• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Online DVD Rental Outlets

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GenPirate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:54 am Reply with quote
I can only do the bare minimum on Blockbuster & Netflix, which is better? Blockbusters 3.99 plan or Netflix 4.99 plan?
Neardawg1979

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I recently joined www.animelane.com. It has good selection including adult titles and PC games as well as audio CDs. The biggest problem is there is only one location on the west coast, so DVDs take about 3 days to arrive in the mail here on the east coast. And if you have a 2 disc at a time membership they send both in one package so you have to watch both before you send them back. I just use it for stuff that Netflix doesn't have.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sevensevens

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Netflix has a pretty good selection of Anime, but like others have said, they don't replace missing DVDs too quickly. One of my biggest complaints about netflix is that Hentai title aren't separated from others, so sometimes you get a Hentai recommendation even though you aren't interested in Hentai anime. At home its fine, but occasionally I check my queue + recommendations at work (not so fine). The selection of non-hentai titles is pretty good though.

I'm thinking about switching to one of the anime only DVD services. Has anyone used netflix + one of the other services?
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:18 pm Reply with quote
sevensevens wrote:
Netflix has a pretty good selection of Anime, but like others have said, they don't replace missing DVDs too quickly. One of my biggest complaints about netflix is that Hentai title aren't separated from others, so sometimes you get a Hentai recommendation even though you aren't interested in Hentai anime. At home its fine, but occasionally I check my queue + recommendations at work (not so fine). The selection of non-hentai titles is pretty good though.

I'm thinking about switching to one of the anime only DVD services. Has anyone used netflix + one of the other services?

Wow, I haven't rented anime from Netflix in about a year, did they start carrying hentai now? They didn't use to carry any...are you thinking of ecchi titles?
I have use it before and another service at the same time, (I have used one that is now defunct, Blockbuster and GreenCine as well) but the others I used weren't nearly as fast for me as Netflix which had closer DC's.
sevensevens

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a Hentia expert, but yes, Netflix has some (I doubt as many as anime only services). They're still listed under animation, so titles like "Fencer of Minerva" can show up in your recommendations. I actually found out that Netflix carried Hentai after I clicked on the above mentioned title (that name doesn't sound like a Hentia title) as a recommendation.

As I said before, I'm considering switching RentAnime (which has an option for no Hentia), but I'm concerned the DVDs will not arrive as promptly as my Netflix selections.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I use both Netflix (3 at a time) and Rentanime.com (1 at a time).

Netflix is pretty good, several times getting me a new release on the day of issue. Older series missing discs and sometimes newer OVAs are a problem though. Flag volume 4 was vexing, ended up geting from rentanime.com. I live in Coppell, TX which is one of Netflix distrubtion points, so it is one day turn around for 90% of the stuff I rent (exclusively anime so far).

Netflix has some BORDERLINE hentai, Fencer of Minerva (about the raciest I have seen on Netflix) would still be considered at most a Hard R rating.

One look at a true Hentai title would reveal how far Fencer of Minerva is from the twisted world of H. A quick search for several popular H titles on Netflix came up blank on my end, but I may have a filter or something in place.

That is what rentanime.com is for, and the annoying Bandai Visual USA titles that Netflix can not seem to stock.
sevensevens

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I live in Coppell, TX which is one of Netflix distrubtion points, so it is one day turn around for 90% of the stuff I rent (exclusively anime so far).

I too live near a netflix distribution center (Chattanooga, TN), but most of my animes are already rented by other Netflix patrons and end up coming from all over the US. If its coming from the west coast, it can be 3-4 days between when I mail a disc back, and when the next one arrives. This is especially annoying for series, as many times I will get the disc out of order.

What type of turn around does rentanime.com have (and is there a distribution center on the east coast)?
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What type of turn around does rentanime.com have (and is there a distribution center on the east coast)?

The discs come out of Tampa, FL. On the one at a time plan, the best I can get in a month is 4 discs.

With Netflix, I feel a great pressure to get in 6 discs a week, with rentanime, I know there is nothing I can do to speed it up, so I do not feel as rushed. I am happy with both, and recommend each of them.
sevensevens

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:31 am Reply with quote
One more thing I should mention about netflix - if you get the netflix roku box http://www.roku.com/netflixplayer/, there are plenty of anime title to watch instantly. There are a few annoying ones that make you order the last DVD through the mail, but in general Netflix tries to put up whole series. The box is $100, and there is no limit to how much netflix will let you watch. They don't offer subs through the box, but if you don't mind that its a no brainer to get it.
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I've been with Rentanime.com for a little over a year and the quality and the quantity of their new anime titles is very spotty. For example, under their "NEW" dvds, they have listed only recently, the first volumes of Gurren Lagann and Code Geass, which have been out for months. And they also have Blood+ Volume 2 listed there, when it's already on Volume 3. Most of the dvds they list in their new section lately have been live action Asian B-movies. I have no idea what their problem is. They still have never gotten the last volume of Inuyasha. It seems as though the quality of all retail stores, no matter what they are, have gone downhill. So I'm wondering are there any other online anime places that actually keep up to date with their new releases that I can switch to? I used to have Anime Avalon, a manga/anime store here in Houston, but it closed last September....that's 2007. I sure miss that place.
sevensevens

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Netflix does a pretty good job of keeping up with new releases - you can browse the collection without actually signing up (if you'd like to check for a particular series).
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:49 am Reply with quote
It looks like Netflix has added Saturday's as a processing day. They received 2 movies from me today 4/18/09, and are shipping two out.

I wonder if this is preparation for when the Post Office ditches Tuesdays for mail delivery, or did they feel pressured by some other factor. I do not think they have any major business competition.

Also within the past two months, if the disc at the top of your queue is available from a different distribution point, they will mail it without the 1 day shipping delay they used to throw in, AND ship your next available disc as well. This effectively adds 1 to the number of discs at a time you can have out.

I love these three changes (Saturday processing, No 1 day delay when shipping from a non optimal distribution center, and bonus rentals).

This changes the strategy for maximizing unlimited rentals from them a bit.
Mylene

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:42 am Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
Also within the past two months, if the disc at the top of your queue is available from a different distribution point, they will mail it without the 1 day shipping delay they used to throw in, AND ship your next available disc as well. This effectively adds 1 to the number of discs at a time you can have out.

This doesn't seem to be happening every time, however. I recently had a non-optimal that didn't receive the extra disc treatment (although it didn't have the one-day delay it used to), but another a few weeks before did warrant the extra disc treatment.
trentenda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:36 pm Reply with quote
There's over 2000 anime titles I found here at bigpond movies

http://dvd.bigpondmovies.com/genre/3/Anime
lazyknight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:05 pm Reply with quote
It may be worth mentioning for those of you possibly considering renting anime DVDs that Netflix has been offering a one month free trial period. This includes unlimited streaming via your PC or any current gen gaming console. There are a number of older anime series available for streaming, and plenty available via the mail option. You don't get charged until the end of the trial, so if you don't like it, quit before said date and you're good to go.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6