• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Code Geass: Over One Million Discs Served

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kokuryu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:52 am Reply with quote
First release is 6000yen for the DVD and 7000yen for the BluRay discs, but the older releases are only 1900yen each...
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:53 am Reply with quote
Still only two episodes a disc, I noticed. You'd think with Blu-Ray...
Onsokumaru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:06 pm Reply with quote
lol Geass
Why does this not surprise me? It's a pretty popular series...and it'll only gain in popularity as time goes on.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Onsokumaru wrote:
lol Geass
Why does this not surprise me? It's a pretty popular series...and it'll only gain in popularity as time goes on.

except that it nearly went to a trainwreck <_<

episodes 19-24 of R2 = bad bad bad. 25 - okay wrap-up but this series could have been 20x better had they paced it better and cut all the "filler" or random and unnecessary junk
BleuVII

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Onsokumaru wrote:
lol Geass

except that it nearly went to a trainwreck <_<

episodes 19-24 of R2 = bad bad bad. 25 - okay wrap-up but this series could have been 20x better had they paced it better and cut all the "filler" or random and unnecessary junk

Are you kidding?! R2 19-24 successfully re-defined the word "bombastic," which I theorized around R2 week 15 was the entire point of the show. The story twists and turns felt like I was listening to an old Hero legend from an English bard.

It was fan-pandering at its finest, and I loved every moment of it.
DarkHunter6523

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I second the trainwreck proposition...

The pacing was awful and there were gaping holes in significant plot points. Shirley's sudden change from severe paranoia to "<3 lulu long time" over the course of 3 seconds left me crying not for what happened, but rather the abhorrently poor execution of such a quality build up.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the show throughly, but it was more akin to the sadistic glee of watching a speeding train charge towards the end of the line with no signs of stopping.
And for a show that makes no attempt to hide their giant robot toy plugs, I was severely disappointed at the lack of "Guren and/or Lancelot vs everyone else" moments.
Jaziek

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:06 pm Reply with quote
R2 managed to do something that VERY few series have ever done before by being simultaneously terrible and yet jaw droppingly awesome. I loved every second of it for what it was, but I dont doubt that if it had continued the way R1 had started, it would have been just as good.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:14 pm Reply with quote
shipping and selling is not the same thing incase people have forgotten...

I doubt it will sell that many, and it is really lame how it's only 2 eps per bluray...waste of technology
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I love how you can never mention this shows popularity without people whining about it anymore. It like the auto-reaction of all the haters out there who just can't let it go that their favourite show wasn't the hit of the season.

The show was damn well fine, it just had a really unusual final set of episodes that happened to be unusual in that they were a major struggle for the hero in a manner that wasn't in keeping with the kind we usually see in anime. The pacing was also fine, it just wasn't what people seem to be used to these days. People need to just get over it already and realize that they are more mad about what the show isn't then what it is with all the complaining about pandering, merchandise plugs, how it compares to the first season, rumoured rewrites of early episodes etc. Ummmmm duh, and what are all the other anime out there doing then? I guess Geass is special in that way though that you are now supposed to complain about every aspect of it, while other shows get at least a reasonable sizing up.

Internet trends, can't live with em', unfortunately can't seem to live without em'.
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Jaziek wrote:
R2 managed to do something that VERY few series have ever done before by being simultaneously terrible and yet jaw droppingly awesome. I loved every second of it for what it was, but I don't doubt that if it had continued the way R1 had started, it would have been just as good.

That's the cheese effect. And just about everyone loves cheese.

1 million copies proves that people love cheese.
cyberbeing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Japan isn't that big, so if they have shipped over 1 million, they must have sold at least 900-950 thousand. Unless you somehow expect individual stores to keep something like 10,000+ extra copies in their warehouses.
FanFicGuru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:04 pm Reply with quote
cyberbeing wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

Japan isn't that big...

Um, huh? Granted geographically it's not much larger than California...but there are still a crap-ton of retailers who could carry 200-500 between on-shelf and storage.

I don't doubt that it's sold a lot, but I wouldn't underestimate the number of retailers who might be sitting on a fair number of DVDs/Blu-ray.

I'd also like to point out that while American fans are constantly whining about pricing for DVDs and box sets, Japanese fans are buying 2-episode Blu-ray releases for 7000 yen a pop.

Does that make them stupid, or dedicated?
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Jaziek wrote:
R2 managed to do something that VERY few series have ever done before by being simultaneously terrible and yet jaw droppingly awesome. I loved every second of it for what it was, but I don't doubt that if it had continued the way R1 had started, it would have been just as good.

That's a great description for the show. It's full of ridiculous plot twists (about one every 10 minutes) ridiculously cheesy lines, people switching alliances at the drop of a hat, and a 16 year old who is somehow smarter than the entire military of the world's most powerful nation.

And yet, it all works. I think the sheer audacity of the show, the willingness to try out plotlines and twists which have such a huge potential to crash and burn in spectacular fashion, are what give Geass its charm. Like Lelouch, the show's writing smacks of gutsy, sometimes reckless risk-taking. Also like Lelouch, it's so totally convinced of its own brilliance that it manages to convince viewers of it, too, through sheer bravado (as opposed to actual quality.)

It's a fun show, but what makes it a landmark is that it's so darn insistent on itself. It won't even entertain the notion that the latest crazy twist might not make any sense, and by the time you realize it didn't, you've been distracted by three other twists/character deaths/betrayals and don't care anymore.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Jaziek wrote:

That's a great description for the show. It's full of ridiculous plot twists (about one every 10 minutes) ridiculously cheesy lines, people switching alliances at the drop of a hat, and a 16 year old who is somehow smarter than the entire military of the world's most powerful nation.

And yet, it all works. I think the sheer audacity of the show, the willingness to try out plotlines and twists which have such a huge potential to crash and burn in spectacular fashion, are what give Geass its charm. Like Lelouch, the show's writing smacks of gutsy, sometimes reckless risk-taking. Also like Lelouch, it's so totally convinced of its own brilliance that it manages to convince viewers of it, too, through sheer bravado (as opposed to actual quality.)

It's a fun show, but what makes it a landmark is that it's so darn insistent on itself. It won't even entertain the notion that the latest crazy twist might not make any sense, and by the time you realize it didn't, you've been distracted by three other twists/character deaths/betrayals and don't care anymore.

And the fact that they even bothered to take risks with the story is what makes me think rather highly of the production behind the series. What a lot of people don't seem to realize is that they've been watching such safe, arguably go nowhere series, that follow strict formulas of story telling for the longest time now that when a show comes along that says "to hell with all that, we're telling this story our way", their first instinct is to call it poorly written.

Though pretty much every story element or plot twist actually does makes perfect sense if you actually gave the show the time to see them out and were one of the group that was actually paying attention instead of whining about how it's wrong to take the time to try and make sense of the show (for all the 5 minutes it arguably took) when the time came for the scene that was intended to make the audience go "Oh I get it now".

Unfortunately that didn't happen with many people so we're left with two crowds. The people that insist it doesn't make sense because they were to busy insisting it didn't make sense to follow the story, and the people that actually watched the episode with an open mind and a willingness to entertain the shows lack of playing by the regular rules of anime storytelling and ended up getting it in the end. Count me among the latter.

Also need I mention that aspect of the average dissident who will talk about "quality" as if theirs is the sole definition of what makes a show have or lack it. That wasn't helping R2 either. For a show that had so many cards stacked against it by the end though I'm still glad to see that it's doing well. It hardly deserves half of the criticism it constantly gets now considering that so many shows are guilty of the same things that only became issues of contention once they came up in Code Geass.
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
Jaziek wrote:

And the fact that they even bothered to take risks with the story is what makes me think rather highly of the production behind the series. What a lot of people don't seem to realize is that they've been watching such safe, arguably go nowhere series, that follow strict formulas of story telling for the longest time now that when a show comes along that says "to hell with all that, we're telling this story our way", their first instinct is to call it poorly written.

Though pretty much every story element or plot twist actually does makes perfect sense if you actually gave the show the time to see them out and were one of the group that was actually paying attention instead of whining about how it's wrong to take the time to try and make sense of the show (for all the 5 minutes it arguably took) when the time came for the scene that was intended to make the audience go "Oh I get it now".

Unfortunately that didn't happen with many people so we're left with two crowds. The people that insist it doesn't make sense because they were to busy insisting it didn't make sense to follow the story, and the people that actually watched the episode with an open mind and a willingness to entertain the shows lack of playing by the regular rules of anime storytelling and ended up getting it in the end. Count me among the latter.

Also need I mention that aspect of the average dissident who will talk about "quality" as if theirs is the sole definition of what makes a show have or lack it. That wasn't helping R2 either. For a show that had so many cards stacked against it by the end though I'm still glad to see that it's doing well. It hardly deserves half of the criticism it constantly gets now considering that so many shows are guilty of the same things that only became issues of contention once they came up in Code Geass.

I like Code Geass. It was one of the most entertaining series I have ever seen for the past two years. It wasn't akin to the entertainment obtained reading a well-written and critically acclaimed novel, however. Most of it was a rush of adrenaline, or having finished watching a movie like Face/Off. When one would look back at it, one could not be able to deny its many flaws; however, one would also not be able to deny the fun that it produced. Geass is an entertaining show, there is no doubt about that.

However, it's not a very intuitive, or an intellectual show. The show itself appealed primarily to my emotions and not to my thinking. If I even tried thinking about the series intently, I immediately saw some inconsistencies with the plot spoiler[(the FLEIA itself, for example)], and some other things that were absurd, to say a word spoiler[(like Jupiter, or the world of C)]. Nevertheless, it was a most entertaining show, and despite its pathos I was able to root for the relationship between CC and Lelouch (I guess the length of CC's suffering got to me).

Despite the lack of a proper conclusion, I was satisfied with the series as it entertained me. In my own criteria I would rank the series a 10/10. However, looking at its plot, its characters, its coherence, and ultimately, its believability I cannot but give the series any more than a 5.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3