• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony to Release Madhouse's Marvel Hero Anime Worldwide

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:25 am Reply with quote
Very cool, but not surprising. I did not think that Marvel would have allowed (via the licensing agreements) the shows of their characters to remain only in Japan. I'm looking forward to these being brought over to the U.S. in due course.
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:20 am Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
Very cool, but not surprising. I did not think that Marvel would have allowed (via the licensing agreements) the shows of their characters to remain only in Japan. I'm looking forward to these being brought over to the U.S. in due course.

I think it was more a question of which of the distributors would take on the international distro. Marvel's got its tendrils in several studios for its superhero movies, but if you were to draw a Venn diagram, you'd see Sony as the overlap between Marvel's studio partners and Madhouse's prestige products -- Sony often does the distro for their art house pictures, as well as being the studio partner for Spider-Man.
akatsukinotobi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:15 pm Reply with quote
This is cool and all, but 2010? I don't wanna have to wait that long Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
slickwataris

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:22 pm Reply with quote
akatsukinotobi wrote:
This is cool and all, but 2010? I don't wanna have to wait that long Razz

I believe the date was set to coincide with the release of the second Iron Man movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:13 pm Reply with quote
This is nice and all...but hopefully by then, Sony will actually properly release an anime and leave out the shenanigans (dubtitles, lack of translated credits, erratic release dates...). They too often look like they are taking the lazy, easy road when dealing with anime (don't know about the other genres they handle).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
edzieba

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
This is nice and all...but hopefully by then, Sony will actually properly release an anime and leave out the shenanigans (dubtitles, lack of translated credits, erratic release dates...). They too often look like they are taking the lazy, easy road when dealing with anime (don't know about the other genres they handle).
I haven't viewed any of Sony's DVD offerings, but their subbing of Xam'd via PSN was excellently done, notwithstanding some slightly odd typesetting due to the limitations fo having to keep within the 4:3 overscan limit.

Then again it had horrible time-limited DRM for anyone who purchased it, was almost extortionately expensive for what amounted to a one-time rental, and it was region-locked so heavily that I could not find a way to successfully purchase it from outside of the US. Though that's more a problem with the PSN than the subbing itself.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:26 am Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:

What could possibly be much different between the subtitle and dubtitle of an American-based anime? (Assuming Iron Man remains Tony Stark, of course.) Laughing
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:02 am Reply with quote
That's one thing I never really understood about the dubtitle complaint. Unless you're dealing with a dub that's been substantially edited from the original, shouldn't the script of the dub be able to function equally as subtitles for the Japanese audio? Sure, some sentences may have to have been rearranged or slightly re-worded to match lip flaps, but they're still expressing the exact same ideas and concepts (unless the dub actively made mistakes, which is another matter entirely).
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:03 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Sam Murai wrote:

What could possibly be much different between the subtitle and dubtitle of an American-based anime? (Assuming Iron Man remains Tony Stark, of course.) Laughing

I'm only referring to Sony's current stance. If there is going to be a Japanese-language track, regardless of being American-based, then I still would like to have properly done subtitles to go along with it. By the way the production sounds, it seems like it will be in Japanese first, though I wouldn't be surprised if Sony released a dub-only version here.

Top Gun wrote:
That's one thing I never really understood about the dubtitle complaint. Unless you're dealing with a dub that's been substantially edited from the original, shouldn't the script of the dub be able to function equally as subtitles for the Japanese audio? Sure, some sentences may have to have been rearranged or slightly re-worded to match lip flaps, but they're still expressing the exact same ideas and concepts (unless the dub actively made mistakes, which is another matter entirely).

Exact dubtitles (no difference from what is spoken in the dub) are irksome, even if the dub is close to the original script (a la Time Stranger, which more or less had this). It generates the feeling that you aren't really getting the whole jist of what's really being said and can be very annoying at times. Partial dubtitles don't bother me too much (a la Zeta Gundam), as usually, they are close to the original but take translation liberties with some lines. I still don't approve of it, but it's far better than the former.

In Sony's case, I brought it up as part of a larger complaint of them not translating things like other anime companies. The credits part is what aggravates me more than anything else, as I think it's disrespectful, and lazy, to not translate the names of the people who helped create what they are selling (and ultimately, making money on), and what I just watched.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:

Dubtitles: Not an issue for me because I prefer dubs. Still, why all the hate for dubtitles? Why must people want such literal translations instead of dubtitles? (At least you can read dubtitles in the time available.)

Untranslated credits: I saw this with Sony's release of Blood+, and I have to wonder why they did this. (Bandai's guilty of doing the same thing with Love Hina, Witch Hunter Robin, Please Teacher!, and Flag.) Is it THAT much trouble for them to translate the credits so the Japanese-illiterate can figure out what they say?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:40 pm Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
Sam Murai wrote:

Dubtitles: Not an issue for me because I prefer dubs. Still, why all the hate for dubtitles? Why must people want such literal translations instead of dubtitles? (At least you can read dubtitles in the time available.)

I like dubs too, mind you, and tend to primarily listen to them, but when I'm watching a show with a Japanese track, I want the translation of it to be as exact as possible--no ad-libbing, no "obvious" rewriting or phrasing (something one could tell couldn't have possibly been said in Japanese). If the subtitles are saying something that they actually aren't too often, or if they are completely taken from the dub, then what's the point of having a subtitle track, much less another language track, at all? There's more to listening to the Japanese track than merely wanting to hear what everyone first sounded like. I also want to know what they originally said. Most dub scripts aren't faithfully-close enough to justify their use as subtitle scripts.
mchazzle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:16 pm Reply with quote
YO
it had better be eric calderon working on this marvel anime!
he's the producer for afro samurai

if he's working on it he's gonna have the best dudes on it!

check out his 'the 5 killers' trailer. its freaking cool.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:28 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Sam Murai wrote:

They could easily use the Marvel Mangaverse version..... though there was a Tony Stark (had worn the Iron Man suit) and Toni Stark (Women wearing the suit in the now)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Mangaverse
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1