• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
high school/teenage romance manga recommendations please ^^

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toccam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:47 am Reply with quote
Hey! I have only been reading manga recently and I need some opinions!! I have just read Absolute Boyfriend (Zettai Kareshi) by Yuu Watase and I loved it! I have also seen her other anime and read her other manga (Fushigi Yuugi and Alice 19th)...I am mainly interested in the teenage/high school romance, such as The Wallflower, His and Her Circumstances etc...Can anyone else suggest a large list of anime or manga that I can buy next? Especially the non-popular ones coz the popular ones I have most likely have heard of or read? Thanks!!
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:15 am Reply with quote
I seem to enjoy the same stuff as you.

Heres some I enjoyed. Some may not be in stores but you can easily find them online to read. If you cant, pm me and I can show you.

-Tenshi Ja Nai: A cute gender bender romance.

- Hana Yori Dango: Old but a must for shoujo romance fans. If you cant find it in stores you can definitely find it online. Thats how I read it. Its about a poor girl who attends a school for rich kids. She gets bullied but she's tough and doesnt back down. Its got some nice twists. Such as the guy who falls for her.

- Peach Girl: Classic love triangle shoujo. Only the girl isnt annoying and whiny. Most of the drama comes from her annoying "friend" who likes to cause her misery.

-MARS: This one is a favorite of mine. Its about a shy, meek girl and a tough guy. Its basically about their problems and them staying together and overcoming traumas. Lame description but really really worth reading.

- Kare First Love: Kinda similar to MARS only alot less dark.

I could probably come up with tons more. I practically live off this stuff.

Although Karin/ Chibi Vampire isnt shoujo- its feels like it and most shoujo fans I know love it. Its cute and funny.
stuckinfresno

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I love high school shoujo myself.

Here are some of the titles I have:

Gatcha Gacha - the best high school manga out there 8 vols with the last vol due out this year . . . not to be confused for Gacha Gacha
Hana Kimi - gender bender with some of the best supporting characters out there . . . I love the school doctor
Here is Greenwood - might be hard to find but an excellent series
Tenshi Na Jai - similar to Hana Kimi but much shorter
Kare Kano - another good series
After School Nightmare - somewhat a high school manga lots of mystery that is set at a high school . . . serious gender bender with a love triangle that can be described as male-male, male-female, or female-female . . . excellent series
Cynical Orange - not really a high school series since a lot of action isn't necessarily at school, but all of the high school romance elements
I.O.N. - a cute one-shot
Short-Tempered Menancholic - another one shot
Imadoki - Yuu Watase work I really liked this one a lot
Y Square - was a one-shot but has a sequel coming out this winter
I.N.V.U. - another not quite high school but a lovely work that is seriously overlooked
Pretty Face - okay this has to be the weirdest thing I ever read . . . fair warning it is rather perverted but somehow is an odd guilty pleasure I couldn't help but enjoy
Punch - again not technically high school but a real fun short work . . . 3 vols
Beauty Pop - this is a silly little series that yes focuses on cutting hair, but is set at a high school
Cy-Believers - newer series which is good not great but better than I expected

Okay I can't think anymore - hope this helps.
killua9101

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Quran High School Host Club is a really funny manga about the high school romance topic. I would also recomend the anime version.
Animegal999

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:48 pm Reply with quote
OMG!! What about Fruits Basket!?!?!? It's one of the most beloved love (w/ a little action) stories ever created!! That and Host Club of course... Wink
juno_senei

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:11 am Reply with quote
some of the newer ones that i am enjoying are:

Monkey High

High School Debut

both are cute, but not too cute. not too much of the angst or drama that makes you want to roll your eyes.

and here are my classic favorites:

Hana-Kimi

Lovely Complex

these ones have ended in Japan, and are great stories to read. highly recommended.
toccam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:58 pm Reply with quote
omg...thanks a lot guys!!! hana kimi I've already seen the korean version...they recommended high school debut and im reading that now!! I've seen and read kare kano, and oohhh imadoki...i didn't even know about that from yuu watase!!! ahhh the rest all sound soo great! this will last me a good year or so kekekeke
thanks heaps and if there are more suggestions feel free to keep posting!!! Wink
toccam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:59 pm Reply with quote
and yes fruits basket is reallyyyyyy good!!! ^^
thanksabunch

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:36 pm Reply with quote
anything by arina tanemura
by hino matsuri
and of course fruits basket
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Heres more:

Love Attack: I adore this series. Its funny and adorable and a nice light read. The humor is high in this one. Its made by the same person who wrote Power!/Girl got game. (another good one) I highly recommend this one.

Lovely Complex: I only saw the anime. The manga is probably better. Its about a short boy and a tall girl. Funny and cute. Also highly Recommended.
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I too have seen lovely complex and I have read Peach girl and I recommend them.

Other good high school romances I have read are:
Boku n Natta Watashi: A gender bender with a girl who has to take her brothers place at school since he ran away.

Bokura ga ita: I have read most of the manga and watched the series, its a love story between a popular guy a rough past and a girl who wants to help.

Love Monster: a girl who failed the entrance exam and gets an acceptance letter to a school she never applied to.
smoochy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Suki- A Clamp manga, so you know there's a large chance of it being good, and at three volumes it's not much of a time or money commitment.
Marmalade Boy- I'm not sure as far how easy it is to find but if you can get your hands on it, it's worth your time. And once again, at eight volumes, there isn't much lost if you don't like it.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:11 am Reply with quote
Nobody has mentioned Special A yet!? Finally something I have thought up of first!? You might try that one, it's more of a cute story, and it's shojo. Karin/Chibi Vampire is not shojo, it's run on the Kadokawa Comics lineup, so it actually qualifies as an seinen manga. I second Lovely Complex and Fruits Basket.
suchibu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:55 pm Reply with quote
well here is my suggestion list :

kagetora - "a girl and her ninja" a sweet romance not too long not too short. complete nice ending

fruits basket - " a girl and her cursed freinds of the zodiak" a touching romance that in the end even made this old man cry.

skip beat - very adorable girl gets dumped by the guy she worshiped. but the main charicter will make you root for her as she struggles to attain "love"

mahoraba - guy falls in love with girl with multiple personalities. complete series with nice ending.

open sesame - boy forgets girl from when they are young. his family moves and in his new school here she is again. but she's mad at him for some reason unknown. very good series with some good romance. still onging but a decent one.

peach girl - nice romance but it has its dark moments

Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu romantic comedy.. sweet romance but funny sometimes.

suzuka honest romance with a nice but heartrenching story. finished with a good ending.

I'S - nice romance. completed series.

kare first love a nice romance.

bitter virgin - a sad romance that will show that everyone diserves love. and sometimes its a bitter sad road. it has a good ending but keep tissues nearby as it will be a bumpy road.

pastel nice story. still ongoing.

Hana Kimi nice story girl likes boy, girl infultraits all boys school to get near said boy. hilarity and romance insures...

Hana Yori Dango nice story...

almost all of these have anime as well. (the few that dont deserve them)

some were adapted into live action series ( hana yori dango , hana kimi )
Tokomiko_Kano

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:53 am Reply with quote
Here's some Very Happy

Fruits Basket Is about a girl who was invited to stay with 'Princess Yuki' and his 'cousins' Very Happy

Fushigo Yuugi Eikoden A couple who . . . damn I forgot what it's about haha . . .

The 9-Lives Is about a cat-boy who was invited into his saviors home to pay off a debt. He was saved by the man, and now lives with him, debating on his feelings. Kinda like a yoai manga Very Happy

Mermaid MelodyPitchi Pitchi Pitch Is about a Mermaid Princess who set out on land to find her saviour of 7 years ago. She finds him,but she has little resemblance to her mermaid form, so he can't remember her. She also can't tell him about her true identity, or else she will, in mermaid folklore, turn to foam. ^-^
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3