• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Licenses Gokusen

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cassandra

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:40 pm Reply with quote
My husband will be a very happy boy when Giant Robo hits DVD.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:29 pm Reply with quote
If Manga couldn't afford Giant Robo and Gin Rei, then Media Blasters must've paid a hefty premium for it. I don't get where they get the money for it and shows like Berserk, when the only lucrative anime they got is Kenshin.
ChrisBeveridge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:12 pm Reply with quote
While people may hate it online, Knight Hunters sold huge numbers compared to other titles that came out at the same time that were expected to be more popular. I don't recall the title at the time but there was one other large release they had at the time and Knight Hunters was matching it or outselling it. And from what I remember, Knight Hunters wasn't exactly something they spent an inordinate amount of time on since they ended up getting the materials faster than anything else they were getting at the time so it got an accelerated schedule. Much like hentai lining the pockets of companies in the early days, Knight Hunters helped build up some good cash for them I'm betting.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Since Giant Robo is licensed again, is that mean it's going to be redubbed?
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:04 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Since Giant Robo is licensed again, is that mean it's going to be redubbed?

Hopefully not, as the old U.S. Renditions dub is as good as it gets.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:06 pm Reply with quote
BTW, how come no one around here's talking about Gokusen if it's the title of this thread?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
dmanjdb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
BTW, how come no one around here's talking about Gokusen if it's the title of this thread?

Okay True...
Gokusen look to be a good title...

BACK TO GIANT ROBO!!!
AT LAST IT BACK...

The Problem is that I just bought the Korean DVD. Hopefully they will bring the japanese/korean only bonuses with English subs and a redub too...

And better sound...

and picture.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:47 pm Reply with quote
May God help us all, Giant Robo on DVD! Yes!!!

I can stop scouring the used crap stores around town for the U.S. Renditions videos!

Though I had no idea it was so prohibitively expensive. This begs the question, how could US Renditions afford the series in the first place? Or were the Japanese producers simply jacking up the price once they caught wind of the frothing demand of a R1 release?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kamiboy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:44 am Reply with quote
Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! OH GOD YEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!

Ahhhhhhh……. anyone have a smoke?

But seriously, Giant Robo and the Gin Rei Specials licensed is a dream come true for many fans. Finally I can see this masterpiece of animation with descent subtitles. Woohoo, I can finally dump that HK bootleg copy I have. I say good riddance!
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:49 am Reply with quote
Wow, Manga really dropped the ball on this. Losing one of the best titles in their stable, man, that's gotta hurt. Shocked Personally, if I can get sub tape number three, I'll be happy. Let's see what Media Blasters does with it. Knowing my luck, they'll package the two together, and I'll have to rebuy it anyway. Rolling Eyes Now, what's Manga going to do about Gunbuster, thats what I want to know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Cassandra

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:55 am Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:

Because this is the title that came up when I clicked the "discuss" link on the news article. I never heard of Gokusen so I have nothing to say about it.

However, Gaint Bobo is a favorite among my husband's friends and they have literally been chomping on things waiting for it Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Toboe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:31 am Reply with quote
Kenshin, Berserk, Knight Hunters and 12 Kingdoms are all very hot sellers for Media Blasters, GATSU.

Do you actually know what you're talking about or is what you present as a "fact" simply your relatively uninformed fan "perspective"? I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you seem like you "know" a lot but every time you present something as a fact, it's wrong. Just curious.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:34 am Reply with quote
media blasters huh? haven't seen Gokusen yet, i heard it's just a female GTO

Last edited by v1cious on Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Professor Genius

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Giant Robo and Gin Rei...woohoo! I can't friggin' wait! As for Gokusen...alot of people felt GTO was an amusing one-trick pony, but I was always amsued by Onizuka's wacky antics...so I say to you Gokusen, BRING IT ON!
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Rennaisance Otaku: I don't think Manga had a choice in the matter. They're still tied down to Palm Pictures, because the sale never went through.

Toboe: If they were really that successful, then the company wouldn't be dumping a lot of their back catalogue low-budget crap onto dvd for most of the year. Those high license fees probably mean that it takes Media Blasters a while before they start to break even enough to start generating a profit, even if their shows do sell. (In fact, I wouldn't be surprised the reason they use mono so often is they don't have enough money left over for better audio equipment after their purchases.)
And considering the company still comes off as a poor man's CPM, I think I do know what I'm talking about. Now that doesn't mean I don't like them, but Media Blasters is usually the last company you think of when it comes to high-profile acquisitions. Anyway, I really don't care whether you think I'm right or wrong. I'm not here to impress you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2