• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kannagi Creator Takenashi Reportedly Cannot Move, Write

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:35 am Reply with quote
Gosh, that's terrible news. She cannot even move? Shocked How frightening! I hope she recovers from this ailment, and quickly at that.

Quote:
The editors also insisted that the fan controversy over a plot revelation in the latest Kannagi installment had nothing to with Takenashi's condition.

I know Takenashi's situation is no laughing matter, but even so, the above statement gave me a good laugh. Thanks for including that tidbit of information, ANN.

Japanese otaku ... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:45 am Reply with quote
that sounds pretty serious. Explains why they annonced this so suddenly ... she must have had some kind of shock or something. Hopefully she'll recover Shocked
mufurc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:53 am Reply with quote
Psst - Minekura Kazuya is a woman.

That aside, augh, so it is something serious after all. I hope Takenashi recovers...
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:55 am Reply with quote
i may sound like an asshole, but does anyone else think she might be exaggerating this a bit to get attention? i can understand a little mental strain after this whole ordeal, but to suddenly fall this ill? either she's really fragile, or she's guilt-tripping otaku for their recent behavior. can't say i blame her, but still this seems awful convenient.
Starks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:08 am Reply with quote
word on the street is that the mangaka kicked the bucket a few hours ago.

{MODERATION EDIT: You are the very epitome of delicacy, aren't you? -- abunai}
Dop.L

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:09 am Reply with quote
Suddenly being that ill can happen. I had something once where I went from being OK to completely losing the use of my legs in just a few days (I did recover by the way) - and I had it relatively mildly!
BleuVII

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:12 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
i may sound like an not-so-nice-person, but does anyone else think she might be exaggerating this a bit to get attention? i can understand a little mental strain after this whole ordeal, but to suddenly fall this ill? either she's really fragile, or she's guilt-tripping otaku for their recent behavior. can't say i blame her, but still this seems awful convenient.

No, because we read the article.

starks wrote:
word on the street is that the mangaka kicked the bucket a few hours ago.

That may just be a rumor. Let's hope it is.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:23 am Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:

oh you mean the article where one of her friends said on their blog that she can't move, since people started trashing her manga? is there some important detailed analysis that i'm missing? what is your point exactly? since i didn't "read the article", why don't you point out something that can't be taken as heresay? who knows? she very well could be sick, but i don't see any facts supporting it.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:53 am Reply with quote
According to this update from her publisher (so I'm told since I can't read Japanese, though google translator seems to agree) she had a successful surgery today and is now recovering.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:18 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
i may sound like an not-so-nice-person, but does anyone else think she might be exaggerating this a bit to get attention? i can understand a little mental strain after this whole ordeal, but to suddenly fall this ill? either she's really fragile, or she's guilt-tripping otaku for their recent behavior. can't say i blame her, but still this seems awful convenient.

They did make a point of addressing the issue, though of course there may be some truth to an indirect influence, a bit of stress at just the right moment initiating a problem that was already developing anyway. I sort of doubt a direct connection. Anyone strong enough to get to her level of success is not likely to be knocked down by some criticism that was pretty localized and blew over quickly anyway. Sounds like one of those amazing coincidences to me.
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:20 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
According to this update from her publisher (so I'm told since I can't read Japanese, though google translator seems to agree) she had a successful surgery today and is now recovering.

Emerje

That's corrent. While she is still in hospital, she has shown that she wants to continue with Kannagi afterwards
se37

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:36 am Reply with quote
Well, from what I've been hearing I really hope she's ok. From the latest report about hospital and she sounds like she's doing well. That's very good to hear. Kannagi manga is one of my new favorite manga's and hearing her being this sick. My heart goes out to her to a full recoverly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:42 am Reply with quote
Although according to the article that she said she had surgery, not being able to move is really serious. Though this whole sitution has really changed for the worse though.

Hopefully she recovers, because if she can't, there is going to be serious problems ahead. I just wish these fans would realize Kannagi is just anime and manga, nothing to get this crazy about.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:22 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
Emerje wrote:

Emerje

That's corrent. While she is still in hospital, she has shown that she wants to continue with Kannagi afterwards

Yes, and the publishers explicitly deny that the illness was related to the controversy, and ask the readers to wait patiently for Takenashi-sensei's return.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BleuVII

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:39 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
BleuVII wrote:

oh you mean the article where one of her friends said on their blog that she can't move, since people started trashing her manga? is there some important detailed analysis that i'm missing? what is your point exactly? since i didn't "read the article", why don't you point out something that can't be taken as heresay? who knows? she very well could be sick, but i don't see any facts supporting it.

I mean the article that said this:
Quote:
The editors also insisted that the fan controversy over a plot revelation in the latest Kannagi installment had nothing to with Takenashi's condition.

It could be a bluff, but it seems stupid of the editors to plant that idea in 100% of people's heads to cover up dissent by a much smaller percentage of fans. The best way to cover up something like that is to not bring it to people's attention. You asked, and I quote, "but does anyone else think she might be exaggerating this a bit to get attention?" My answer was, no, I don't think that, because I read the article, and the editors address the situation too directly for it to be a plausible lie.

Edit: changed "3%" to "a small percentage", since I thought that someone might actually try to take my exaggeratedly small number literally.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2