• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Samples Free Anime on iPhone, iPod Touch via vSNAX

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Its true! Thank you ADV! Its under the Anime! channel for those of you who use this application. Not the full series but can keep you entertained
Nebs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:42 pm Reply with quote
This app is in desperate need of a search feature. The anime section seems to show only the 20 most recent uploaded videos & nothing else. When you click on a clip you can view 25 "related" clips, but the related clips are always the same ones- 23 random parts of Azumanga Daioh & 2 of Mythical Detective Loki. There's no way to find any other clips. Watching random parts of a series is fine with something like Azumanga I suppose, but there's no way a person could follow Saiyuki or Gun Frontier on this thing. None of this is ADV's fault of course, but vSNAX could be so much better just by adding one little search feature.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
bleuster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:59 pm Reply with quote
The "self-published" link about Abe's doujin is broken.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
abstract-alchemist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Not the most intelligent idea; how many anime fans really own an IPhone; I spend the money on more anime, not tech. At least not often.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I downloaded the app and agree that it needs a search feature. And about the only time I could see actually watching anime on this would be when I'm at school. Anywhere else and I either a) don't have wifi access or b) could just stick in one of my own DVDs. Still, I see this as a nice beginning stepping stone to something that could be better. And it certainly isn't a detriment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:58 pm Reply with quote
abstract-alchemist wrote:
Not the most intelligent idea; how many anime fans really own an IPhone; I spend the money on more anime, not tech. At least not often.

I have a couple of friends who own IPhones. They're rich enough to be contented anime fans, but they spend their money on macbooks and little clocks they wear around their wrists.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marzipan.dragon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:35 am Reply with quote
I got a free Ipod touch when I bought my macbook so I'll try it out when I get the chance.. Anime smile
clsnwbrdr616

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:09 am Reply with quote

Remember it's not just the iphone, but the ipod touch, too. I don't have the budget for the crazy month service plans so I got a Touch (pretty easy to find wi-fi). It's only $230 for one now, which I don't think is that bad at all.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:14 am Reply with quote
clsnwbrdr616 wrote:
Remember it's not just the iphone, but the ipod touch, too. I don't have the budget for the crazy month service plans so I got a Touch (pretty easy to find wi-fi). It's only $230 for one now, which I don't think is that bad at all.
You will when it's half that price this time next year. Hell with the present economy, it might even be half price before Christmas. Laughing
clsnwbrdr616

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:27 am Reply with quote
lol, actually I already know how that feels. It dropped to $230 only a few months after I got it. But then again, that happens with everything. Smile
Crawly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:50 am Reply with quote

Actually, a lot of anime fans are AV philes and early adopters of new technology. Not to mention gamers. They spend a lot on technology. The IPhone is extremely popular regardless of what one watches for entertainment, and there's a large group of casual watchers who don't really classify as anime fans, but like something they've seen on tv and might jump over there to see what else is out there. Like a lot of these kinds of things, companies aren't aiming them at the fans, since they know that group will buy dvds regardless of other options. This is just advertising to see if they can wheel in some new buyers who wouldn't otherwise know their titles exist.
lord_darkseid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:32 am Reply with quote
Eclectic selections of anime listed. Slightly surprised by the inclusion of Gun Frontier. Well, anything to find new markets for shows should be cool.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I was all over the iphone, because it was the only phone I wanted and I happened to be on upgrade right around then.
I downloaded the app, and I can't wait to see how it looks.

Alright then, so the video is messed up for all of the videos, I tried one vid from each channel. I will say that the audio on others outside of the anime ones was good or even too good; I couldn't hear Loki well, it sounded like they were mumbling even with the earphones.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1