Google Video, and this seems to be the case.

*sigh*
braves

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:26 pm Reply with quote
This is pretty good. I won't be complaining that it's subtitle-only anime. Geez, it's for free. Razz

And it actually has the first 21 episodes of Naruto, not the first 20.

mewtwo wrote:
Why do the Death Note episodes look like part of the top of the picture has been chopped off? I compared the second opening as seen on Hulu to a clip of it on Google Video, and this seems to be the case.

Yeah, I noticed that too. But at least it's only the black bars and not the actual image.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:45 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
And it actually has the first 21 episodes of Naruto, not the first 20.

The channel launched earlier this morning with just 20 episodes — episodes 1-16 and 18-21. Hulu just added the missing 17th episode for the full 21.
emilydastrange

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:48 pm Reply with quote
mewtwo wrote:

*sigh*

watch it in full screen and you won't have that problem.

So glad I can watch all of mushi-shi now - I'm too broke to buy it at the moment. Ah~ I'm so happy.

Now watching Mushi-shi is going to take me away from my organic chemistry test... oh well.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I love the idea, but I'll be waiting for those other shows that will be added later since I have all of Mushi-shi, have seen the first 20 episode of Naruto multiple times, and am buying the Death Note DVDs, plus I prefer dubs, so while I can live with subtitled I'll take dubbed when it's available.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:09 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Is this the future of entertainment viewership?
Probably. The Internet just gets bigger and more all consuming every day. Kind of like a black hole. Still, the money is all in TV land so a total switch won't happen for years yet.

Or are we strictly talking about anime viewership? If just anime viewership, that's pretty much always been concentrated on the net. The trick is to get everyone to switch from illlegal to legal. (Or at least enough to make the legal services profitable ventures for the various anime companies involved.)
king_micah

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:15 pm Reply with quote
<3 Hulu

The place is run by media geeks. I wonder how long they had to work to get anime on the site, since it's pretty obvious there's a big enough group for it to be a successful Niche on the site.

I mean come on, Anime, Terminator, Buffy, lots more genre shows.

Hulu's big strength is it's got huge backers from different studios and Networks. I'd imagine the big thing for international viewers is the rights issues and contracts.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Wait and good things will come. I don't mind subbed at all, actually I prefer Japanese raws, because I'm more used to hearing people speak in Japanese rather than English.
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind Hulu so much except, man they like to pack the most boring ads into there shows.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:48 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
Region-locked streams, blah blah blah, you know the deal.

Yup:

Quote:
Sorry, currently our video library can only be streamed from within the United States

Hulu is committed to making its content available worldwide. To do so, we must work through a number of legal and business issues, including obtaining international streaming rights. Know that we are working to make this happen and will continue to do so. Given the international background of the Hulu team, we have both a professional and personal interest in bringing Hulu to a global audience.

If you'd like, please leave us your email address and the region in which you live, and we will email you when our videos are available in your area.

It wouldn't hurt to have as many people outside the US fill out the form as possible.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Holy shit.

OK, let's go...Watching Death Note episode 37 on Hulu:

The "hey hey ningen f**cker" is translated correctly!

Quality could be better, though. Make the sound a less muffled, for example.

And funny that Death Note episode 37 is brought to me with limited commercial interruption by Dove, of all companies. Laughing

Now for Death Note episode 37 on Joost:

Oh wait, nevermind. Sucks that I had to register for this...and then install a plugin on Firefox...and then wait and wait and try refreshing and trying different videos and nothing working and then the plugin crashing. Wonderful. Rolling Eyes

EDIT 9/23/08:

OH WAIT NEVERMIND SORRY GUYS MY FIREFOX/FLASH ITSELF WAS MESSED UP. So yeah, Joost is fine, no problems there! My problems were entirely my fault on my faulty PC. Sorry sorry sorry. Anime smile + sweatdrop Anime catgrin + sweatdrop Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

OK, now I'm watching Death Note episode 37 on Joost:

WTF? Why's it stretched out? Oh, I have to toggle it back to the correct aspect ratio. That's OK...

Wow, the audio quality is much much much better than Hulu. Video quality is very good, too, all things considered. (Of course, I'd like high bitrate and a higher resolution still, but that's pretty unrealistic to expect.)

OK, decision time:

Joost >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hulu. Even in fullscreen on my 1280 x 1024 monitor, the video quality is at least decent on Joost, especially from a distance. And Joost's audio is excellent.

And as far as I can tell, there are no ads on Joost, which makes up for the mandatory website registration and plugin installation (at least for Firefox).

Just again, about this whole online development in the anime industry, just amazing. Amazing and awesome. Especially since anime on American TV is slowly dying, as Greed1914 reminded me of in this thread:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=73822

Not that I forgot that anime on TV is dying over here...It's just that Greed1914's point just added another good thing to The List of Why Having Free Legal Anime Online is Good. Smile

OK, now we just need all of this released closer to the Japanese releases/air dates!!! Almost there!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT 2, 9/23/08:

Just one more thing. This is also really awesome because the official DVD releases of Death Note aren't even fully out yet, but all 37 episodes are available for free streaming.

Just. Awesome.

EDIT 3, 9/23/08:

GIANT FACEPALM

I just realized Hulu has an option for a higher quality stream of every episode, so ignore what I said about Joost being better than Hulu. From what I can tell, the video and sound quality of the two is, for all intents and purposes, the same.

In fact, because you don't have to register for anything or install anything to watch videos on Hulu, I may actually be inclined to recommend Hulu instead of Joost.

But really, whichever you use, they're both excellent.

Last edited by Josh7289 on Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:23 pm Reply with quote
...and Canada gets gipped again even though WE ARE OF THE SAME REGION >_> ...
blued127

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:35 pm Reply with quote
is it too much to ask for an anime site that isn't exclusive to the US
and/or canada. Take a look around the anime "oficial" viewing webpages are all US only, I mean Mexico is also in North America,
old experience, toonamijet stream only for north america, yeah sure
only US & Canada, did they change the map while I was not looking
or what people Mexico is on North America, we buy your stuff and
make you rich and you still exclude us
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:54 pm Reply with quote
blued127 wrote:
is it too much to ask for an anime site that isn't exclusive to the US
and/or canada.

Just said in my post above that we don't get it either...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4