• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli to Start Two Features Over Next Three Years

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OnanRulz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Room established at studio for development of next film for "20XX" release

"20XX"? Ghibli working on a Mega Man adaptation, mayhaps?
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Sounds interesting! Always looking forward to a Ghibli movie in the works Smile
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:53 pm Reply with quote
now if only "Disney" (i assume.since it's always them) could release their works faster....
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru,

There are clauses in the contract Tokuma (Ghibli's production agent) has with Disney that prevent the newer releases from coming out faster in the US.

(Note that this doesn't affect Only Yesterday or Grave of the Fireflies. The latter film, as last heard, has its rights still held by a morbid American licensee. Only Yesterday isn't getting released on DVD because Disney doesn't think there's a market for this film in the US. Disney doesn't want to release a movie it can't sell at least 100,000 copies of, limited edition or not! That makes me wish I'd had a DVD recorder to get that film off TCM when it was airing on television.)

The Japanese want the films exclusive to Japan long enough to recoup their production costs and maximize their profit BEFORE an out-of-country home video release.

I don't think the Japanese are concerned about theatrical releases, but they definitely don't want reverse-importation on DVDs getting released simultaneously in the US and Japan. There's the matter of Japanese DVDs costing 1.5-2 times American price FOR THE SAME material. Hence, the six months or longer delay before US fans since their DVDs arrive.

There are also other things that happen that are out of Disney's control like the recent Sci-Fi Channel Undersea mini-series. That delayed the younger Miyazaki's anime feature based on the same material by at least 2-3 years. Again, it's a rights issue and those pop up once in a while.

Disney doesn't make money on the theatrical releases of the Ghibli movies in the US. They're only being done to qualify the films for Academy consideration in the Best Animated Feature category.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:15 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
The latter film, as last heard, has its rights still held by a morbid American licensee. Only Yesterday isn't getting released on DVD because Disney doesn't think there's a market for this film in the US. Disney doesn't want to release a movie it can't sell at least 100,000 copies of, limited edition or not! That makes me wish I'd had a DVD recorder to get that film off TCM when it was airing on television.

It's available on high street shelves where I live.
As someone who mainly associates Takahata with Pom Poko though, it's unlikely that I'll ever wish to benefit from this state of affairs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:18 pm Reply with quote
i cant wait to see what there going to be there movies are all ways good
Proman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:46 pm Reply with quote
A new Takahata film would be absolutely fantastic.
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:16 pm Reply with quote
His animated features have not generally been really big sellers even in Japan. But I eagerly look forward to another Isao Takahata film.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Hope Goro's next work is better then he's first work outing. It had good action sequences like in the beggining with the dragon but the story and it's characters felt flat, overall it was a decent movie but not something I would like to see again.
musashi1600

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Nothing from Hiroyuki Morita? He seemed to do a pretty good job with The Cat Returns.
abstract-alchemist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Gedo Senki was okay; the major problem is the poor guy has the WRONG LAST NAME! Everything with the name Miyazaki is expected to be spectacular, and Gedo Senki was mediocre at best; in fact, it was almost completely off base with respect to the original material ( from what I could gleen from the Earth Sea wikipedia entry). There was way to much action, and not enough focus on the whole intercultral differences which seemed to be one of core themes of the Earth sea Saga.

I hope Takahata gets to do more stuff; the guy is as good as Miyazaki in a low key sort of way, and it's a shame his stuff doesn't get the kind of exposure that Miyasaki's stuff does. On the other hand, I'm not sure he's as brash as Miyazaki is, so maybe he likes flying under the radar more; I'm sure all this exposure does more than it's fair share of soul sucking from Miyazaki, no matter how much he tries to resist it. And for that, I respect Miyazaki for not succumbing to that kind of bullshit.

While I'm not a Miyazaki super fan like other people, I"m sure things they put out will be good. It's not always at the top of my list, but I usually get around to watching their stuff at some point sooner than most, since it's usually worth the time.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I think it's sad Goro Miyzaki get's such a bad rap because he made one mediocre film. Filmmakers usually make mediocre work before making exceptional work.

Anyway I'm looking forward to seeing what Ghibli has up it's sleeve.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:43 am Reply with quote
And some people complain that Pixar produces a movie every 18 months. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1