• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nitroplus to Launch Visual-Novel-Based Phantom TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:55 am Reply with quote
Are we going to get more epic, gun-totting staring contests?! Surprised

Granted I remember Phantom of Inferno has a good number of female assassins in the original visual novel so the director has a good experience with them. I wonder if Yuki Kajiura is doing the music again?

On another note, man I noticed more of Nitroplus' properties are getting adapted into an anime. I have a feeling Fate/Zero anime might be coming in the distant future. And there's that other one (which I forgot the name of) I heard that most people wants to be animated which is a horror genre involving a rather violent, cute little girl.
Houlgrave

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:03 am Reply with quote
Oh fudge yeah, Phantom finally gets the full-length adaption it deserves!! Very Happy
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:07 am Reply with quote
We'll have to get more information soon, but hopefully this should be better than the OAVs...and, for that matter, Noir.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Sweet =O

I never did finish the game. Hirameki's DVDs pretty much suck, and kept glitching on me.
AlucardZero

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Nitroplus = A
But Bee Train = F-

Poor Phantom of Inferno Sad
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I was excited when I read the title, cause Nitro+ is a great studio for games. But when I saw Bee Train......my hopes were crushed. More panoramic views on eyes. The best studio tu fudge up great manga/games: Bee Train, the makers of the most boring series(Noir, .hack//ROOTS) and worse manga->anime tranistion (Tsubasa, so bad, that CLAMP denies it's existence)
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry you all find the .hack series so boring but frankly, it does one thing right so many other series fail to do...

Conclude.

In the sense that you know, it doesn't leave a crap ton of open ended mysteries. It's a good science fiction/cyberpunk-ish (You know, since there's a bigger focus on the network and how it's connected to everything over people being robots and junk.) series that while the animes were not fantastic or anything, at least the games made up for it.

Oh, that and it's also one of the few series who continues to make releases, without them being bad in quality, be quick on the releases, etc, etc.

I've typically been interested in anything Bee Train was responsible for. Their animation style is pretty good, IMHO, and while it has the occasional choppy episode of quality, it's not like they produce anything filler worthy.

You wanna talk about poor quality animation... Let's talk the first season of Higurashi. And THAT my friends, was pure laziness.
Taiyz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully the story can carry the series between staring contests and pans over landscapes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tsugumi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
And there's that other one (which I forgot the name of) I heard that most people wants to be animated which is a horror genre involving a rather violent, cute little girl.

Chaos;Head is the thing. (obviously, it already IS animated Rolling Eyes and, apparently, is another victim of a poor game-to-anime adaptation, much like Phantom Of Inferno)

Wondering what they're gonna go with for the anime, by the way - the PC (18+) or the DVD (17+) version of the game Confused

*curls up in her "den" to sleep until the release"
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Tsugumi wrote:
Chaos;Head is the thing. (obviously, it already IS animated Rolling Eyes and, apparently, is another victim of a poor game-to-anime adaptation, much like Phantom Of Inferno)

Agreed regarding Chaos;HEAd. The anime showed a decent amount of promise at first, but the writing and direction have dragged the series down the point of being pretentious and annoying. While I am going to finish watching the series, I'm getting sick of the nonstop technobabble that has permeated throughout the more recent episodes. Rolling Eyes

Regarding this new Phantom series, just the mention of Bee Train is enough to keep me far, far away. Not even one of my favorite screenwriters (Yosuke Kuroda) being involved is enough, sadly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm excited! After the big let down of Blade of the Immortal I've been hoping they would do something new. I hope this will be good. I wish Kuroda was actually writing the series though, he's one of the stronger writers I know of. I would love it if Mashimo brought in Kajiura as he so often does (Otani's music for Blade was terrible, and I think I've had a fill of Ali Project for a while)
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Tsugumi wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
And there's that other one (which I forgot the name of) I heard that most people wants to be animated which is a horror genre involving a rather violent, cute little girl.

Oh, I was thinking along the lines of Saya no Uta.
Grico

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:08 am Reply with quote
Huh, the game was very good and the ovas were decent for what they were (not enough time to actually tell the game full storyline). So I am interested in the series. Is Phantom still popular in Japan? I guess it has to be, but has been quite a long time since the original game came out. Have they done more with the license that has not come out over here?
rg4619

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Is Phantom still popular in Japan? I guess it has to be, but has been quite a long time since the original game came out. Have they done more with the license that has not come out over here?

Well, Phantom wasn't that big to begin with, so I don't think they have much momentum to bank on. In this case, I can see Bee Train relying more on Mashimo's signature girls-with-guns appeal (indeed, he's hired some key staffers from Madlax and El Cazador), as opposed to the strength of the license.

On the plus side, there's great source material here, and an old, somewhat popular IP is still easier to market than something original.

Quote:
On another note, man I noticed more of Nitroplus' properties are getting adapted into an anime.

Unfortunately, that isn't necessarily a positive sign. Despite consistent acclaim, Nitro+ games haven't sold well lately (the loss of momentum is significant since vintage Nitro+ deviates from what's big with otaku), which could be why they've aggressively pursued anime (Blassreiter, Phantom), joint projects (Fate/Zero light novels, Chaos;Head), and moe-style concepts (Sumaga). As a company, I think they're feeling the pressure of trying to remain relevant within the otaku market.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:09 am Reply with quote
With Hirameki USA's release crash and burn, doubt it'd get much interest in that side of the pond.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2