• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-Chan DVD 1

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panda Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:31 am Reply with quote
Nice review. I bought this back in September after seeing it last year. I still find it funny after multiple watches, but I think translation notes would be nice. When my friends watch it, it's tiring to have to tell them what something means.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:52 am Reply with quote
The series would have been better overall if he had stuck to its chops and remained a satire of the Magical Girlfriend genre to the end rather than retreating into the cliches it was mocking.
championferret

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:08 am Reply with quote
I absolutely LOVE this series, but yes...the final episode of season 1 was a major letdown. Serious territory in Dokuro-chan didn't work.
The OVAs were hilarious, though.
I'm rather glad it didn't have a dub, because it would likely turn into something horrendous like Excel Saga's dub.
It's too bad this will probably never be released in Australia.
kadian1364

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:32 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
I'm rather glad it didn't have a dub, because it would likely turn into something horrendous like Excel Saga's dub.

?!?

I hate to derail the topic this way, but this just jumped out at me. Please clarify something first: I hope that you meant to say that you live in Australia and your dubs are catastrophic, because otherwise, I see an absurd anime fan bias. By all accounts, Excel Saga's english dub was excellent. Even if you don't take my word for it, a cursory Google search for "Excel Saga Dub Review" brings up numerous and nearly unanimous glowing appraisals of Excel Saga's dub, some from this very site:

animenewsnetwork.com/dub-track/2002-09-21
animenewsnetwork.com/review/excel-saga/dvd-1

I'm not going to start a flame war, it's just a pet peeve of mine when people still imply that english language VAs are all vastly inferior to their Japanese counterparts. Mad

Anyway, good review. Dokuro is great stuff in small doses. It's funny when it tries to be, which is admittedly, a standard not every production has achieved.
Paludis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:00 am Reply with quote
kadian1364 wrote:
I'm not going to start a flame war, it's just a pet peeve of mine when people still imply that english language VAs are all vastly inferior to their Japanese counterparts. Mad

Settle down, everyone's entitled to their own opinion. In my opinion most dubs are awful, with the exception of Cowboy Bebop. But some people like them, so good for them. It's not like I'm forced to watch them.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:49 am Reply with quote
I like Excel Saga's dub plenty, but don't bring up online reviews as a credible source. Every one I've read (3 or 4) has cited Shioji as the worst character in the series, when clearly he is the best, or tied with Nabeshin at least.
Kamenriderfan555

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:51 am Reply with quote
I agree with Paludis and Championferret. The only recent dub I can think of that I've watched is Devil May Cry, and that's only because it had the game cast.

And more on-topic, I love that Media Blasters has been releasing shows sub-only, it keeps the cost down and doesn't make me pay for a language track I don't want.
maaya

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:58 am Reply with quote
I thought this series was disgusting, I felt sick after one episode Anime hyper Guess I'll never understand how extrem violence and people in pain or "being gruesomely killed" can be funny ... it's too bad, because I'm all for magical girl parody and the series has some nice and funny ideas, but suppose I'll have to stick to the softer versions, like Kannagi or so. Embarassed

The translation of the title is very well done Anime smallmouth
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:52 am Reply with quote
I am still amazed this ever got licenced. I remember watching a fansub of the first series and thinking "This will never, ever, ever get an English-language release."

Oh, and I did buy the DVD. If Media Blasters are prepared to pull in odd-ball releases like this one, I want to show my support by putting my money where my mouth is.
rekishi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:02 am Reply with quote
kadian1364 wrote:
I hope that you meant to say that you live in Australia and your dubs are catastrophic,

ouch dude... very ouch... as an Aussie, that comment cuts to the bone... we don't have a single company in our country that dubs anime... all we have is a single distributor who releases about 30% of what you guys get in the United States of Region 1... our anime 'industry' is a joke... believe me when i say it, a lot of down-under otaku would love to see a company surface that licenses and dubs anime using local talent... but more than likely... it'll never happen...

back on topic... (sort of... it is relevant... but it's more like a rant)

i liked dokuro chan (it's deliciously disgusting... like a triple chocolate sundae with skittles and anthrax Very Happy), but not enough to support sub only DVD's... not whilst there are still companies like Funimation, Bandai, Geneon (barely) and ADV (still hangin in there) who still have the integrity to do bi-lingual versions of all their DVD's... even if they don't make any money out of it...

they are the ones who truly deserve my hard earned cash every month (and i gladly pay it)... they have integrity to not let their standards slip just because it's too costly (doubly so with how the market is today)... Funimation are even taking steps to improve the dubbing process... SGT Frog dub-test episode on Youtube...

then you have these sub only charlatans trying to hustle their wares in a market they can't afford to be part of... they shouldn't even bother... it's disheartening when an industry vet like Geneon nearly goes under due to financial troubles... yet the cheaply made substitute stays afloat... if i wanted a subtitle only DVD version of "insert which ever anime series here"... i know a quaint little shop in down town Penang (that's in Malaysia Very Happy) that has all i need... for the bargain price of about 10 Ringgit (which is like 50c... but i don't want it... that's the point...)

SIDE NOTE: i can see the advert for Emma on the ANN website above where i'm typing now... /sigh... and i wanted to see that too... it ruined my day when they announced it sub only... i'd be a hypocrite if i downloaded it after it was licensed... even if it is licensed badly... so it's lost to me... shame really... still... there's plenty of other fish in the sea...

/flame suit on (or off, i don't really care... i said all i wanted to... i'd like to think others feel the same way, but i doubt they're as prolific... or as vocal)
championferret

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:24 am Reply with quote
kadian1364 wrote:
championferret wrote:

-praise for Excel Saga dub-

...wait.
There are people who can listen to a bunch of incomprehensible screaming that requires subtitles to understand (defeating the purpose of an 'english dub') without wanting to hurl something through the TV screen? There are people who dont have to mute the TV when starting Excel Saga dvds because ADV made Excel's english VA scream at you on the menu screen, and then unmute it once you've started the episode in japanese?

...um, impressive.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:39 am Reply with quote
Rolling Eyes

Umm ... I thought this was supposed to be a topic about the Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan review? Tell me, how does the dub of Excel Saga have anything to do with Dokuro-chan? Give it a rest, people. Seriously.

Anyway, I found this series to be fascinating. Why? Because I normally shy away from series featuring humor of this nature (read: ecchi), but somehow I found this little delight to be absolutely laugh-out-loud hilarious much of the time. I'm very glad that Media Blasters brought it to us, although I never thought this series had a snowball's chance in hell at being licensed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:31 am Reply with quote
I'm still surprised why this series hasn't been dubbed. I mean, this series has enough crude and violent humor that should appeal towards more casual anime fans. This could have been the type of title NYAV Post could so excel in if they give it the Ninja Nonsense treatment.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:46 am Reply with quote
Jedi General is right. The initial comment about Excel Saga may have been relevant (and personally, while I don't think that dub was bad, it did struggle to keep up with the original), but we're sliding dangerously close to a sub-dub diatribe here. Keep it on-topic, people.

On-topic, I, too, never expected this one to be licensed, but I'm quite happy that it was. I've always wanted a good copy of it. (I originally saw it at a 'con.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FlashFumo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:58 am Reply with quote
Ah, lovely. I may pick it up sometime. Maybe when I've completed my Higurashi collection.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3