• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Bleach the Movie: Memories of Nobody DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alucalb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I caught this at the theater a while ago, it was a lot of fun. Hope they'll give Diamond Dust Rebellion a run, next.
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Sure you have to be fan of Bleach to enjoy it, but if you aren't already then you're probably not reading this.

i disagree with this statement because i only watched the 1st 6 episodes of Bleach on Adult Swim so to say i wasnt a fan of Bleach or at least not by much. then, i stopped watching it on adult swim and yet i went to the theatres when it was playing at a theatre near me and this movie actually made me a fan of the bleach series
matthewlow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:51 am Reply with quote
Yamamoto's the villain? Aren't we looking at Troy Baker's Ganryu...

Memories of Nobody is overall a pretty good movie, considering that many movies of long shonen anime don't introduce the new characters well or have some horribly anti-climatic ending. This one makes you care and has enough of the fan-favorite characters to make it fun. I even went to go see it twice in theaters (albeit once was at San Diego to see Kubo), and enjoyed it both times.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:36 am Reply with quote
Guess it's just me, but I thought Kenpachi falling from the sky was awesome! I did feel the cameos near the end were kinda pointless (if Chad/Orihime/Uryuu had nothing important to do, I say omit them completely and focus more on those that have a part).

As for the standard by which movie versions of long-running shonen series should be judged, I say check out One Piece movies 4 and 6. The 4th one is a solid adventure that could have been written by Oda himself (actually, movie 10 will be written by Oda, so it'll possibly be the first to truly break the rule), and I've met people who hate One Piece but still love movie 6.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I saw this fansubbed a while back, it was alright, not great but alright. Its a hell of a lot better than Diamond Dust Rebellion was, of course that was just fan pandering.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I really thought that this movie did an excellent job, particularly considering a) it is guaranteed to be filler and b) Bleach isn't at all used to story arcs that only last, essentially, 3-5 episodes in length. But it managed to pace itself fairly well, giving a nice mix of action and character. I found the very end scene to be remarkably touching and I'd definitely see this again (not something I would say about most movies of the shonen filler sort).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FMPhoenixHawk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I, too, saw it in the theater. It was good. I would watch it again. And they showed some of the extras before the flick, and they were kind of funny. I might buy this if I can.
abstract-alchemist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Having only this movie to judge the "standard shounen fighting derived movie", I would say it pretty accomplished what it set out to do: provide one of the best shounen fighting shows in epic theater format and quality. There are so many constrains that the story teller and directors have to operate under that it is nearly impossible to create a "unique experience". Forget trying to make a Bleach movie under the assumption that you don't have any connection to the characters, because it's impossible to do so. This movie, as judged by it's proper audience, that is watchers of Bleach (not necessarily fans, but followers of the show ), is a good movie and satisfied our need to see bankais in movie size and theatrical quality. In those terms, no qualms about this movie at all.

I don't think Kenpachi's entrance was excessively cheese, either, cause the guy's insane anyway, so the more spectacular and crazy the entrance, the more in character it would be for him.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:31 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Guess it's just me, but I thought Kenpachi falling from the sky was awesome! I did feel the cameos near the end were kinda pointless (if Chad/Orihime/Uryuu had nothing important to do, I say omit them completely and focus more on those that have a part).

As for the standard by which movie versions of long-running shonen series should be judged, I say check out One Piece movies 4 and 6. The 4th one is a solid adventure that could have been written by Oda himself (actually, movie 10 will be written by Oda, so it'll possibly be the first to truly break the rule), and I've met people who hate One Piece but still love movie 6.

It's not just you, I find pretty much everything that Kenpachi does to be awesome.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1