• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lawsuit Launched over Proposed Live-Action Voltron Film

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sykoeent

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I have a better idea...
how about, instead of making crappy remakes or stupifying people's childhood, how about making something original? Is it that hard? Or is Hollywood just dumb now? There are a lot of other properties to jump start into a movie, and there are a lot of creators that could put the past to shame. Stop destroying our childhood and make something new!
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:38 pm Reply with quote
lol i hope they never make it
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Ahhh. Another happy victim of Japan's crazy copyright and licensing laws.
The Unknown 24

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Hollywood's writers are running out of ideals, that's why we have all these movie remakes.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
kokuryu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Once again, the results of greed rears its ugly head to bite those that precipitate only in greed. Rather than giving away the farm, they should have just done limited rights to do translations.
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:13 pm Reply with quote
sykoeent wrote:
I have a better idea...
how about, instead of making crappy remakes or stupifying people's childhood, how about making something original? Is it that hard? Or is Hollywood just dumb now? There are a lot of other properties to jump start into a movie, and there are a lot of creators that could put the past to shame. Stop destroying our childhood and make something new!

What? something original? Hollywood doesn't know the mean of that word.

The only reason why I'd like to get a remake is to get some new toys, but that's about it.
DonQuigleone

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:14 pm Reply with quote
This is just like Macross, except Macross was actually good, I don't remember Voltron ever being better than mediocre.
KarmaRocketX

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quote
And thus Voltron has been spared from becoming a shitty live action movie.

However, Voltron, as simply being a mash-up of two different, unrelated anime, still doesn't have any integrity in the first place that it stood to loose from said shitty film being made.

Unlike, of course, Dragonball which is an all time classic and a rather legendary manga/anime.

Which, as most people know is set to be anally raped early next year by incompetent filmmakers, and ignorant, money-hungry, idiot Hollywood executives that don't care about mutilating an influential anime classic and utterly destroying it's legacy as long as they can try and bleed a few dollars from the anime turnip.

Which, hilariously, will only cover 40% of what it cost to make, anyway.

So yay.

Voltron, which was an American creation made possible by senslessly hacking up and merging two different shows, well over 10 years ago has been spared from being made into a horrible film. Woohoo?

Honestly? Big freakin' whoop.

Dragonball stands to lose a lot more than Voltron ever did.

Same as Speed Racer did, and same as other moderately popular titles will, along with any other property that the rabid Hollywood dogs are eying like cowering sheep for the kill.

What really gets me is that we're unable to put a stop to this. The way Hollywood keeps stating it's intention to keep going to the anime well to steal ideas and licenses from.

It's like watching random members of your family be slaughtered by wolves, every couple of months.

And then, they have the nerve to expect this very same kind of thing to become a huge success by insulting their expected fanbase and slapping them in the face.

And get all shocked when these films do horribly at the box office and lose their precious (and apparently disposable) millions.

They refuse to learn from their idiotic mistakes, and we're the ones who really suffer, watching our favorite things be disgraced and turned into worthless garbage in front of us. Over and over and over.

I don't know when the madness will end, but apparently when Dragonball becomes the biggest box office bomb in the last 10 years, they'll still be planning to "adapt" 30 other anime, and make 4 Dragonball sequels.

It's the epic injustice of it all that gets to me more than anything else.

Last edited by KarmaRocketX on Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:27 pm; edited 3 times in total
rocklobster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Wait, it was the Toei version that came first. If anything, Toei should be suing World EVents!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:21 pm Reply with quote
And now we see why any more Macross titles will never see the light of day in the US. Crying or Very sad
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:34 pm Reply with quote
rocklobster wrote:
Wait, it was the Toei version that came first. If anything, Toei should be suing World EVents!

Yeah, I don't get what's going on with that. If WEP contracted with Toei for the American release, and then a third party is trying contract rights, then how exactly Toei is having to get the bad end baffles me.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:53 pm Reply with quote
rocklobster wrote:
fighterholic wrote:

Yeah, I don't get what's going on with that. If WEP contracted with Toei for the American release, and then a third party is trying contract rights, then how exactly Toei is having to get the bad end baffles me.

WEP believes that, due to prior contract, it has the right to produce and/or sell the rights to produce a live-action Voltron. They believe that TOEI's actions have been incorrect and have cause WEP to lose revenue. Therefore they are suing to 1) get the rights cleared up so that they can continue with their plans 2) possibly get financial restitution for lost revenue.

Basically, the way WEP sees it is this, "TOEI sold us specific rights, and now they're interfering with our attempts to legitimately capitalize on those rights, so we're suing them."

The way TOEI sees it is "We sold WEP specific rights and those don't include the right to make a live-action movie. They should talk to us before proceeding."

-t
Keita-sama

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:55 pm Reply with quote
And now, hopefully, there will never be any reason to make a live-action Robotech movie any time in the near-future.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:05 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
WEP believes that, due to prior contract, it has the right to produce and/or sell the rights to produce a live-action Voltron. They believe that TOEI's actions have been incorrect and have cause WEP to lose revenue. Therefore they are suing to 1) get the rights cleared up so that they can continue with their plans 2) possibly get financial restitution for lost revenue.

Basically, the way WEP sees it is this, "TOEI sold us specific rights, and now they're interfering with our attempts to legitimately capitalize on those rights, so we're suing them."

The way TOEI sees it is "We sold WEP specific rights and those don't include the right to make a live-action movie. They should talk to us before proceeding."

-t

In other words, both parties are too big-headed to settle this out of court and actually clarify what each party's contracts say. How lovely.
Da Games Elite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Well, supposedly the script for Voltron is supposed to be excellent. I've read a script review on one site that said it would be phenomenal. Here's the link: http://www.latinoreview.com/script-reviews/?id=65

I mean, I'm a fan of live action adaption in general, so maybe I'm not the best to be saying this, but I'd actually like to see this. Hopefully, the law suits get sorted out and the movie continues to be made.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3