• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AIC Teases about Project with Tenchi Creator Kajishima

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:20 am Reply with quote
why a spinoff? that defeats the entire purpose of reviving the franchise.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:32 am Reply with quote
First Tenchi's cousin, now a half-brother?

Wait, Tenchi's half-brother? So, is it the kid that Nobuyuki and his new wife will have or one that his mother had with somebody else?

Not to mention that the whole family is rife with incest. The Masaki clan is like a bunch of intergalactic hillbillies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:45 am Reply with quote
Hopefully I'll turn out better then he's last Tenchi series, the OVA sequel series was a big dissapointment. Keep it simple and fun please, don't add any high intelligent babble that the OVA sequel had which just ruined the fun in the OVA and made things confusing.
2DOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:45 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Not to mention that the whole family is rife with incest.

Like any other royal family. Confused
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:39 am Reply with quote
If anything I've learned about Kajishima is he talks a good game, but doesn't deliver quite what he said he'd do. I'm still waiting for the fourth Ryo-Ohki OVA. But I suppose the crash and burning of the third has put pay to that. Oh well! Yes it's true that incest is the foundation of all his works, with the caveat that in his universe no genetic errors, or defects are suffered, by magic of course, because also in his universe, magic is science.
What are the odds that this "alternate universe" is created by a 12-year-old looking goddess who has red spiky hair, green eyes, and who's name means "eagle wings" ? Wink
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:19 am Reply with quote
Man oh man, this franchise is never going to die, is it?
youngavatar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:12 am Reply with quote
I hope he continues making projects. i also i hope it better then his last project tenchi muyo. it felt like it didn't have a conclusion at all. but i did like tenchi muyo gxp it had a prefect harem ending Laughing
Hikari06

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:15 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

I just hope this will be better than GXP. At least this new series sounds like there will/might be more to it than "lame guy gets hit on by a bevy of hot alien chicks." Granted, that was pretty much the premise for the original Tenchi Muyo, but it had the charm and well-executed humor to make up for it (and the whole "harem" genre wasn't done to death when it came out).

I wonder how much of an audience new editions to the Tenchi franchise can still muster, both in Japan and in the U.S. Anyway, this article made me want to re-watch Vision of Escaflowne. Anime smile
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:30 am Reply with quote
er, I read the description... and wondered how that is not Dual Parrallel...

apparently unlike most others, I like Ryo Oki 3. It is a bit more mature in thought that the earlier OVA, but the elements are definitely there in them. After all, why do you think Clay was doing what he did? You could see even Kagato was playing into all of this. As if it were planned or something. Wink I like GXP for other reasons, because it isn't about the same deep thoughts, but I also missed those deep thoughts. What I've always wondered a bit about for harems like this, is how that interaction will fly when they are older, and it'd make for either an interesting story or a mess.

Just as a curiosity... I'm thinking the story would be later, and potentially about Tenchi's half brother spoiler[Z, the son of Rhea... for whom Tokimi made a special trip to the wedding. Or, perhaps not Z specifically, but another based on Tokimi's interest.]

Also about the intermingling... I would expect that sort of thing a lot in peoples that live for thousands of years, and it is always present hereditary monarchies to an extent...
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:05 am Reply with quote
"Never going to die?"

Hahaha that's the whole point. Actually in an interview (I read quite AWHILE back) the creator stated that had quite a bit more stories to keep the franchise going. As to how long can't say. This comes as a surprise because I had wondered if they were still working on the 'Tenchi' series.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:56 am Reply with quote
The first OVA3 DVD kinda made depressed and feel old. Never actually bought the 2nd, so maybe I should do that, since the 2nd half of the first 2 were more interesting.

I think I'm all Tenchi Muyo'd out. GXP looks uninteresting and Mahou Shoujo Club needs to get the heck away from me. Granted, I made an entire RPG campaign whose secondary objective was to build the mythos of Kiyone Makibi (Mihoshi, too), but I think I'm at my limit. Let me have my memories and move on.

If anyone needs me, I'll be watching Kurenai.
Lann

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I've just read this and it taught me nothing.
Everything it says here I have already known about. Should I feel proud of this? or does that make me a sad person??
Whatever I feel like, this 7 year wait for me personally has been the longest wait for any anime series hype.

OMG ITS NEARLY HERE!!!! SAINT KNIGHT STORY IS NEARLY HERE!! I CANT BELIEVE I AM SAYING THIS!!!!

I hope its name wont change. After 7 years of calling it that, its going to be hard to adjust to anything else.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:17 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
why a spinoff? that defeats the entire purpose of reviving the franchise.

Because this has been planned for years. For whatever reason, it is the story that Kajishima-sensei has wanted to tell.

penguintruth wrote:
First Tenchi's cousin, now a half-brother?

Tenchi's cousin? Who might that be?

Quote:
Wait, Tenchi's half-brother? So, is it the kid that Nobuyuki and his new wife will have or one that his mother had with somebody else?

This is the son of Nobuyuki and Rea. His name is Kenji (or possibly Kenshi depending on the reading Kajishima-sensei uses). He was introduced in flash moment in the GXP anime. He was first seen as part of a story in one of K-sensei's doujinshi a couple of years ago.

ZODDGUTS wrote:
Hopefully I'll turn out better then he's last Tenchi series, the OVA sequel series was a big dissapointment. Keep it simple and fun please, don't add any high intelligent babble that the OVA sequel had which just ruined the fun in the OVA and made things confusing.

Confusing to you, but not to those who've been getting at least some of the information from Japan. Wink Indeed, had K-sensei not given the explanations he did in "episode 20," I think the Tenchi otaku in Japan would have thrown a major fit.

Mohawk52 wrote:
If anything I've learned about Kajishima is he talks a good game, but doesn't deliver quite what he said he'd do.

He does have some problems in the writing area. He has great stories, but he gets too lost in texture when presenting them. He also has this annoying tenancy to not bother with details at times.

Quote:
I'm still waiting for the fourth Ryo-Ohki OVA.

This was always a longshot since officially, OVA 3 ends the Tenchi series. K-sensei has hinted that he might do something with Tenchi after Seikishi Monogatari, but honestly I don't think most people will care for it. I expect it will be stories along the lines of what he's done in recent doujinshi (sans the H-one of course) showing "fun at Tenchi's house."

Wyvern wrote:

Considering the money it still generates, why end it? Wink

youngavatar wrote:
I hope he continues making projects. i also i hope it better then his last project tenchi muyo. it felt like it didn't have a conclusion at all. but i did like tenchi muyo gxp it had a prefect harem ending Laughing

OVA 3 had a conclusion, its just that K-sensei got lost telling what he felt were fun side stories and then the last episode comes off rushed. OVA 3 +1 gave us a bit more closure but I do agree that the explanation of Kiyone's death was poor and there is disappointment in a lack of explanation about Mihoshi.

Hikari06 wrote:
I just hope this will be better than GXP. At least this new series sounds like there will/might be more to it than "lame guy gets hit on by a bevy of hot alien chicks." Granted, that was pretty much the premise for the original Tenchi Muyo, but it had the charm and well-executed humor to make up for it (and the whole "harem" genre wasn't done to death when it came out).

Oh, I think that you can count on this being another harem title. K-sensei loves those too much to let them go, I'm thinking.

Quote:

I wonder how much of an audience new editions to the Tenchi franchise can still muster, both in Japan and in the U.S.

In Japan, I don't think there will be much of a problem. In the U.S., I think that those who liked OVA 3 (flaws and all) will be around for Seikishi Monogatari.

ArthurFrDent wrote:
er, I read the description... and wondered how that is not Dual Parrallel...

That's how it has been from the start. I believe he initially wrote Seikishi Monogatari shortly after Dual!. After all these years, he did rewrite it though.

One thing you have to know about K-sensei's creations (even the H ones) -- he has stated that they are all linked at the corner. That's why there's the tie-in at the corners between GXP (the canon spinoff-sequel of TM!R) and Dual!. There are other tie-in's to other series as well. I think that he considers each of his series to be set in an alternate universe of sorts.

Joe Mello wrote:
The first OVA3 DVD kinda made depressed and feel old. Never actually bought the 2nd, so maybe I should do that, since the 2nd half of the first 2 were more interesting.

You may as well finish the story.

Quote:
I think I'm all Tenchi Muyo'd out. GXP looks uninteresting and Mahou Shoujo Club needs to get the heck away from me.

GXP has its flaws to be sure and certainly K-sensei is reported to not like certain things done (which is why he's supposedly writing all these GXP novels to tell the GXP story his way).

As to Mahou Shoujo Club, AIC knows the Tenchi brand name is still strong. However, this spinoff has virtually nothing to do with Tenchi though (no Tenchi character at all). Personally, I really enjoyed it.

Lann wrote:
OMG ITS NEARLY HERE!!!! SAINT KNIGHT STORY IS NEARLY HERE!! I can't BELIEVE I AM SAYING THIS!!!!

I hope its name wont change. After 7 years of calling it that, its going to be hard to adjust to anything else.

Well, the title did get longer -- Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari. Wink

It is hard to believe that after the last couple of years of him saying, "I'm working on it" that it is officially almost here. Anime smile
krownklown

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:13 pm Reply with quote
^i agree with almost everything astroboy says except for ova 3 ending it, i know I've talked with you about it before but there is still so much stuff left to tell, like how in the doujinshi he may have multiple kids at least one, etc. , so i would love to see that done

-however, i loved gxp it was a lighter more slapstick version of the original ova, and yea Seina is not his cousin - although technically he does marry kiriko who is related to tenchi so he's kinda like a cousin in law i guess

-and i loved ova 3, i will admit the chick doing ryoko's voice tanked, and the show took more of a serious tone, but it also expanded and connected some things together

-i hope this show does well, and i think if it does ova 4 is still a strong possiblity
Anath_19

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:28 pm Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:

OVA 3 had a conclusion, its just that K-sensei got lost telling what he felt were fun side stories and then the last episode comes off rushed. OVA 3 +1 gave us a bit more closure but I do agree that the explanation of spoiler[Kiyone's death] was poor and there is disappointment in a lack of explanation about Mihoshi.

Um... spoiler that please? Not only does it seem rather important, it's about a character who wasn't even in the first two OVA series (yet was present in the two TV series).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4