• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Mini Releases

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean when you buy an issue of Newtype, you're paying $8 for the DVD and $2 for the magazine?

Laughing
OwlBoy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Very Happy.

You know, This is an interesting idea.

Though 4.99 might be a better price Wink though I can see why its higher.

-Owl
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 3:34 am Reply with quote
I know they are trying to price point it to about how much it is per episode, but they really should drop it to a lower cost to garner the interests of fans. At $5, a pop, I suspect they would be likely to sell more of the preview DVD's and get more advertising for each series that way. Just my 0.02 worth though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:55 am Reply with quote
Isnt Central Park Media planning on doing the same kind of thing or already is? I seem to remember a add for something like this in the back of a right stuf catalog. I dont have it on me to check so hopefully someone else can confirm I think it was 2 eps a disk for their version thu.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I think this is a really good idea. It effectively answers the pro-fansub argument of "well, I'd really like to preview a series before I drop $XX.XX" on it, all while being affordable. Of course, I don't know how many people would drop $7+ on one episode rather than just renting the DVD... Not to mention, some first episodes of a series really suck.

Still, I agree with the other posters so far. This new plan is really good, but I think they could sell much more if they either dropped the prices, or sold "Preview Discs" that had the first episodes of, say, 5 different series, all for $25.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:41 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Still, I agree with the other posters so far. This new plan is really good, but I think they could sell much more if they either dropped the prices, or sold "Preview Discs" that had the first episodes of, say, 5 different series, all for $25.

The trouble with that is that oftentimes they're prohibited from doing that sort of thing.

Putting two full episodes of two different titles requires permission from both sets of Japanese companies.. Still, FUNimation did it with DBGT/Fruits Basket, so it's not impossible.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Moonstruck

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:07 pm Reply with quote
This idea sounds good. There are two ADV animes I would like to see (Wedding Peach and Pretear). But what do you do with the preview DVD if you find you don't like the series? I much rather rent the DVD.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Moonstruck wrote:
This idea sounds good. There are two ADV animes I would like to see (Wedding Peach and Pretear). But what do you do with the preview DVD if you find you don't like the series? I much rather rent the DVD.

Personally I agree completely. It costs $2~$3 to rent a DVD, and you get the full first DVD as opposed to just 1 episode.

But some people it seems don't have access to places that they can rent anime...
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm inclined to agree with Moonstruck. If you buy a DVD and decide that you don't like it, you could always just trade it back to the store or hock it off on eBay. If you don't want your preview disc though, you're stuck with a piece of garbage that no one's ever going to take off your hands.

What would be interesting is if companies had some kind of "subscription" service to preview discs. Like, say, pay ... $40? $50? dollars a year to have companies send you X amount of 1st-episode preview discs every month... Though that would certainly have its host of problems, too...
Meier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:52 am Reply with quote
What they should do is include a coupon in the preview disc for a $5 refund if you send proof of buying the first disc afterwards. Also, that price is utterly outrageous considering when I was buying the P9 discs as they came out, I was getting them for just over 12 bucks a pop with ~5 episodes.

No one, and I mean no one, in their right mind is going to pay 8 bucks for 1 episode. FUNimation sold Fruits Basket preview DVDs for something like 2 or 3 bucks AND they had 2 episodes on them. This price point is just ludicrous and quite frankly, disappointing.
Cambria

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:46 pm Reply with quote
That's how the "anime test-drive" disks work, but I think you just get $10 off the box set.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Proman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:51 pm Reply with quote
While I like the idea, I think almost 8$ per episode is a very unreasonable price (not to mention it's a big waste of DVD space, unless of course, they plan to release it on mini DVDs which makes the price even more unreasonable). I think they should put first episodes of at least three different series to warrant the price (otherwise, it makes far more sense for someone to just go out and rent the DVD). The idea here (as far as I understand it anyway) is not to make a fortune by selling thousands of those "preview" DVDs but rather to make money by making more people interested in a particular anime series (and the best way to achieve that is too make those "preview" DVDs as cheap as possible).

Just my 2 ¢.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1