• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Blue Dragon Quest

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad you gave Astral Project an A-. Ever since they announced it I've been looking forward to it, just based on the summary alone (and the cover). I'll definitely pick it up sometime soon.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:05 pm Reply with quote
The Oldboy manga didn't do much for me, but I might give Astral Project a go. (I think this is also the only other anime/manga that actually uses astral projection as a plot device aside from Ghost Hound.)

Oh, and Carlo, you must, must, must read and review Solanin. Viz is releasing it next week, though it's already out at some stores. It's basically a must-read for seinen hipsters who get off on the Sexy Voice and Robo and Tekkon Kinkreet omnibuses. (I'd even go so far as to say that it's the most consistently great new manga released this year.)
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Is it safe to say now there's something of a 'Toradora! Fever' amongst the american anime community?

Either way, is it just me or is this the first time in a long while all the reviewed works got a B- or higher?
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:15 pm Reply with quote
yeah us americans seem to be loving toradora which is a good thing. That means we have a good chance at getting it licensed Wink I was going to pick up RALΩGRAD but after reading a few pages in the bookstore and then this review I think that I won't. Seems to me like takeshi obata should stick to sociopath pretty boys because he gets a little overly enthusiastic when he gets a chance to draw a lot of boobs Rolling Eyes I do remember him saying something about wanting more girls in death note though.
Rika-chama

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:16 pm Reply with quote
OH.

MY.

GOD.

The Kyo Kara Maoh manga is out! Very Happy Must buy now. Can't wait for the novels to come out also (they are releasing the novels right?) Glad to see the good review.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Rika-chama wrote:

The Kyo Kara Maoh manga is out! Very Happy Must buy now. Can't wait for the novels to come out also (they are releasing the novels right?) Glad to see the good review.

My memory is pretty fuzzy in this regard, but I think all of the novelized works released by Tokyopop are more-or-less KIA with the exception of The Twelve Kingdoms. Feel free to mention any titles that I'm missing, though.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:

My memory is pretty fuzzy in this regard, but I think all of the novelized works released by Tokyopop are more-or-less KIA with the exception of The Twelve Kingdoms. Feel free to mention any titles that I'm missing, though.

Full Metal Panic! novel 4 is still being listed on Amazon.com with a December release date, albeit with no cover art. Then again TRSI doesn't have it listed at all, which isn't a good sign. Still need to get vol. 2 (no luck with ordering through comic shops, even though I got an in-stock copy of vol. 3 at my LCS).
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I must say, I expected a much lower grade for RalGrad. I wallowed through all 3 volumes, coming out feeling like I'd wasted my time on all but the first. It had potential to be a whole load of fun, and Obata's art really helped that, but the overall quest just got too uninteresting, and Ral's obsession with boobs was kinda innocent and funny to begin with but it seriously got old after the five hundredth time.
I wonder if it was one of those series that had to abruptly end because of unpopularity, because the end of the last volume was an absolute joke. And not in a funny way: spoiler[Seriously, Big Evil Queen is easilly vanquished; it seemed to take no effort at all, and then Ral just suddenly leaves. No real indication why or anything (well, a vague one), or any real heartfelt goodbyes or anything. Just 'kaybye'. I kind of sighed out loud in disappointment that Obata's art had gone to such waste on it, but on the plus side, if it didn't have his art, it wouldnt be anywhere near as readable.]
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Where it really shines, however, is the characters. None of them, once sufficiently introduced, fit the standard shoujo archetypes. Sawako is eternally optimistic and has such a warm personality that it's impossible not to root for her. She tries her best at everything she does, and although things don't always work out for her, that hard work does pay off. Kazehaya is kind and popular, but he still gets flustered when it comes to the ever-complicated matters of high school romance.

This passage confuses me, because first you claim the characters aren't cliche, then you describe them in ways that makes them sound like they are.

HellKorn wrote:
Oh, and Carlo, you must, must, must read and review Solanin.

Seconded. It's really good. Encourage people to buy it!
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:59 am Reply with quote
You reviewed a lot of titles that I was curious about. Cool beans! As always, a great post. Thank you!
lys

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:54 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Quote:
Where it really shines, however, is the characters. None of them, once sufficiently introduced, fit the standard shoujo archetypes. Sawako is eternally optimistic and has such a warm personality that it's impossible not to root for her. She tries her best at everything she does, and although things don't always work out for her, that hard work does pay off. Kazehaya is kind and popular, but he still gets flustered when it comes to the ever-complicated matters of high school romance.

This passage confuses me, because first you claim the characters aren't cliche, then you describe them in ways that makes them sound like they are.

I've been reading Kimi ni Todoke as well and I would definitely agree with the statement that the characters don't come off clichéd... The descriptions are technically correct: Sawako is eternally optimistic and Kazehaya is popular and kind. I guess what makes them stand out is that these traits come across as very genuine, 3-dimensional (think of the difference between the nicest girl you know in real life and the typical "annoyingly chipper and cheerful" shoujo-manga heroine... the latter just doesn't exist in real life, and if she did you probably wouldn't want to be friends with her) Basically, for me, it comes down to the characters seeming like real people more than shoujo-manga-characters.

The comparison to Fruits Basket is what kind of threw me, though. I like Fruits Basket and I love Kimi ni Todoke but they don't really attract me in the same way. Anyway, I would still add my recommendation to read the series if you can (and whether you like Fruits Basket or not)!!
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:39 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Buster Blader 126 wrote:

Full Metal Panic! novel 4 is still being listed on Amazon.com with a December release date, albeit with no cover art. Then again TRSI doesn't have it listed at all, which isn't a good sign. Still need to get vol. 2 (no luck with ordering through comic shops, even though I got an in-stock copy of vol. 3 at my LCS).

Well, I got a hold of FMP! Novels 1 through 3 easily enough, and I certainly hope that Volume 4 will get released too! As for other novels, they did release 1 through 5 of the Karin (Chibi Vampire) novels - I don't know if there are more or not, let alone if Tokyopop will be releasing them. I thought the fifth novel was going to be axed, but it showed up in the stores anyway.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see Kimi ni Todoke mentioned here, my Japanese friend recommended it to me ages ago...but I don't read Japanese. Here's hoping Viz'll license it soon!
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I read Ral Grad for the dragon =D
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1