• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Acquires Grrl Power!

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:49 am Reply with quote
wow, that name is really retarded. is that the actual japanese title?
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:08 am Reply with quote
The article states
Quote:

ADV Films will be releasing Akitaro Daichi's Makasete Iruka! OAV in North America early this summer, prior to its Japanese release. The North American title will be Grrl Power.

Or are you asking if "Makasete Iruka!" literally translates to mean "Grrl Power?"
sun007

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:39 am Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
The article states
Quote:

ADV Films will be releasing Akitaro Daichi's Makasete Iruka! OAV in North America early this summer, prior to its Japanese release. The North American title will be Grrl Power.

Or are you asking if "Makasete Iruka!" literally translates to mean "Grrl Power?"

Why couldn't they just call it "Makasete Iruka!"? It's not that hard of a Japanese name.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:06 am Reply with quote
I just wish the north american industry wasn't so prone to dumbing down titles like that.

Instead of appearing to be hip, I think people are more likely to balk at and be put off by such titles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:02 am Reply with quote
I normally don't complain about such things, and this is unlikely to be a title I'd be interested in either way, but Grrl Power sounds so 1995.

Maybe this title has some 90s nostalgia value? In 2004, that title just comes across as roadkill on the Information Superhighway.

Oh, wait, "Information Superhighway" jokes are also so 1995...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dejiko

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:42 am Reply with quote
Frankly, I fail to see the association with Spice Girls-like yells (oh wait, don't tell me ADV's going to have input on the soundtrack, right?) As much as I like Daichi's work, it'll take more than a reversable cover with the original title to make me buy this version. I know it's about the content, not the title, but they're really pushing it now. Guess I'll wait and see wether or not the R2 release will have English subs like Daichi's Animation Runner Kuromi 1 & 2.
RZetlin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:48 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
wow, that name is really retarded. is that the actual japanese title?

The actual Japanese title according to Animerica is "Leave It Up to Iruka".

The title ADV came up with is almost as bad as the title "Battle Vixens" Tokyopop created for Ikki Tousen.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:40 am Reply with quote
Actually, Battle Vixens has been seen on official Japanese products. That name is not a creation of Tokyopop's...
http://www.animeten.com/details.php?productID=M-MOVC-M534M20-1203 shows on the back image of Movic's release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:46 am Reply with quote
I still think "Samurai X" is the worst, since Rurouni Kenshin is my favorite series, and I have a little bias. Razz
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:54 am Reply with quote
Yep, Samurai X is pretty bad. But that's not NA industry's fault either. That's one of Sony's suggested names for the series, well before the U.S. got ahold of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1