• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - A Dark And Stormy Knight

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:38 am Reply with quote
I loved that analogy about Sugar Sugar Rune, Gurren Lagann with sparkles and magic. I might just read it Anime hyper
Ligene

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:44 am Reply with quote
You shouldn't say that, I'm just as sad to see Sugar Sugar Rune go. Sad

At least it went out with a bang, though.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:00 am Reply with quote
The side-story chapters in Claymore do kind of disrupt the flow of the main storyline. There are 2 more side-stories for the next volume too. But there's a reason for this, I understand.

Apparently, the magazine Claymore was running in in Japan got canceled. While waiting for the new monthly magazine that was going to replace it to launch, Yagi did some bonus side chapters that ran in the normal weekly jump magazine.

Unfortunately, the side-stories are fine for what they are: bonus chapters that expand on the Claymore universe a bit. But when they are stuck in the Volumes as replacements for regular chapters, they don't really stand up well. At least not if you are wanting a consistent direction for the storyline. And the fact that this Volume has 2 side-stories right after the regular chapters suddenly shift scenes just makes things worse.

But don't worry, some very cool chapters are coming up, and I think they make it clear that Yagi has been planning some of this for a while. And at least we can be glad that all 4 side-story one shots didn't end up in a single Volume.

On a side note, I found it somewhat difficult to tell characters apart when I was first reading Claymore, but I generally never have trouble with that anymore.

Last edited by Mad_Scientist on Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:00 am Reply with quote
The most tragic thing is that Moyoco Anno seems to have health issues preventing her from working on much... Thankfully SSR finished up before hand.

I really hope she continues Hataraki Man, which is also a great manga...
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The greatest fantasy comic of the last 5 years

Come on now, its an excellent manga, but don't you think this kind of statement is a tad bit...over-enthusiastic? Regardless, it is an under appreciated series that should be read by all.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:23 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
Quote:
The greatest fantasy comic of the last 5 years

Come on now, its an excellent manga, but don't you think this kind of statement is a tad bit...over-enthusiastic?

Maybe he meant among licensed ones only.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
recca25

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:45 am Reply with quote
Props to S. Skiff (and Carlo) for bringing attention to the greatness of Daigo of Company M; it really is an overlooked gem. I am not ready, as Skiff is, to consider Daigo 'the greatest manga I have ever read', but it easily enters my top 5 best manga I have ever read. I think it's as good as (or perhaps slightly worse than) Berserk; and I think it's better than Vagabond.

The highlight of Daigo, as Skiff said, is the action. For several of the Daigo volumes, I remember catching myself constantly shifting my legs (putting them in one position at one time and another position at another time) and realize that it was out of excitement and anticipation. I'm rarely this excited over a shounen manga.

Of course, Daigo has a few down times; several chapters in the latter volumes were too melodramatic for my taste.

Anyway, I hope Viz issues a BIG edition of Daigo in order to give people who have not read it a chance to buy the whole series at an economical price.

Last edited by recca25 on Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Dragynstorm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:16 am Reply with quote
I believe Solanin is definitely worth the praise it gets. It's a spectacular book.

I was excited to see the review for Daigo... I had been contemplating picking it up for a while, and after a conversation about it earlier this week and reading this, I'm gonna go order me some. =D
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:33 am Reply with quote
Ligene wrote:
You shouldn't say that, I'm just as sad to see Sugar Sugar Rune go. Sad

At least it went out with a bang, though.

... But if there's nobody there to hear it, did it make a sound? Laughing

Probably because of the name that many people avoided it. Americans just aren't into childish sounding things to take seriously (heck, you not only get 1 but 2 sugars back-to-back for added emphasis).
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:38 am Reply with quote
I have to openly disagree with the Claymore rating. In my own personal opinion, going on a side story filler in this case has only helped to spark more of an interest in how the series progresses for me. It's rare to see the main character disappear from the spotlight, hell spoiler[the main character is thought to be DEAD.] Yet the story is still continuing, because there are open ends to it. And that is what makes it interesting from another reader of the series.
Ligene

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:08 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
... But if there's nobody there to hear it, did it make a sound? Laughing

Probably because of the name that many people avoided it. Americans just aren't into childish sounding things to take seriously (heck, you not only get 1 but 2 sugars back-to-back for added emphasis).

True.

Hell, I avoided Princess Tutu for months because of its name. Which is a shame, since it's now a favorite of mine.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:31 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I have to openly disagree with the Claymore rating. In my own personal opinion, going on a side story filler in this case has only helped to spark more of an interest in how the series progresses for me. It's rare to see the main character disappear from the spotlight, hell spoiler[the main character is thought to be DEAD.] Yet the story is still continuing, because there are open ends to it. And that is what makes it interesting from another reader of the series.

*is somewhat confused*

spoiler[I'm not sure what you mean by your spoiler. Volume 11 ended with it seeming like Clare and most of the main cast were all dead, but by Volume 12 it was revealed there were alive. And at no point in Volume 13 (the one reviewed) did it seem like Clare was dead.]
maaya

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:26 am Reply with quote
Ok, the reason for the Claymore side stories has been explained already. It's true that the magazine got cancelled etc.

But I liked those stories quite a bit. And imho you can't call them fillers. The Teresa-one, yes, that was mostly a show-off or maybe you can call it fanservice - science Teresa is a fan favorite, so many readers might have been really happy to see her again. But Miria's side story showed a very important event in her life. I was actually surprised to see something like that in a "side story".

Quote:
Ever get the feeling that Norihiro Yagi planned as far as the Battle of the North and then wasn't sure where to go next?

Not really, maybe because I'm following the series each month, so I read the side stories seperately. But future chapters have clearly proven that the story is very carefully planned (way more than I had expected) and Yagi knew from the very beginning which direction his story would be going.

Personally, I also liked how the storylines are told simultaneously and Yagi never gets them messed up nor makes it too difficult to follow.

Quote:
Anyone else having trouble identifying each of the individual Claymores by sight?

Seriously, never. The male side characters all look the same, but I never had any problems with the Claymores. I'm actually always impressed how Yagi manages to make them all look differently, eventhough they are forced to look alike because of hair and eye color as well as the clothes. Some nice ones like Renee are still to come Wink

So anyway, please look forward to the next volumes ... actually 15. 14 was a bit weak imho, but at least it concentrates on only one storyline or rather linking previous ones together Wink

Apart from that some very interesting reviews, I'll definitely try Solanin. And doesn't Sugar Sugar Rune sell pretty well?

Last edited by maaya on Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:32 am Reply with quote
Gurren Lagann with sparkles and magic, huh? That's pretty high praise, indeed. I remember a review you did for one of the earlier volumes which was very positive, too. Maybe I'll buy this when my wallet isn't quite so strained as it is now.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:30 am Reply with quote
I didn't realize Sugar Sugar Rune was so short. It really is a fun story, I shall have to finish getting that one.

And Solanin sounds just wonderful, definitely going on my list since I also am in that generation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4