• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Shut Out at Harvey Awards

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Wait... WHAT!!!??? This is an outrage!!! What a fiasco. Crappy comics win over Magnificent Manga. Pshh,whoever decided that must have been drunk,high and retarded.
Crystal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:03 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
Wait... WHAT!!!??? This is an outrage!!! What a fiasco. Crappy comics win over Magnificent Manga. Pshh,whoever decided that must have been drunk,high and retarded.

Manga aren't *automatically* better than western comics. Scott Pilgrim is actually really good/funny.
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:10 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:

Get the hell off the interwebz.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I gave into the hype and read Scott Pilgrim, and it's just awful. I don't understand the acclaim.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I'll just link to an earlier locked thread in response. Just replace Variety with Harvey, and it's the same meaning. Rolling Eyes
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:27 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I gave into the hype and read Scott Pilgrim, and it's just awful. I don't understand the acclaim.

I'm sure the first poster was being sarcastic...but I'm not so sure about you. I sincerely hope you are. I recently started reading it too, and have finished all four, and it's one of the best (and funniest) comics in ages, and very much deserves this award. If you can't get past the silliness or maybe the art (I don't know what you dislike about it, I'm just guessing), that's one thing, but to say it's "awful" is plain ludicrous.
darcerin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm disappointed, but seeing as how they're probably biased toward American-based comics, influenced by outside sources or not, I'm not really that surprised.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm certainly not complaining-- I think Scott Pilgrim is a great series.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:05 am Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

I'm sure the first poster was being sarcastic...but I'm not so sure about you. I sincerely hope you are. I recently started reading it too, and have finished all four, and it's one of the best (and funniest) comics in ages, and very much deserves this award. If you can't get past the silliness or maybe the art (I don't know what you dislike about it, I'm just guessing), that's one thing, but to say it's "awful" is plain ludicrous.

Overrated hipster garbage, like Achewood, or movies with Michael Cera in them. And the jokes are decades old with references I've seen parodied better in other places. It reads like one of those terrible TokyoPop "American mangas", with only a slightly better story.

So no, no I'm not being sarcastic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
bahamut623

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:13 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
bahamut623 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Overrated hipster garbage, like Achewood, or movies with Michael Cera in them. And the jokes are decades old with references I've seen parodied better in other places. It reads like one of those terrible TokyoPop "American mangas", with only a slightly better story.

Didn't think so lol. Well, you're kinda right on the hipster thing (not the garbage part). I usually describe it as Archie with hipsters(and I love Archie so...)...but to each his own! I do think it is definitely better than most Tokyopop OEL stuff, though...for one thing it doesn't claim to be a manga, and it also doesn't hopelessly try to be like manga (visually or storywise). It's influenced more by videogames than anything else, I'd say.
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:24 am Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:
I'm disappointed, but seeing as how they're probably biased toward American-based comics, influenced by outside sources or not, I'm not really that surprised.

Once again, another unintelligent response.

Think before you type.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:27 am Reply with quote
I'm more pissed that out of all good manga out there they nominated crap like Witchblade and that OEL Manga Shakespere. Bullcrap.

Though nice to see Eduardo Risso's old South American comics get recognized.

Plus, as for Scott Pilgrim, I'd say his art is more Japanese video game inspired than manga inspired.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:31 am Reply with quote
Kind of ironic that Witchblade-American in nature-was also "disqualified" because of its manga art. This rift between comic fans and manga fans is turning into a rivalry not dissimilar to the one between the Trekkies and Star Wars geeks. [Comic fans being the former, and the rest of us being the latter, of course.]
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:59 am Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:

Gee. An American awards ceremony for American books s biased towards American books? Whoa. Stop the presses!

Anyway, nice to see a South American book get a nod.

penguintruth wrote:
Quote:

Anyone wanna tell him who's playing Scott Pilgrim in the movie?
bahamut623 wrote:

Didn't think so lol. Well, you're kinda right on the hipster thing (not the garbage part). I usually describe it as Archie with hipsters(and I love Archie so...)...but to each his own! I do think it is definitely better than most Tokyopop OEL stuff, though...for one thing it doesn't claim to be a manga, and it also doesn't hopelessly try to be like manga (visually or storywise). It's influenced more by videogames than anything else, I'd say.

Funny. I always thought of Blue Monday, also from Oni, as more of a manga styled hipster Archie. Again, I associate Scott Pilgrim more with video games than manga.

Meanwhile, I like some of those TokyoPop OEL books. You know, unlike TokyoPop who dropped all their creators like rocks. Luckily most of them have moved onto better publishers.

504NOSON2 wrote:

Yes. Total pieces of crap like the ones listed here.
Brian K. Vaughan, Y: The Last Man
Gabriel Ba and Gerald Way, Umbrella Academy
Guy Davis, BPRD
John Cassaday, Astonishing X-Men
Darwyn Cooke, The Spirit
Nicholas Gurewitch, Perry Bible Fellowship
James Jean, Fables (cover art)
Mike Mignola, Hellboy (cover art)
And then we have forign artists publishing for US companies.
Vasilis Lolos, Last Call (Greece)
Rutu Modan Exit Wounds (Israel)

..but.. no... if it's not Scot.. er.. Japanese, it must be CRAP!
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:37 am Reply with quote
[quote="The Xenos"]
darcerin wrote:

504NOSON2 wrote:

Yes. Total pieces of crap like the ones listed here.
Brian K. Vaughan, Y: The Last Man
Gabriel Ba and Gerald Way, Umbrella Academy
Guy Davis, BPRD
John Cassaday, Astonishing X-Men
Darwyn Cooke, The Spirit
Nicholas Gurewitch, Perry Bible Fellowship
James Jean, Fables (cover art)
Mike Mignola, Hellboy (cover art)
And then we have forign artists publishing for US companies.
Vasilis Lolos, Last Call (Greece)
Rutu Modan Exit Wounds (Israel)

..but.. no... if it's not Scot.. er.. Japanese, it must be CRAP!

Checking out that link, there were a pretty good number of great series this year. I do find English-language comics to be much more relateable than a lot of manga on the market today.

Y is a great series, better than most manga I've read. Also great are Invincible and Runaways. And I can't forget Astonishing X-Men. Even with the typical Joss Whedon delays (which have finally hit the Buffy Season Eight series), it was a great run.

In any case, yay for Scott Pilgrim Gets it Together. I've thought it was the best SP yet, and really cannot wait for volume 5 in 2009.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2