• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chicks On Anime - Fan Fiction (Part 2)

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:20 pm Reply with quote
The link to page 2 is broken.

Good discussion so far though. I'm not really one for fanfics, but the dialogue here and in last week's installment has made me more aware of the depth that fan fiction can sometimes have.
Cait

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Three mistakes:

1. The name of Natalie's fan fic is "Sakura and Snow" not "Sakura in Snow."

2. The link for page 2 is written wrong on the url. There is a "21" where there should be a "20" at the end.

The correct link:

animenewsnetwork.com/chicks-on-anime/2008-10-20/2

3. The word "canon" is spelled wrong consistently throughout the article. A "cannon" is a weapon, while "canon" comes from religion, as a reference to the "accepted" texts of scripture.
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I noticed how they keep spelling "canon" wrong. Someone in that article needs to learn to spell right. This isn't a weapons article!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nanook

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:19 pm Reply with quote
As a published writer, admittedly not of fiction, I find the very nature of fanfiction to be abhorrent in the extreme. You can't create an emotional attachment yourself, so you go about rearranging characters as you see fit? It's a bad way for a thirteen year old girl to masturbate, and a good way for a mediocre writer to get skyrocketed to instant fame.

Not that I'm referencing this writer; I've never read her work.
It's just a general observation.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm fairly annoyed by people who seem to place the happiness of fictional characters over a good story being told.

I will say it is possible for fan-fiction to surpass the original. Dan Kim's Nana's Everyday Live and Otoufu's Trading Dolls are examples. However, there's a certain dignity that comes with originality. If Kim would actually work on one of his original comics, I'm sure I'd hold it in higher regard than Nana for that reason.

Last edited by Fronzel on Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nanook

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
I'm fairly annoyed by people who seem to place the happiness of fictional characters over a good story being told.

I agree entirely.
Happy people does not a good story make.
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:00 am Reply with quote
Naomi Novak wrote Master and Commander fics, which segued perfectly into her published series. Meljean Brook did too, and she has a great FAQ about her thoughts on fan fiction (I could only find the cached version,sorry). Lois McMaster Bujold started out writing Trek fic, and her first published story morphed from a Klingon/Federation romance.

My thoughts are that fan fiction is an expression of love from fans. There are some people who want to split people who write fan fiction into sections, like fans who do it for love and fans who are "serious". I always find it funny that the ones who do this always place themselves on the "serious" side. Give me a break. It's a fan activity. And it's a continuum. There are no sides, just people of varying talents wanting to be an active part of a fandom they love. And I think that's great. :)
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:20 am Reply with quote
Woot for Novik! =D
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:36 am Reply with quote
Apologies to everyone for the Page 2 problem; I think it's fixed now, if you experience any more issues please PM me.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:50 am Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
I noticed how they keep spelling "canon" wrong. Someone in that article needs to learn to spell right. This isn't a weapons article!

I originally made the changes to the first page while I was editing the column, but a problem with my browser apparently didn't save the changes I made to the second page.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Cait wrote:
The word "canon" is spelled wrong consistently throughout the article. A "cannon" is a weapon, while "canon" comes from religion, as a reference to the "accepted" texts of scripture.

I'm aware of the differences. Unfortunately, my eyes glazed over the words while I was editing the transcript the first time around and I failed the make the edits on the second page the second time around. Thanks for the heads up, though; they've all been changed.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:49 am Reply with quote
I've heard nothing good about the Second Foundation trilogy, so even though I like the Killer Bs' original works I've passed on those books. Orson Scott Card's "The Originist" was pretty good, though, so I'm on the look-out for Foundation's Friends. Funny thing is that the afterword for that story mentioned OSC's edict against writing in another author's universe.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:07 am Reply with quote
Nanook wrote:
Fronzel wrote:

I agree entirely.
Happy people does not a good story make.

Speak for yourself. I for one find a happy ending a requirement to consider a story 'good'. No matter how good a story is otherwise, an unhappy ending will lead me to subtract major points.
Cait

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:33 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

I'm aware of the differences. Unfortunately, my eyes glazed over the words while I was editing the transcript the first time around and I failed the make the edits on the second page the second time around. Thanks for the heads up, though; they've all been changed.

That's cool. Mistakes happen. I also apologize. I didn't mean to sound like I was lecturing. The beta in me just has a habit of finding and wanting to correct things, even when they haven't been solicited requests.

Kimiko_0 wrote:
Speak for yourself. I for one find a happy ending a requirement to consider a story 'good'. No matter how good a story is otherwise, an unhappy ending will lead me to subtract major points.

Then I suppose I wouldn't recommend the canon stories that Natalie Baan's signature fic is based on. Tokyo Babylon and X are nothing but tragic. Personally, though, I don't mind a story as long as it is written well. When it has a tragic ending, it needs to be justified. Throwing one on or doing one to be "different" or "shocking" annoys the hell out of me.

Nanook wrote:
As a published writer, admittedly not of fiction, I find the very nature of fanfiction to be abhorrent in the extreme. You can't create an emotional attachment yourself, so you go about rearranging characters as you see fit? It's a bad way for a thirteen year old girl to masturbate, and a good way for a mediocre writer to get skyrocketed to instant fame.

Not that I'm referencing this writer; I've never read her work.
It's just a general observation.

I suppose considering your attitude on the issue of fan fiction in general, I can't recommend Ms. Baan's fiction, then. If you were willing to be a little more open-minded on the subject I would, since her writing is fantastic. It's far above the average fare you'll find on FF.net and certainly better than a wish-fulfillment fantasy created by a self-pleasuring thirteen year old girl.

I would however argue that fan fiction is not only about "creating an emotional connection." Sometimes it is simply about continuing a storyline when a fan is simply not satisfied with where it ends. Many fan fics are written before the canon story ends and they are used as a means of working through ideas about those stories. I can't tell you how many times I have learned something new about a character or realized something I may have been wrong about in a story by reading someone else's fan fiction.

On top of all of that, I would argue that fan fiction is a means by which young and inexperienced writers can get writing experience when they do not necessarily have talent or confidence as creators. Not everyone needs to be an "artist" to be a writer. Perhaps you as a non-fiction writer can understand that?
Raja

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:07 am Reply with quote
Quickie nitpick:

Splinter of the Mind's Eye actually came out before Empire Strikes Back. Alan Dean Foster said something to the effect that it was meant to be a quick, low-budget film sequel in case Star Wars wasn't a big success.

Turns out they didn't need it, but it was published anyway...
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:32 am Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:

"Sorry, Shakespeare, this script for Romeo & Juliet is far too sad. I want them to have babies at the end!"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5