• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Need opinions on Gasaraki.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimmy Crackers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I have been contempulating this series for a while now, mostly because I can find the entire set for as low as $30.

But is it worth it? I gathered some information over the 'net, and this is what I got for key facts:

-The overall plot is extremely slow moving, but does get better later on

-Rather than lots of action, the story mainly focuses on politics and Japanese mythology

-This series has a rather realistic depiction of mecha, much so that the mecha could probably be built in real life somewhere in the near future

From what I gather, this series is pretty much a hit or miss. Some people like Gasaraki for it's intriguing storyline, and some people hate it because it's slow and boring. Now, I've seen my fair share of anime that's mainly "all talk and no show", so to speak, so this sort of thing doesn't really bother me. But what about you guys? Overall, is this series worthy of puchasing?

I suppose for just $30, it shouldn't make a big difference, but still, $30 could buy me other stuff, too. I appreciate any advice you can give me. Thanks for your time.
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Gasaraki was supposed to be the "alternative" EVA, but targeted at more mature audiences. It is believable (if you're talking about the technology of the mecha), up until the part where spoiler[they discover the ancient japanese warrior mecha and it comes to life and takes out 2 of the modern JSDF mecha]

I wouldn't say it's not a good show. But it's pretty old already and there are better ones around. If you're into hardcore mecha stuff, Gasaraki doesn't even come close to the best of them. Besides that, the production quality and artwork clearly deteriorates in the later episodes.

Bubblegum Crisis: 2040 is a better bet, though the ending is a little shoddy. It could do with 2 more episodes to stretch things out a little.
rektagunn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Here you go Mr. Jimmy Crackers, sir: http://animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5012&highlight=gasaraki

I hope this helps, as I've only seen a few episodes (which probably does not warrant my review for now).
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:22 am Reply with quote
To be honest, Great art, "realistic" looking bi-pedal mechas, tom clancyesque plotline with a bit of anti-american sentiment, a little use of psionic powers here and thereand an annoying intro theme.

but as for pacing and action, it's slow as molasses. Mad
Nani?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:34 am Reply with quote
Unlike Soultaker, I happen to love both the opening theme especially the closing theme.
Yes, Gasaraki is slow moving but the pace picks up after the third disk with an important revalation about the main character. It is very "Clancyesqe" and a bit anti American. The Mecha is outstanding.
As for the supernatural element. It blends well with the technical aspects. It is well thought out, but deeply Shinto in a way that a lot of Americans seem to have problems relateing to. If you have had problems with such storylines in the past, I suggest you avoid it.
However, if that is not the case and you can wait for a story to develop, I suggest that you find a good deal and get it.

All the Best,

Nani?
phoelixian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:52 am Reply with quote
Jimmy Crackers wrote:
I gathered some information over the 'net, and this is what I got for key facts:

-The overall plot is extremely slow moving, but does get better later on

-Rather than lots of action, the story mainly focuses on politics and Japanese mythology

-This series has a rather realistic depiction of mecha, much so that the mecha could probably be built in real life somewhere in the near future

From what I gather, this series is pretty much a hit or miss. Some people like Gasaraki for it's intriguing storyline, and some people hate it because it's slow and boring. Now, I've seen my fair share of anime that's mainly "all talk and no show", so to speak, so this sort of thing doesn't really bother me. But what about you guys? Overall, is this series worthy of puchasing?

Is it worth purchasing? Yes. Is it worth YOU purchasing it? Dunno.

I'd say that in your post you've hit all the key points of review for Gasaraki. Maybe the best thing to do is to rent volume 1 and see if you like the political story telling with sparse action sequences. It is very Clancy-esque.

I bought the Boxed Set for Gasaraki and I have no regrets. I personally think it is an underrated series, perhaps simply lost among its other genre contemporaries.

That is a really good price for the set--makes me wonder if it's a bootleg, but maybe not. The price of the Boxed Set has been coming down over the past year.

If you do end up renting/purchasing it, I'd like to hear your thoughts afterwards on the series.
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:45 am Reply with quote
Jimmy Crackers wrote:
I can find the entire set for as low as $30...I suppose for just $30, it shouldn't make a big difference, but still, $30 could buy me other stuff, too.

Unless you can prove otherwise, I will assume that it's a bootleg and you shouldn't waste your money on it anyway. If the deal sounds too good to be true (like $30 for an entire series on 3 discs when it normally costs $30 per disc for 8 discs) it probably is.
eva05

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Gasaraki is cynical and brooding.

A style that applies to both the story telling and the camera work.

Stylistically, this is sort of Evangelions set brother. The pacing and camera work use similar techniques and pacing without being shot by shot rip-offs ala RahXephon (sp?)

There are some intense moments of action but the focus is on intrigue.

I didn't find the series anti-American so much as generally distrustful of all governments and members of the military industrial complex. The series is written and directed by the same talent who wrote Votoms and Dougram, both similarly themed anime which are rather dark, though Votoms has way more action than this.

It doesn't cut like a music video (aka every few seconds) but it's not supposed to be a high energy show like a music video. It's really quite well done. I've never seen the US versions, I have all the Japanese DVDs from when it was coming out overseas. I still remember watching it on tv and jonesing for next weeks episode haha Anime smile

j
rektagunn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:58 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
Jimmy Crackers wrote:
I can find the entire set for as low as $30...I suppose for just $30, it shouldn't make a big difference, but still, $30 could buy me other stuff, too.

Unless you can prove otherwise, I will assume that it's a bootleg and you shouldn't waste your money on it anyway. If the deal sounds too good to be true (like $30 for an entire series on 3 discs when it normally costs $30 per disc for 8 discs) it probably is.

The link I posted above showed a $29.99 discounted price for the legit box set at rightstuf.com. I don't think it's on sale at rightstuf right now, but they usually bring up that box set deal once every few months. So, it is possible to have a legit box set of Gasaraki for 30 bucks.
Jimmy Crackers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:22 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
Jimmy Crackers wrote:

Actually, as rektagunn already pointed out, you can, in fact, buy the legit 8 DVD version of Gasaraki for as low as $30--You just have to know where to look. Perhaps the popularity of this series play a key role in it's incredibly low price. It has been stated that this series was gravely overlooked, after all.

So far, my anime collection is mostly comedy, so I could use a little diversity. I think Gasaraki would make a great addition to my collection, especially for $30.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I liked what I saw of Gasaraki, but I didn't see much. I rented the first three or four volumes, but due to a finnicky DVD player and poor handling of the discs by previous renters, they skipped at a sickening rate, and the best I saw was a glorified clip show.

Been meaning to try and track it down again...by chance what's the URL to this retailer you're getting it from?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first two discs and thought the show terribly slow-- well made, relatively realistic, with a definite political twist to it.... but very slow. I also found the characters quite wooden.

I have been told that things change after the third disc, but IMO, that's already too far into a show to continue watching-- 10 or so episodes in, right??-- with the hope that I'll think it improves. That's over 3 hours of viewing time......

Still, many like the show. I would say it's an "acquired taste" for the discerning, who like contemplative action type shows. As a side note, I thought Crest of the Stars a much better show (although not perfect), which was also sci-fi-ish, actiony (in parts), somewhat political, and contemplative and slow moving at times.

My vote-- a rental, if you're interested.
mpchi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Gasaraki seems like a good show that lacks some conventional elements you find in your usual anime. It focuses less on characters, but more on political events. Even though we see a lot of Yushiro & Miharu(main characters), we don't know a lot about them even towards the end(I still have 4 more episodes to go). Rarely do characters exchange deep personal conversations with each other. In fact, Yushiro and Miharu rarely talk. But the mix of ancient Japanese mythology & modern day hi-tech politics is definitely unique to see. The flow of the show is definitely slow too, but is still pretty good. Again, it seems to focus more on the events rather than the characters in a personal level. You see a lot of characters like the ones in the Gowa family, the TA team that Yushiro is in, the political big wigs....etc., but I can't even remember any of their names after 20+ episodes. Animation is good. Kind of like B+ quality, with some really well animated mecha scenes.

Overall, not worthy if it cost you $80-100, but definitely a steal if you can get it $50 or below, as it is a high quality show that feels very different, and focus on the polictics more than anything else.
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Coming from the (then) high that was EVA, Gasaraki got the short end of the stick. In and of itself, it's a great show. The pace certainly picks up later on but it's not an all-out mecha fest. They're just there for "back-up" if you know what I mean. The focus is on the plot, the intrigue. It's not everyone's taste.

The first few episodes were well done, but they producers clearly ran out of budget later on the the production quality visibly dropped. Watch it again and you'll notice it quite evidently. But it's a problem with most anime anyway. Squander the budget on the OP, CL and the first few episodes and give the audience a nice good feeling, then try to cling on to them with the plot and hope they'll forgive the poor artwork.

If you're just renting the first few episodes just to get a feel of it, you'll miss out on quite a lot that actually happens later on.
Jimmy Crackers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:09 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
I liked what I saw of Gasaraki, but I didn't see much. I rented the first three or four volumes, but due to a finnicky DVD player and poor handling of the discs by previous renters, they skipped at a sickening rate, and the best I saw was a glorified clip show.

Been meaning to try and track it down again...by chance what's the URL to this retailer you're getting it from?

I plan on getting the set at Amazon--more specifically, in the "new and used" section. Here is the link to the new and used section for the Gasaraki set:

Amazon Link

So far, so good--None of the retailers claim to be selling the "import". I've dealt with third-party sellers on Amazon before, so I really don't think these guys would go so far as to lie to us. I mean, Rightstuf sold the box set for $30 at one time or another, so it's possible that you can really get this set for this cheap and not worrying about it being a bootleg. But still, just a little tip, if you do plan on buying it here, I would suggest buying from a seller that:

1) Has a good rating, at least 4 stars
2) Has a ton of feedback, at least 1,000, and
3) Says they are selling the legit version

Of course, if you use ebay alot, then there is no doubt that you probably dealt with these kind of people before. If you are skeptical, or just feel uncomfortable about buying from these third-party sellers, you can always buy directly from Amazon itself (or any other online retailer of your choice, for that matter), but be prepared to pay up in the range of $100 (even up to $160 at some places, OUCH!), for the set. I hope I have helped, and well, the choice is entirely up to you, so good luck on your decision. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1