• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hulu.com Launches Channel for Free, Legal Anime Streams

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:

OK, let's go...Watching Death Note episode 37 on Hulu:

The "hey hey ningen f**cker" is translated correctly!

"HEY HEY! Ningen sanka HEY HEY! Ningen fuankan "

I've yet to know if that is the actual translation for f*cker, but I've yet to see that. If he actually says f*cker, it's in the final part of the lyrics, Riiight at the end.

Well, according to the lyrics, anyway.
shade1012

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:11 pm Reply with quote
This is what the anime companies needed to do for all time.
They make some ad money and we get easy access, good quality videos.
Cant wait till more shows get posted this way. Anime hyper

Sorry for the people not in the US. Sad
blued127

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:02 pm Reply with quote
oh well I was talking in general I mean I'm still mad about the main
exclusion thing but I know it's not Canada but the evil US corporativism, they suppose that we have to translate the
animes into spanish to enjoy it, even thou that is good for shaman king and all dragon ball that doesn't mean we can enjoy japanese
like everyone else, and yeah mexicans can read english,(not directed to anyone in particular seriously)
Takeyo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:48 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, U.S. corporations aren't solely responsible for license restrictions. Licensing anime is a complicated process, often involving several parties and, from what I hear, can be an absolute bear to nail down.

I'd also say that characterizing distribution companies as "evil" is a bit of a stretch. They're in the business of making money (an increasingly difficult proposition), not running a charity.
tuongcuop

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:27 am Reply with quote
hmm I see that they also has an embed code for the video. So now those free anime streaming sites could use that embed code to show the anime legally? Surprised
Axe-336

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:37 am Reply with quote
I only within the past month heard about Hulu from a friend and was skeptical at first just because I hadn't heard of anything like that being legit before. I'm personally still happy with my NetFlix account, but if they're going to start showing anime for a simple "Watch our ad" fee, I say more power to them.
Servant of the Path

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I hadn't really checked Hulu out to any great extent before hearing this news but after doing so I'm somewhat disappointed. While the resolution of the shows on Hulu is fine I'm getting a lot of stuttering in the image, as if the frame rate is very low and it's simply too distracting to watch. Although that could very well be a hardware issue on the part of the system I'm using I suppose. Something else that bothers me is all of the subbed content. This is great for those of us who like subs but I much prefer the dubbed episodes and I think offering subtitled episodes at this point is a bit premature as it automatically makes the content somewhat inaccessible to a larger audience. I too had a problem with Death Note displaying properly. Hulu cuts off an entire section of the top of the image and the problem is not rectified on my end by going to full-screen mode. It may not be their fault, though, in light of the VIZ moniker at the bottom left of the image and the way the subtitles are deliberately displayed entirely below the image. Despite my problems with it I must extend kudos to Hulu for providing a large number of consecutive episodes for the series they have available.

Joost, I believe, would be an excellent venue for anime but they simply don't seem to understand that they are not going to be able to consistently pull in viewers if they don't regularly and consistently provide new episodes on a scheduled basis. If I log in, decide to check out a new series and then discover that they are only providing episodes 16, 17 and 18 the very next decision I will make will be to promptly log off. If I wait a couple of months to log back in and find that they are still offering only episodes 16, 17 and 18 I'm pretty much at the point of giving up on the service.

Streaming anime over the internet has come a long way but it also has a very long way to go.
braves

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:43 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:

I've yet to know if that is the actual translation for f*cker, but I've yet to see that. If he actually says f*cker, it's in the final part of the lyrics, Riiight at the end.

No, that is not the translation for the "F" word. But in the TV version, it is saying the "F" word. A more detailed explanation can found here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:15 am Reply with quote
braves wrote:
tygerchickchibi wrote:

No, that is not the translation for the "F" word. But in the TV version, it is saying the "F" word. A more detailed explanation can found here.

Annnd thank you for clearing that up for me. =D

o_o in all honesty....since the TV version is on American TV, they really cant post that word...unless they pay FCC extra to do so, I would think, at least.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:23 pm Reply with quote
This is good news. Hulu is really great. I like watching TV shows but I usually miss them when they air. Hulu fixes that and now they offer anime.

But anime is a whole 'nother beast. You still have the main issue: If I want to see the next episode of 24, I have to wait until it airs. Theres no getting around it. Meanwhile, if you're watching the first episode of Code Geass on adult swim and you really like it... you don't have to wait. The next 40 episodes are ready for you to download... and some of them are HD and look better than whats gonna be broadcast on TV anyways.

A legal streaming site is good for fighting sites like crunchyroll, but it doesn't address fansubs.

tygerchickchibi wrote:
braves wrote:
tygerchickchibi wrote:

Annnd thank you for clearing that up for me. =D

o_o in all honesty....since the TV version is on American TV, they really can't post that word...unless they pay FCC extra to do so, I would think, at least.

But DN is only shown on cable and the FCC doesn't really regulate content on cable. Most cable networks regulate themselves to meet the "standards" that over the air networks have, but they don't have to. Thats how showtime, fx, HBO and others get away with nudity, intense violence and profanity on a regular basis.

Because you have to pay to access it, the FCC doesn't hold it to any standards. If you dislike the content on cable and think its harmful for children or offensive or whatever... stop paying for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4