• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Chrismukkah Givin'

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
You have a heart of gold, but your day job is being the slightly deranged homeless guy I used to see lurking around South Station.

Didn't know you were from Boston, Bamboo. Was it just for school?

Oh Pretty Sammy. Why would they do that.
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:59 am Reply with quote
Everywhere I turn it's like "WATCH Le Chevalier D'Eon!! OR DIE A PAINFUL LESS FUFILLED LIFE!!" (Or... not.) But I think this is the final nail in the coffin (why do I choose such wierd analogies when I'm jet-lagged, why?) for me to go out and watch the darn show, hopefully it will be all worth all the hype (dispite being underrated? O__o)

Anyway, with (needless parentheses aside) happy Chrismukkah and be nice to the poor hobo Smile

Side Note: Did anyone else get the impression from the Santa in the picture for the article like a, "Watch out in the middle of the night kiddies!" or a "He's knows when you are sleeping, he knows when you're awake, he's a creepy stalker santa that lives down the street" kind of vibe? o__o

That's going to give me nightmares.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Hey, you're not the real Santa, but you sure tried. You're a lot like the mall Santa Claus. You look the part, but sometimes you make kids cry, and your breath smells like Jack Daniels.

WIN.

This normal little joke made my day, what with not having a christmas this year and all, due to family member being in hospice.

Not to rain on parade's, just appreciating that humor.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:24 am Reply with quote
Great gifts for certain, unfortunately there is nobody close to me that would enjoy any of those series. If anything, I would ask for them for Christmas, but I'm going to Japan, so I need money for the trip more than I need anime right now. So unfortunate.
Polly E.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:45 am Reply with quote
Me and some friends got another friend the Sasami Magical Girl Club for his birthday back in August. We figured it'd be best to ruin his birthday rather than Christmas. I got him the Black Lagoon season 1 box for Christmas to make up for the awful, awful joke.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:56 am Reply with quote
Woohoo. Counting items-in-transit, a full sweep ... don't see that often.

On the other hand, while the series may be good, and you are somewhat limited by the edition currently promoted on the market, suggesting at least 2 Viridian sets? Come on now.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:56 am Reply with quote
I can't say I'd be willing to give Blood+ to anyone, other than perhaps someone I disliked to a significant extent. Saya's one of the more aggravatingly indecisive and regression-prone protagonists I've come across, and while the series starts out at a good clip, by the time you get to what will comprise the second boxset, you'll be glancing at your watch every two minutes, mentally willing the show to hurry up and do something. It's yet another case of a fine premise not being fulfilled in practice. Then again, your mileage may vary.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:51 am Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Quote:
You have a heart of gold, but your day job is being the slightly deranged homeless guy I used to see lurking around South Station.

Didn't know you were from Boston, Bamboo. Was it just for school?

Oh Pretty Sammy. Why would they do that.

The furthest I ever got to living in Boston was going to school in Providence for four years, but I did end up working in the city for a summer. Oh, the joy of two-hour subway commutes, blamed entirely on the ridiculous slowness of the Green Line.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:54 am Reply with quote
"a fake breast with tinsel on it"

now that should have come with a warning... you are in rare form, been drinkin' the real eggnogg yet? Wink
RedHotFunk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:01 am Reply with quote
What, no baki the grappler? Okay... So that came out a long time ago, but if someone's been naughty, it'll make the nicest replacement for coal, that whoever receives this "gift" will definitely learn their lesson.

Negima made me laugh:
Hey, you're not the real Santa, but you sure tried. You're a lot like the mall Santa Claus. You look the part, but sometimes you make kids cry, and your breath smells like Jack Daniels.

As well as Peach Girl:

Like, seriously, girls will totally dig you. You'll totally be a hot, buff, not-fat Santa. Like, the Colin Farrell of Santas, or maybe that dishy guy from that one episode of Gilmore Girls
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Not this year. For a lucky subset of us, we have people in our lives who would rather get anime for Christmas. It makes it much easier to shop for them

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Certain potential gifts' failing to meet criteria such as 'being in print' and 'bearing a price tag which can in some ways be justified' has me reaching for the humbugs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:25 am Reply with quote
If only Negima had very little fanservice or no fanservice at all, the series would actually be much better. I watched two volumes of the orginal Negima, but just couldn't get into the series. The English dub was fantastic, Greg Ayres really did a good job.

The fanservice is what made me stop watching the show and stopped buying the manga. Though the fanservice in the manga was ten times worse.

Well, happy holidays Bamboo. I've enjoyed reading Shelf Life all year long, I really do appreciate the hard work you do in this column. Thank you again, happy holidays.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Shinchan made the list, BOOSH! Surprised
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Love the Sant-o-meter ratings Anime hyper
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Shinchan made the list, BOOSH! Surprised
Is "BOOSH!" a cry of joy, or one of dread? Because it sounds similar to "Busch," as in "that's Busch league," But I think this Evil or Very Mad smiley would suit that meaning better. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3