• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Recommendation for me - Any good Gothic Manga?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Ok, here's a little challenge for people, and this pretty much will only work for those who read raw manga, or scanlations, because I pretty much have read everything I'm intrested in in already licensed stuff here. I'm looking for some new manga to read while I wait for new chapters of my current manga to come out. I mainly like stuff with awesome-gorgeous art, or gothic art, or gothic tones in the story, and stuff that's really demented and morbid, or things based off mythology/legends. Shonen manga I can stand if they have any of these, or just a really cool story with awesome character development, like Naruto. Any of those, or one of those crazy norm-shoujo with highly addicting story lines.

Here's a list of some of my fave titles:
Non-gothic/mythical titles have a "*" on them and are the...exceptions.

X/1999
Love Monster
Alichino
Count Cain
Bloodhound
Angel Sanctuary
Skyhigh
Bleach
Mythical Detective Loki
Tactics
Zettai Kareshi*
Hot Gimmick*
Hana Kimi*
Ayashi no Ceres
Blame*
Samurai Deeper Kyo*
Luno
Lament of the Lamb
Paradistar
Ren-ai Shijo*
Haou Airen* *btw, I still CANNOT believe this was licensed*

Any suggestions?
Proman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:00 pm Reply with quote
How about stuff like Hellsing, Blood: Blade of the Immortal, Silent Mobius, Battle Angel Alita, Lone Wolf and Cub, Weiss Kreuz, Samurai Crusader, Fist of the Blue Sky?

Last edited by Proman on Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
How about stuff like Hellsing, Blood: Blade of the Immortal, Silent Mobius, Battle Angel Attila, Lone Wolf and Cub, Weiss Kreuz, Samurai Crusader, Fist of the Blue Sky?

Read all those except Samurai Crusader and Fist of Blue Sky. What about those are really good?
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...you've probably read as much or more as I have, littlegreenwolf...let's see what I can think of that's kinda gothic or dark.

I know you've read Petshop of Horrors...so I won't go there.

These are mediocre, but fit the description:
Under the Glass Moon (you've probably read it)
Les Bijoux - slightly weird and confusing, but it may be your cup of tea

Many of these aren't dark/gothic...but, they're pretty good:
This is hard because I'm sure you've read them

Confidential Confessions
Ghost in the Shell (not gothic, but still pretty good)
X-Day
Vampire Game
Rave (I really enjoyed Rave, though it's a fairly generic shounen title, I found it very entertaining. Looks like One Piece, only better.)
NOW
Juvenile Orion (kinda like X, only...not)
King of Hell
Demon Diary

Yeah, I can't think of anymore in this category or ones I'm sure you haven't read...

I dunno, go through My Manga list and see if anything looks interesting...*lol*
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... there is a vampire manwha called Rebirth that's pretty well worth checking out. Tokyopop's been publishing it for awhile.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:02 am Reply with quote
Oh yeah, I flipped through that....it looked fairly interesting.
The artwork is pretty nice, too.
sacchan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:14 am Reply with quote
What about these?

Skip Beat! (strongly recommended Very Happy A show biz success story with a really hyper atmosphere. The main character is into curses and stuff. My favorite series right now)
Basara (this is licensed, right?)
DEATH NOTE (it's running in the Japanese Shonen Jump. Art is by Obata Takeshi, who drew Hikaru no Go)
Yamato Nadesico Shichihenge (the main character loves bloody and gothic stuff)
Umi no Yami Tsuki no Kage (great horror)
Hana no Asuka Gumi (really old, and sometimes cheesy, but the story's really good. It's about middle school girls' gang world.)
Bara no Tameni (addicting...after the death of her grandmother, a dumpy girl who thought herself as an orphan goes to live with gorgeous step-brothers and sister)

Last edited by sacchan on Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:18 am Reply with quote
sacchan wrote:

Basara (this is licensed, right?)

Yes.

And littlegreenwolf, I'm sorry I didn't thoroughly read your post. I didn't read you wanted unlicensed series.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:43 am Reply with quote
Littlegreenwolf, perhaps you can check out some of the following:

God Child by Yuki Kaori
Doll by Mihara Mitsukazu
---- note: the character designs for all of Mihara's work is... kinda freaky and hard to get used to, but it's kind of interesting.---
Vampire Game by Judal.
---- not really gothic, but kinda in that art style. Creator does a lot of shounen ai stuff.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:39 am Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:

And littlegreenwolf, I'm sorry I didn't thoroughly read your post. I didn't read you wanted unlicensed series.

Lol, it's fine. I haven't really been looking into manwa, so I'm going to pick some up next time. I hear that Under the Glass moon is full of EGL and Malice Mizer inspiration.

SakechanBD wrote:

God Child by Yuki Kaori
Doll by Mihara Mitsukazu
---- note: the character designs for all of Mihara's work is... kinda freaky and hard to get used to, but it's kind of interesting.---

God Child is just another name for the 2nd half of the Count Cain series, but ACK, I cannot believe I forgot to put down anything by Mihara Mitsukazu and anything else from the Gothic and Lolita Bibles! I can't wait for Tokyopop to release it. I'm going to be buying the hardbacks. All manga from the EGL Bibles are amazing.

sacchan wrote:

Yamato Nadesico Shichihenge (the main character loves bloody and gothic stuff)
Umi no Yami Tsuki no Kage (great horror)

Heh, I was thinking about trying these the other day. Now I'm definatly going to.

Thanks guys!
Nuriko-chan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Try Vampire Princess Miyu if you haven't already. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
captain_bolo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Hey I now you might not want to listen to a n00b like me, but you said you haven't looked into manwa, so I thought I'd recommend Preist. It is licensed, but deffinetly gothic. Just trying to help!
Kal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Lol, you should definitely try Yamato Nadesico Shichihenge. It's great ^^ Sure, you have your gothic bishis, but the storyline is definitely unique and pretty humorous at times ^^ So yea, definitely give it a try, it won't hurt ^^

Hm.. maybe you'll like Cafe Kisshouji. It's not really gothic, but they do have one character who is into all the dark magic stuff. Again, this is pretty much a humorous storyline ^^;

Yami no Matsuei? I doubt you've never heard of it, and because of that, I'm not sure if you've given the manga a try and ended up hating it.. but I enjoyed it fairly well ^^ I'm not sure if you'll be able to get releases of YnM now though, since it's been recently licensed...

Er.. what else? ?_? Ushi has recently released Mind Assassin, which is pretty intriguing, even though they've only released chapter 1 so far, so that could be worth checking out.

Lol, and of course, basically anything by Kaori Yuki, which you probably already know Anime hyper

Gah, I dunno. I read too many different types of mangas and I can't remember all the titles ^^; So.. I'm sorry if I couldn't help much :\ Maybe you'd like most Project Omanga's releases, since they have some "morbid" manga.. but then again, I'm not exactly sure of how you would definie "morbid".. ^^; But PO does have a release titled "Madara", which has a dose of Japanese mythology theme to it, and others which you need a strong mind/stomach to stand the morbid pics of corpses and stuff, such as in MPD Psycho. So I dunno ^^ If I remember any other titles later on, I'll let ya know Anime smile
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Kal wrote:
Hm.. maybe you'll like Cafe Kisshouji. It's not really gothic, but they do have one character who is into all the dark magic stuff. Again, this is pretty much a humorous storyline ^^;

Lol, you habe no idea how humorus I find that you suggested this because I work on the scanlation of this. I LOVE Minagawa. Anime hyper People other then me read it! It'll be nice to see this one day out in America. but, well, I don't see it doing so good out here.
Kal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:07 pm Reply with quote
WAI~~!!! ::glomps you to death:: I <3 U!!! Anime hyper And lol, I luv Minagawa too Very Happy Fav. chapter so far has to be chapter 3 from volume 1 -- hint: Minagawa's "day off" Anime hyper And yea, I'd definitely love to see this out in America too, but like you said, it probably wouldn't get a whole lot of popularity, but it'll still sell pretty well and survive. Maybe Tokyopop will pick it up, since they are notorious for picking up titles that is different and doesn't have to be popular or anything ^^
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3