• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Space pirate anime?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Disclaimer: I know that recommendation threads aren't allowed here, but I hope this is specific enough to warrant non-lockage.

It's common knowledge that the best two video games in existence are Chrono Trigger and FFIII, but few people know that Skies of Arcadia comes in a close third (and Rogue Galaxy is working its way up the ranks). What do these titles have in common? Air/Space Ships/Pirates.

In an effort to find anime with space pirates I looked for that theme in the encyclopedia, but to no avail. (I added it for Outlaw Star, so it exists now.) Then I looked through the "Space" theme, and really didn't find much, except for the obvious Space Pirate Captain Herlock and related releases.

My question to the masses is this: Do you know of any space pirate anime available for purchase in R1? And if you do know of any anime at all with space pirates, please tag it in the encyclopedia so others can find it.
sk1199

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure what you mean exactly. Would a series like Last Exile qualify as a pirate adventure? Or even something like Castle in the Sky? Those are just 2 adventures that I thought of off the top of my head.
Also I'm not sure what/how to change the encyclopedia or even if I should be able to change it.
RedHotFunk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Last Exile would be a good example of an Air ship type anime (though I wouldn't say it fits the pirate thing). Space Pirates though; that's an interesting concept, and I'm sure its been done a couple times before; alas, I couldn't tell you what would fit under that category and whether or not it is available in R1 dvds Sad
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Would Iria-Zeiram fit? Not exactly pirates, but she does fight some outlaws at the beginning, and is a bit of a rogue herself, and there are some scenes in space as well. Hmm, probably not eh?

Wasn't there some piracy in Crest Of The Stars?

Nothing else with space pirates or the like on my anime list I'm afraid.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Oh how I wish there were more Harlock releases in R1, most Leiji shows are worth buying sight unseen when they're a decent price, I did it for Endless Odyssey (usually I'm a staunch opposer to that idea, even all your little bs reviews and crappy previews).

I wish there were more "space pirate" types of shows too, but it's basically be monopolized by Matsumoto, but that stuff is awesome, but most of it unlicensed or subbed.
zaeris

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:13 pm Reply with quote
While I'm unsure Vandread sorta does fit this description although in latter volumes the series develops into something else.
Descent123

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Arcadia of my Youth (a great movie). Part of the Captain Harlock series (a decent number of Captain Harlock stuff was release in the US).

There are others from Leiji Matsumoto that involes space pirates, but you want stuff that's R1. That's tricky.
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Outlaw Star has space pirates in a big way, but you're probably already aware of that one. There are a lot of older anime that deal with that sort of things, like Captain Harlock, but it's hard to say what's still in print what with all the turmoil in the anime companies these days. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Captain Harlock is technically not a space pirate, because he doesn't do pirate things. He just dresses like one. Pirates are thieves and ruthless murderers. For this reason, One Piece isn't about pirates, either. It's like saying a show is about vampires, but nobody sucks any blood in it.

The girls of the Sol Bianca are pirates. I wonder if the original Sol Bianca anime is still available on DVD. That's the show that inspired me to start writing my own space pirate stories.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:22 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Captain Harlock is technically not a space pirate, because he doesn't do pirate things. He just dresses like one. Pirates are thieves and ruthless murderers.

Right, I understand this. Your standard English Knight would have been a complete dick, (and very smelly too) but that doesn't stop writers from putting them in shiny armor and making them act chivalrous and whatnot. It's like Pirates of the Carribean, yeah, they're pirates, but they aren't really all that bad in the movies. The pirates of Skies of Arcadia are the good guys as well. (Seriously, anybody who hasn't played this game needs to rectify the situation)

Thanks for the help everybody! I knew about Herlock, and was putting off looking for anything to buy because I was afraid it would be obscenely expensive, but preliminary amazon searches have gotten my hopes up. I'll also be looking into Sol Bianca and Iria , too bad they are so short though Sad (Crest/Banner and Exlie were already on my hit list for other reasons)
EricDent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:39 am Reply with quote
Here is a list of Space Pirates in anime...according to Wikipedia

Atomsk the Pirate King - anime series FLCL or Fooly Cooly
Harlock, in Captain Harlock
Kagato - Tenchi Muyo!
Kei Pirates - Outlaw Star
Ryoko - Tenchi Muyo!
Ryoko Balta - Tenchi Muyo! GXP (which features loads of Space Pirates)
The Space Pirate crew, in One Piece (Isn't that normal pirate?)
Tullece - DBZ The Tree Of Might

There are probably a couple more. If I remember right there is a show called Space Pirate Miko-chan (or something like that).
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:58 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Captain Harlock is technically not a space pirate, because he doesn't do pirate things. He just dresses like one. Pirates are thieves and ruthless murderers. For this reason, One Piece isn't about pirates, either. It's like saying a show is about vampires, but nobody sucks any blood in it.

So, it's like saying Naruto is about ninja.

Point being: the concept of piracy is generally (but not always) romanticized. Unless a series is intended to be darker, you're not going to have protagonist pirates doing things actual pirates did.

Mars Daybreak is almost about space pirates. They're still sea-going, but it occurs on Mars, and they have mechs.

Edit: no typo here.

Last edited by Dorcas_Aurelia on Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
cool3865

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:58 pm Reply with quote
dont forget Queen Esmeralda very space pirate with kinda like a western theme to it, again Captain Harlock series or Space Pirate Captain Harlock series that you can find on DVD.
Sam-I-Am

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:34 pm Reply with quote
It might be helpful to clarify what you mean by "pirate" themes... people who actually steal for a living, or merely guys who wear eye patches and say 'arghh!' a lot? There's a number of shows that involve nominal pirate gangs that are acting more like resistance movements, and some that have pirates wandering through to be fought off by Our Hero. Do you prefer pirates as heroes or villains?

"Elemental Gelade" features a boy who we first meet as a member of a pirate gang. I haven't seen this series, so I can't vouch for how pirateish it is or isn't.

On the 'pirates in name only' side, there's "Space Pirate Mito" and the sequel "Aoi and Mutsuki", about a boy who discovers he's related to a space pirate, who comes to Earth to help with the resistance movement. These series shouldn't be watched by anyone expecting scope, texture, and deep hidden meaning - they're more about bright colors and absurdity. Still a fun watch, though.

"Infinite Ryvius" is sometimes described as "Lost in Space" meets "Lord of the Flies". The kids aboard the space station end up repeatedly fighting off attackers - if the naval battle aspect of piracy intrigues you, this series is a good solid watch.

"Iria" features bounty hunters biting off a bit more than they planned on chewing - not quite pirates, but in the same shoot-first, ask-later vein of not-quite-legal action teams.

"Hakugei" is a retelling of "Moby Dick" in space, with Ahab as more of a Pirate than in the book version. Another one I know of, but have not personally watched.

"Green Legend Ran" is an old-school classic. The action is planet-bound, and the good guys are resistance fighters, but the story might be close enough to satisfy.

If the derring-do of sailing into the unknown is your thing, "Odin: Starlight Mutiny" might answer. An older movie, the crew of a starship with a experimental drive sails off the edges of the star map.

There was an American animated version of "Treasure Island" a few years back, but the title escapes me atm. The reviewers were not kind to it, iirc.

All of the above are out on R1 DVD, although the older ones may be out of stock.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:31 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
In an effort to find anime with space pirates I looked for that theme in the encyclopedia, but to no avail. (I added it for Outlaw Star, so it exists now.) Then I looked through the "Space" theme, and really didn't find much, except for the obvious Space Pirate Captain Herlock and related releases.

Wouldn't Outlaw Star qualify as space bounty hunters since the main characters were bounty hunters and not pirates? I assume you've seen the OS spin off Angel Links.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2