• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mystery anime recommendations.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:51 pm Reply with quote
This is the new official Mystery recomendation thread. If you're having trouble (like I am at the moment) locating mystery anime try here. Also as is always the case with these, posting recomendations of your own is highly appreciated.

For Reference:
Quote:
mystery (crime or enigma to be solved)
The plot involves a crime or other event that remains puzzlingly unsettled until the very end. The goal of the characters is usually to solve the mystery.

I'll start it off with:

Monster-It revolves arround Dr. Kenzo Tenma a Japanese brain surgeon reguarded as one of the best in the bussiness, however, when he ignores hospital politics and saves the life of a boy shot in the head instead of the mayor his fast track life hits some snags. Later on his boss and some of his co-workers are found poisioned to death which has the effect of making Tenma Hospital Director. However, it also makes Tenma the prime suspect. Now on the run from the German BKA, his crazy ex girlfriend, and a hired killer, he becomes a fugitive in order to track the real killer, the man who's life he once saved as a child. Probabally my favorite mystery/drama anime as well as my long standing #1 favorite anime of all time.

Kaze no Yojimbo-Based on the popular movie by Akira Kurasawa this is an interesting modernization. George Kodama is is drifter who wanders into town looking for man named Genzo Araki, however, he's only met with hostility. He decides to stick arround and continue his investigation, however, he soon becomes involved in a war between two rival crime syndicates and discoveres that Kimujuku's citizens have many other secrets to hide.

Back to Recomendations Home

Last edited by Kruszer on Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:04 am; edited 2 times in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:42 pm Reply with quote
According to the Encyclopedia, Paranoia Agent is considered in the Mystery genre (among others).

The central mystery revolves around the identity of the Lil' Slugger, a person who has been terrorising the streets by attacking people at night. Armed with a distinctively bent baseball/softball bat, travelling on golden skates, and wearing a red baseball cap, is he a delinquent out to have fun, or a manifestation of a darker will?

(Sorry it is so lame, but yeah.)

Last edited by dtm42 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:50 pm Reply with quote
For episodic enjoyment, you can't beat the classics:

Case Closed (Detective Conan)

I'd stick to the first couple seasons as after that the cases tend to repeat themselves. Still, great whodunit fun, and some of the mysteries are actually rather challenging without being CSI-caliber ridiculous. I think every anime fan should see a couple episodes, actually. The movies are also enjoyable, and usually get a chance to play up the character development more, which has to be sacrificed for the mysteries in each episode, normally.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I gave up on that one after I learned it was about 500+ episodes long and spoiler[the main character still hadn't got his original adult body back.] I definitely would have watched the whole thing had it continued on TV but it got canceled and I really don't feel like shelling all that cash out for the DVDs, Funi's getting all of my money as is. Crying or Very sad
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:18 pm Reply with quote
And again, the new one: Mouryou no Hako. It doesn't make too much sense right now but it's really intriguing and coupled with the very high production values looks to be a top notch show this season. Totally fits the mystery bill as basically these people are trying to solve a case, one being a detective, and they're all starting to come together now. It still doesn't make too much sense though, but it should in due time.
guet

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:54 am Reply with quote
Noir- From the encyclopedia: Mireille Bouquet is a professional assassin, and a very good one at that. But when she follows up an e-mail from a young Japanese girl named Yumura Kirika, inviting her to take "a pilgrimage to the past", her life becomes even more dangerous than it already is. Now, with a haunting melody invoking the memory of an event long past, Mireille and Kirika decide to work together to find the truth about a thousand year old organization that has controlled both of their lives since before they were born. And the only clue in their search, the only thing Kirika remembers about herself, becomes their working codename: a name designating an ancient fate, of two maidens who reign over death--Noir.

My take on the series: Noir is at it's heart a mystery show. Two women must work together to discover the truth behind their related pasts. The series also is full of excellent (although mostly bloodless) action, great music, and is consistently entertaining. Noir is probably my favorite series of it's kind.

Ghost Hunt- This is another series that falls under many genres. More episodic in nature, the series is a collection of supernatural cases that are investigated by the Shibuya Psychic Research Center. An interesting cast of strange characters including a priest, medium, monk, shrine maiden, a pair of scientists, and a young high school girl work together to get to the bottom of these cases. While not a masterpiece series by any means, it is none the less an entertaining show that I don't mind recommending.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I gave up on that one after I learned it was about 500+ episodes long and spoiler[the main character still hadn't got his original adult body back.] I definitely would have watched the whole thing had it continued on TV but it got canceled and I really don't feel like shelling all that cash out for the DVDs, Funi's getting all of my money as is. Crying or Very sad

I know what you mean. But like JesuOtaku said, you don't have to watch the entire series, as it repeats itself after awhile. I'm probably gonna get some of the box sets, but not all of them,as yeah, it will get pretty expensive. It really is a good mystery series, albeit on the light side.
Elfen12

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:15 am Reply with quote
Spiral i find to be a mystery. This is one of my favorite series. Ahh, i could go on and on about it, but i'll keep it short. It is a mystery becuase well... the whole plot revolves around ( Question ... uhoh, should i put spoiler tags, no) the Bladechildren. Not much is really revealed in the beginning of the show so yeah, but it is indeed a mystery... a mystery show, that i strronnggllly reccomened for mystery-anime-seekers to watch, or at least give a chance. The characters are great, theres a comedy aspect, a couple of the characters are just geniuses.... it's defintley a rollercoaster ride with a couple of twists and turns, that's for sure. yup.

-Elfen12-
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:04 pm Reply with quote
The Skullman. A mystery with supernatural elements. Reporter Hayato returns to the town where he grew up to investigate a series of murders by a mysterious man who looks like a skeleton. There's also the issue of a young secretive cult established in the area that has a conspiracy of their own going on. Few people are what they seem, even if they don't know it.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:05 am Reply with quote
Reminder: if you're gonna' make a recommendation, please put some commentary or reasoning as to why you suggested the anime.
Da Games Elite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:55 pm Reply with quote
What about When They Cry? I think that would qualify as a mystery, considering that the majority of the time no one knows just what is going on! Anime smile

The plot sometimes gets a little repetitive in the first season, as the plot essentially shows one of the characters going on a murdering spree and killing their friends. But the plot is just so enthralling, not to mention tragic, you just get hooked. And in the second season, they explore the nature of the horrors that befall the characters. I just felt the entire story was interesting. Of course, I'm something of a horror hound, so many that might have helped. Anime smile
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Higurashi (s1, s2) is definitely a mystery. The repetitions (and the little differences between them) in fact are the mystery that the series is about. Its greatness lies in the many different ways the story plays out each time, yet they are all tied together and explained in the end. It leaves you guessing for a very long time as to what is going on, who is the culprit, and how they could ever escape their fate. All qualities of a great mystery story.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Despite the repetition factor the series always kept me on the edge of my seat with new unexpected twists and was never boring. Both seasons were great watches and I'm heavily anticipating Higurashi no Naku Koroni Rei which comes out next year.
Da Games Elite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Despite the repetition factor the series always kept me on the edge of my seat with new unexpected twists and was never boring. Both seasons were great watches and I'm heavily anticipating Higurashi no Naku Koroni Rei which comes out next year.

Next year? Sad I thought it was later this year...aw well...and here I wanted to see more Shion...
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:40 pm Reply with quote
ANN says Febuary 25 is when it starts. Also it's an OVA so there's going to be long delays between episodes I imagine as opposed to a weekly episode like the previous two series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3