• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken: Nene + Moto Slave

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:53 pm Reply with quote
If you're frustrated with it, send it to me. I'd eat puppies to get ahold of a Bubblegum Crisis figure (it being one of my favorite anime), which is both pretty rare and extremely expensive.

Though, like you, I'd prefer Priss.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dardre

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Ah, come on Rob don't hold back! Tell us how you really feel about this toy!

*ducks to avoid any potential thrown Nene-body-parts*

I thought the first picture made at least Nene look pretty good... then I saw the close-ups and winced... yeah, that doesn't look all that good. And you can see just how cheap the plastic for the Moto-slave is just by the pics (the plastic has that 'almost translucent' look of really cheap plastic).

So Nene has two different back-pack-with-wings thingies? Why didn't they just design one back-piece that allowed you to shift the wings around? Rolling Eyes

For $60, they can keep this. I loved Bubblegum Crisis, but not enough to pay that much for something so obviously cheaply made.
Lunarose

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Eh, poor Nene. Laughing I love the last picture, that always cracks me up. Hey, this toy makes Gan-chan and Ai-chan look rather well made, doesn't it?
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You've wasted my time, Nene. I'd tear your leg off in revenge, if it WEREN'T ALREADY LAYING ON MY FLOOR.

That hilarious - yet scathingly insightful - line sums up the entire review. You justifiably hate the figurine because of the awful quality.

If I was reviewing your review, I would give it 10/10. An awesome read, even for someone such as myself who isn't into buying figurines and toy models. Hope you review something really good next week, because you deserve some R and R.
dalbkino

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Wow... I remember watching that anime years ago...

Great review... loved the last picture lol!

Last edited by dalbkino on Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, I guess I'll stick to trying to locate a resin kit of Sylia. Like the review says, the shame of it is that us BGC fans are still out there and there haven't been good figures in a while if at all.
Faceman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Hey Rob, thanks a bunch for this review! I've been thinking the last few months of getting the Priss model - the anime shop in town has one in stock - but now I'm glad I didn't spring for it. For the amount of money, and seems like a real piece of crap. I'd rather save my money and get something else with it.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:05 am Reply with quote
Your talent for scathing commentary and sarcastic photography is unmatched. That last picture had me in stitches. Keep it coming. Very Happy
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:43 am Reply with quote
Damn! I've been awaiting these. I absolutely adore BGC/ADP et al. Great cyberpunk stories, hilariously snotty characters, girls, guns, guts... just awesome. I dug this stuff from way back when you D Gray Man fans were in kindergarten. I was tickled pink by the AD Police files review last week, and this one popping up on the main page had me stoked too.

What a disappointment! It's even worse when it's something that you love and respect and it's a POS. I will say that the review was great and I laughed at it... too bad this has sullied the name of an already rarified series.

Newbies: save the money and get the boxed sets of the originals. You won't regret it, and they still look great.
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:15 am Reply with quote
i ALMOST bought all 4 figures when it came out few months back but i didn't have enough money...

good thing because it looks like it's not upto par on figure quality...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Njr Resurrection

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:35 am Reply with quote
I'd be more sympathetic generally if the writer had not badmouthed the anime so much. Remember anime is fantasy, so high heels are cool, feminine & work well.

Only Priss had a Motoslave (also in BGCT2040). The others' hard suits had jets & other devices, but the Motoslave was Priss's alone.

I have the Priss + Motoslave, but have not unboxed it yet as my display space has a queue of figures waiting their turn. When the BGC Blu Ray is released in Japan (& I have it!), my model's turn will come.

And it is a re-poseable display model, not a toy.
That does not excuse Nene's leg falling off though. The instruction sheet is made for patient Japanese collectors who are probably used to such presentation, rather than impatient westerners with Transformer memories Wink

Its a shame Tamiya never went for anime figures & mecha. I used to buy all their tanks & WW2 models. Excellent quality kits & plastic.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:35 am Reply with quote
the figure looks really cheaply made. does the helmet come off?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I am actually angered by the shoddy construction of both the figure and the mecha/cycle, and the cheap-ass plastic used, and the fact that it looks stupid, even after you've deciphered how to transform the damn thing. I'm especially angry that I had to spend several hours writing this Astro Toy column about it, when there are other better toys I clearly should have ordered. You've wasted my time, Nene. I'd tear your leg off in revenge, if it WEREN'T ALREADY LAYING ON MY FLOOR.

We have here a man broken by a toy, and a toy about to be broken by a man. A truely woeful state of affairs if you ask me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:01 am Reply with quote
Came really close to buying the Priss set, had it preordered and everything, but had to cancel due to an unexpected expense. Kinda glad I did now.

In 2005 Atelier-Sai produced high quality figures of the four girls that were supposedly pretty sturdy. Kinda wish I got those now, you can still find them if you look hard enough:

Priss Asagiri Hard Suit
Linna Yamazaki Hard Suit
Sylia Stingray Hard Suit
Nene Romanova Hard Suit

I think I'd rather have the extra parts over the screwy Moto Slave.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:14 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
We have here a man broken by a toy, and a toy about to be broken by a man. A truely woeful state of affairs if you ask me.

Though very poetic, I'm sure that Rob would argue the toy was already broken when he got it. Well, that and fundamentally flawed in its design.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2