• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy With Rob Bricken: Motoko Kusanagi

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:24 pm Reply with quote
So is Section 9 sourcing their cybernetic equipment from China now? It certainly looks like it here.
Lucca_Ashtear

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Just a quick glace of the provided photos was enough to steer me away. A picture is worth a thousand words, indeed.
Even if the articulation didn't come up short, I'd be hard pressed to spend anything more than $20. There's just something unsettling about those thighs and and backside. Yikes, I'll just stick with figmas, like that upcoming Summer Vacation Yotsuba. Maybe that's what you need, Rob, something with form and function that won't murder your wallet.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the heads up - I've been shopping around for a decent SAC!Motoko figure for a while, so now I know to avoid this one.

Seriously, what's the point of an articulated Motoko if you can't make her recline on top of your DVDs? Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jadress

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Hahah, I love this column. Man, what a disappointing figure. It would almost have been better for it to just be a statue- at least her ass would still be intact.. >.< I preordered a jointed figure of Gwendolyn from the game Odin Sphere for around $60, and I sure as hell hope it's better than this figure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:08 pm Reply with quote
i can't believe that thing costs 75 dollars, it looks like something you'd find at Toys R Us.
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quote
That expression on her face... She must've rewatched episode 12...
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I've never understood the appeal of the VMF line, it's just so expensive for what you get. I know they're basing it on an 8" doll, but expectations are different when it comes to articulated figures. Funny thing is, they're old action figures like the Votoms pilot line are only about $38-$48, better articulated, and loaded with extras, and only 2" shorter. Somebody pointed out to me a while ago that the promotional images on the Yamato website only shows her at odd angles that obscure her hip and shoulder joints. Notice that they don't even show a full back picture, just an odd angle to hide the ugly hip joints. The second figure, Ryomou Shimei has full panties to hide the hips. Looks like the third figure of the line,Reina, fixes some of the hip flaws and does have a full back picture.

Still, I'm sure Yamato thinks these are a steel compared to the VMF50 doll line which can have an MSRP ranging from $130 to $700+!

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KrisEllieOphi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Ug, her face was the first thing to turn me off. It's so expressionless, it's kind of creepy. And the joints and cracks around her butt..... That's inexcusable.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Aaaieee, that vacant stare reminds me of such infamous product luminaries as MOK-KOS and Sader, although it is not nearly as bad.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:17 pm Reply with quote
It should be a crime to make the Major's ass so unsexy.

In that third picture, I imagine her saying, "Oh, come on! This ref doesn't know what he's doing!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I like the photo where you broke her up into pieces. It made me laugh Anime hyper
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:03 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
i can't believe that thing costs 75 dollars, it looks like something you'd find at Toys R Us.

I am with you on that, the whole thing screams "Made in the cheapest part of China", I wouldn't be suprised if they discovered lead on the thing.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:02 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

As a person that works at Toys R Us, I can assure you that we have a good lot of figures that look significantly better than this one, and many for under $20. Laughing

As I'm not particularly a fan of GITS, I wouldn't have to worry too much about making this mistake anyway, but nonetheless I'm glad to be warned. Motoko's a sexy character, but those pictures of the figure without the jacket on... *shudder* That's about the biggest turn-off I've seen of what should have been a sexy figure.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:16 pm Reply with quote
No offense, I don't really see how you thought it looked nice at first glance. Taking a look at the very vacant face and overall structure, it looked like it was a cheap model. Doesn't the odd shape of the legs cause the signals in your head to go off?

It looks pretty blatant...
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:25 pm Reply with quote
That ass...do not want. Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2