• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sojitz to Dissolve ARM Subsidiary for Anime Overseas

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:09 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Companies can run deficits for years without "failing."

GATSU wrote:
That's what Ken Lay and the people running Freddie and Fannie said, too.

Amazon.com ran a deficit for 7 years,when in 2002 they made their first quarterly profit. What's more, that profit was entirely unexpected (they foretasted their first profit to come later). Most businesses have a certain "building stage" where they are building their market and client base, not focusing on profit.

What's more, Bandai Visual USA wasn't an independent company, it was a wholly owned subsidiary of Bandai Visual. Effectively a US distribution branch. Companies regularly invest in new divisions or projects for years before they make a profit.

If you aren't aware of this you have no business arguing economics with anyone (try listening and asking questions for once). If you do know this, why are the things you're saying so completely contrary to the way business works?

I don't know what BVUSA's benchmarks were, but their goal certainly wasn't to turn a profit after only two years.

Quote:

How can it not be owned by Bandai when it's the same guy running both places?

wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. (This is public knowledge, 30 seconds of research and you wouldn't have had to embarass yourself with a factually false statement)

About 20% of Bandai Visual was publicly traded up until a little less than a year ago. As a publicly traded company, regardless of the fact that Bandai owned the majority of it's shares, it was an independent company. If you don't understand why, go read up on how public companies work, I'm not hereto educate you on that. Bandai Visual's CEO was (and still is) Kazumi Kawashiro, but he was never CEO of Bandai or Namco Bandai. In late 2007 Namco Bandai acquired all the outstanding shares of Bandai Visual, making it a wholly owned subsidiary. We wrote about that here.

Oh, and for the record, lots of companies share the same CEO without having the same owners. So even if they had the same CEO it wouldn't make BV "not owned by Bandai" but that wasn't the case. They weren't "run by the same guy: and Bandai didn't wholly own BV.

There's really nothing wrong with you not knowing the above, what's really infuriating is that you talk about things you clearly don't know about as if you were an expert in the field.

Quote:
As for Sojitz, well, they make whatever profit they got out of key titles from ADV, and whatever they made through renegotiation with ADV, and finally through renegotiation with FUNimation. ...
Sojitz made double its money through two companies, so I'm not sure how it lost this one.
Goddamn where do you come up with these ridiculous ideas ? Sojitz never sold any licenses to ADV, and ADV never actually "licensed" those titles. The licenses were actually granted to ARM and ADV handled marketing/sales/production/distribution.

Quote:
Only incompetent CEOs fold profitable subsidiaries into other subsidiaries

At first you'd think this was true. Seems logical, why shut down a profitable venture? Sounds like a dumb thing to do. Well, smarter people than you and I do it all the time.

Profitable companies/divisions/subsidiaries do get shut down under anyone of the following conditions:
1) The company's assets are worth more than the company (with the exception of investment companies/banks/etc, company valuation is usually based on revenue/profit and growth forecast, not assets);
2) The company is profitable today,but expected to become unprofitable in the near future with no possibility of returning to profit (quitting while you're ahead)
3) (in the case of subsidiaries/divisions) More profit could be made by shifting the resources or capital being used to another division,
4) (again in the case of subsidiaries/divisions) group sales (gross revenue) can be maintained while slashing expenses by merging two profitable but redundant divisions (had BVUSA been profitable, this would have been a good reason to get rid of it regardless).

There you go, 4 scenarios where it makes sense to end a profitable company/division or fold it into another one. There are plenty more. Of course this has nothing to do with BV because it wasn't profitable. I'm just giving a further example that you really need to stop making completely uninformed and false statements. What seems logical to you isn't always actually true because you may not be aware of all the information.

-t
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:13 am Reply with quote
tempest:
Quote:
Amazon.com ran a deficit for 7 years,when in 2002 they made their first quarterly profit.

Yes, but they got the kind of exposure in TIME which allowed them to run at that kind of a deficit. Plus, they did everything on the cheap to insure that they didn't have huge losses. And they were the only real online vendor at the time of their start-up, thus giving them a head-start over the competition.

Quote:
Most businesses have a certain "building stage" where they are building their market and client base, not focusing on profit.

BV just seemed to want to alienate its potential client base.

Quote:
Companies regularly invest in new divisions or projects for years before they make a profit.

But BV chose to let Geneon and Synch Point pick up their slack. They did not take any real risks, and even admitted as such, which means they were expecting instant profit.

Quote:
If you do know this, why are the things you're saying so completely contrary to the way business works?

I thought the way that most business works is that entrepreneurs generally bs their way into loans, and then, after setting up shop, they only sell services and products which are most profitable for them, and the least convenient for consumers. Or that CEOs convince other companies to merge or co-invest and then pocket whatever inflated profit is established from the stock re-evaluation.

Quote:

I don't know what BVUSA's benchmarks were, but their goal certainly wasn't to turn a profit after only two years.

If that's not the case, then they wouldn't charge significantly higher prices than the competition.

Quote:
As a publicly traded company, regardless of the fact that Bandai owned the majority of it's shares, it was an independent company.

It's only independent in the sense that it can do whatever it wants with its capital; but it still has to answer to its boss. If it was really independent, it wouldn't have to worry about being merged with another subsidiary.

Quote:
Goddamn where do you come up with these ridiculous ideas ? Sojitz never sold any licenses to ADV,

No, but they forced ADV to renegotiate their cut of the licenses.

Quote:
and ADV never actually "licensed" those titles.

ADV just had a significant stake in those titles.

Quote:
Seems logical, why shut down a profitable venture? Sounds like a dumb thing to do. Well, smarter people than you and I do it all the time.

More like people who can only run a business by downsizing... Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Profitable companies/divisions/subsidiaries do get shut down under anyone of the following conditions:
1) The company's assets are worth more than the company (with the exception of investment companies/banks/etc, company valuation is usually based on revenue/profit and growth forecast, not assets);

If the assets are worth more than the company, then it'd be smarter to expand, not contract. All you end up doing in a situation where you fold a profitable venture is laying off the competent people who made it successful.

Quote:
The company is profitable today,but expected to become unprofitable in the near future with no possibility of returning to profit (quitting while you're ahead)

If it might be unprofitable in the future, you improve what might be unprofitable about it, or you get someone equally suitable to succeed you.

Quote:
More profit could be made by shifting the resources or capital being used to another division,

That's usually just bs corporate PR, and rarely a valid argument. It's not about profit, but about cut-backs benefiting people at the top.

Quote:
group sales (gross revenue) can be maintained while slashing expenses by merging two profitable but redundant divisions

Only if those divisions actually can do the same job together as they could separately.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:26 am Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe:

Well I was mostly responding to the Ouran High School Host Club(or any other new titles) comment, but yeah the ADV titles in general is just a messed up situation. While I don't think the pricing is all that unfair, I do see what you mean by at least combine the boxes. Even if they raised the price by 25% it would still be better. On the other hand from their point of view those titles never went through a full run when suddenly they got dumped with them, and I think they planned the pricing as such. Of course now they are releasing the final volumes of those titles(for people like me, my artboxes thank you FUNi), and the pricing doesn't make as much sense. And at this point it is a little late to change that since the boxes were planned first.

Anyway let's hope that this is the last time(*crosses fingers*) we see a situation like this in the NA anime industry, then things like this won't happen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:30 am Reply with quote
I have to agree with Tempest on his assessment on anime licensing. Usually when an anime company such as Bandai, ADV or FUNImation announces they have obtained a license, what they're actually referring to is that they have distribution rights for those series, not the license.

As far as FUNI goes, no one is disputing that FUNI seems to be the bigger company but they have a lousy track schedule as far as pricing goes I've found that Media Blasters, Bandai Entertainment and ADV Films seem to price their anime slightly lower than FUNI does and as an end result, they have lasted as long as they because of these practices.

Bandai Entertainment seems to be the more respected out of the studios here in the United States with Viz Video and ADV Films trailing behind them. I think the only reason FUNI has become larger is because of their acquisition of the Geneon catalogue and the ADV titles from Sojitz.

There still remains some apathy among anime fans where it concerns FUNI. Their decision to release a good portion of the Geneon titles while staying staying away from Geneon's Tenchi titles (much of that anger from FUNI's own message boards) as well as FUNI's apparent attutude against releasing Love Hina, a series they acquired after Bandai Entertainment lost the rights to it. FUNI has held the license to the Love Hina television series and the movies since 2006 yet they have neglected to release it or offer any indication as why they haven't.

I think the response from FUNI was that they had no interest in acquiring or releasing the Tenchi Universe, Tenchi in Tokyo, the Tenchi movies or the Tenchi Muyo OVA series.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:29 am Reply with quote
dangerwhat wrote:
should have seen this one coming -.- No surprise here. Because Sojitz and ADV couldn't play nice, both companies suffer.

I was kinda susprised.I just hope that it aint the end of the industry in the US.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kireek

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:58 am Reply with quote
Ahhhh yes, the good old simple days of anime on VHS tape, such memories.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:06 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
words

Apologies but I'm just going to stop reading your posts at this point. You continue to spout inaccuracies, miscomprehensions and complete falsities when I'm doing my best to explain what actually happened and is happening in the industry (understanding the anime industry and explaining it to people is after all my job). I really thought you had grown up a bit from that argumentative kid that would say really dumb things in this forum 8-years-ago, but it seems like nothing has changed.

-t
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:48 am Reply with quote
Well, some of us still respect you, Tempest ... Laughing

At least some of us have learned when to step back ... Very Happy
Kireek

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:55 am Reply with quote
Over 6000 posts and being on this forum so long has killed his mind.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:08 am Reply with quote
nyuck nyuck ... who cares about funi anyway? not me. I have my 450+ anime dvd library ... everything's good. Laughing
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Tempest: And I really thought most people who ran businesses made decisions to further the success of the company, and not just a few key players once, too.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Gatsu, you really need to give it a rest. Until you've run your own business and you have experience in running a business I wouldn't start criticizing ...

I've ran my own website for almost five years now and I know how much effort and time goes into making it run ... it's almost like a business with a staff of volunteers who Moderate the forums as well as what I put into adding new content to the site ... it's almost like a business ...

While I may not like the way FUNImation markets and prices its DVD's that's their decision but you need to start reading what your posting and put some thought behind it as well.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Wolfe:
Quote:
Until you've run your own business and you have experience in running a business I wouldn't start criticizing ...

Given that I can't find a job or job security because of how business is run in this country, I think I have a perfect right to criticize it. And given that it's happening to youth in Japan, too, I imagine I have free reign to attack BV and Sojitz as well. If Tempest wasn't living in Canada, he'd know what it was really like, too. But he's only able to say whatever he wants about the market, because his tax dollars are being used for his health care, and not some faceless corporations.

Quote:
I've ran my own website for almost five years now and I know how much effort and time goes into making it run ...

I ran someone else's website for free, so that doesn't impress me.
kashicat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Personally I'd rather have my anime on some sort of physical medium. Digital downloads are great if you're into that stuff, but for me watching anime is my escape from the internet and my PC. Even more so with all the problems I have had with my PC this year since around March. I would rather have something I can pop in my DVD player so I can just relax and enjoy.

This, exactly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:02 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Given that I can't find a job or job security because of how business is run in this country, I think I have a perfect right to criticize it.
OMG, the irony... I was just getting ready to say quite facetiously that you should get a job and learn something about business. Dude, the reason you don't have a job is because you don't understand business at all and won't listen to anyone else's viewpoint who demonstrably knows more than you do, if for no other reason than they do have a job. That is precisely how you would learn about business, and then be able to function within it and contribute in a way that would make you a desirable employee. Just the fact that you are blaming "business" for no job security means you don't understand what creates job security.

GATSU wrote:
Richard: There weren't any good intentions. The lenders were simply rigging the market by targeting people in lower incomes in order to sell more houses.

This is a political line developed after the debacle began, because of course "somebody must pay!", and it won't be the politicians who set up the playing field or the Fed who virtually controls the monetary system in the U.S. That "somebody", regardless, will now be the U.S. taxpayer.

I worked for one of the largest mortgage companies at the time. The people running the place were extremely bright, well-intentioned, and doing everything possible within the rules of the game to make money for the company's stockholders and the employees. They were so good, that despite decades of conservative financial management success, they literally out-ran their own tremendously strong safe-guards, because the rules had become just that faulty. If you offer someone a reward for "doing more", and they are the type who likes to compete, improve and win, then don't be surprised when they exceed the expectations you had when you made the rules. The law of unintended consequences so applies in this case.

CCSYueh wrote:

Basically, it was a bad idea resulting from good intentions by people who really didn't know what the hell they were doing.

That is epitaph-worthy writing, that is.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9