• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Live-Action City Hunter Reportedly Heading to USA

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:22 am Reply with quote
Are they ever going to cast a Japanese guy to play a Japanese guy in an anime live action remake made for the U.S.?
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:03 am Reply with quote
Hopefully, it'll be better than FOX's remake of Once a Thief and My Sassy Girl. I'm also wondering if the Korean company genuinely has the rights to this stuff, or whether it'll be like the Jay Chou "homage" to Slam Dunk. Oh, and it won't work if it winds up using conversational innuendo, rather than the physical comedy associated with the series.
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:04 am Reply with quote
Color me uninterested
Animefan16

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:14 am Reply with quote
It'll be hard for them to top the spoiler[ Jackie Chan as Chun Li scene in the 1st live action.]
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Look at this way, no matter what, the movie will probably be better than the dreaded Dragon Ball movie. I haven't really read or seen City Hunter, but based off the description, I am sure this movie will turn out better than Dragon Ball.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Where's the outrage with this?! Doesn't anybody remember City Hunter anymore? What would it take, a white guy with blonde hair playing Ryo Saeba, to stage a boycott?! Where's the double standard, goddamnit?! Laughing

Romuska wrote:
Are they ever going to cast a Japanese guy to play a Japanese guy in an anime live action remake made for the U.S.?

Haven't you heard? All East Asians look the same. Besides, they have to pick someone who could speak English well enough. Oh, and doesn't look like an emo bishoujo. Laughing
The Unknown 24

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm a big City Hunter Fan. I kinda look forward to see how this is gonna turn out.

A few years back there was a HK action movie called Mr Mumble, which is based off City Hunter. It was a really cool movie worth watching.

It is always difficult for movie and tv crews to capture the feel of the anime in their live action stuff.

It would be cool if they could get actors who could portray the characters exactly or close too the way they are in the anime. But it would be even better to have writers and directors who would be 90 to 100% faithful to the original material(anime and manga) story line.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I've just started really getting into City Hunter, but I will say that if the show can keep the feel of the manga and anime, or if the show just adapts them, then I will definitely be watching it.

This is also the perfect chance for ADV to re-release the City Hunter animes, and maybe even license the one special that wasn't licensed, since there could be a potential for cross-pomotion with the live-action show... Even if it's just a simple "The Inspiration for the Live-Action Show!" that's put on the back of the anime covers. You never know if an anime fan would watch the new show, like it, and then become interested in the animes...

Not to mention that the last two seasons of City Hunter (3 and '91) have become arguably more expensive than the infamous Dunbine Volumes 11 & 12.
edzieba

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ryō Saeba, a private eye with unrivaled marksmanship and an over-the-top obsession for the opposite sex.
Makes him sound like a cross between Lupin III and Golgo 13.

Hopefully they don't make the same mistake as the producers of the Dragonball movie: trying to take themselves too seriously.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how to tell everyone this but this movie is going to suck just like the last one.

If anybody remembers correctly, a Live Action City Hunter movie was produced before, prior to Jackie Chan's Police Story movies and his City Hunter movie was so horrible that it's considered one of his worst movies ever produced.

Like I said, rebooting this series? Rebooting is just their way of saying the series sucked before and now we're gonna try and do it right this time around? Those who have seen the previous movie mostly likely have a sour taste in their mouth from watching it.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
This is also the perfect chance for ADV to re-release the City Hunter animes, and maybe even license the one special that wasn't licensed, since there could be a potential for cross-pomotion with the live-action show... Even if it's just a simple "The Inspiration for the Live-Action Show!" that's put on the back of the anime covers. You never know if an anime fan would watch the new show, like it, and then become interested in the animes...

I thought ADV's license on City Hunter had expired years ago.

It's a shame because there had been reports that ADV found a separate copy of the M+E tracks to the City Hunter TV series in France that would've given the series an English dub.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:04 am Reply with quote
I've seen at least three live-action City Hunters out of Hong Kong:
1) Saviour of the Soul (1991) - Very bizarre adaptation. Anita Mui plays both Nogami sisters and is very annoying.
2) City Hunter (1993) - Jackie Chan movie. Not much better
3) Mr. Mumble (1996) - The best adaptation of the three.

There are also HK movies called "Madam City Hunter", "Big City Hunter", "Saviour of the Soul 2" and "City Hunter (1999)", but I haven't seen them so I don't know if they have anything to do with the manga or not.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:57 am Reply with quote
Odd, I just finished the much sought-after City Hunter 3 and '91 boxed sets that I found completely being ignored in a comics store and took home sealed for 10 bucks a piece.

I love the show, and I think that a City Hunter live action film has the potential to be great. For those of you who know the character's background (MASSIVE SPOILERS NOT GOING TO BE PRINTED HERE), I don't think you'll have beef with a non-Japanese playing Saeba.

The Jackie Chan City Hunter is a City Hunter film only in name, and I don't think anybody should consider it more than that. Funny end scene though. I just hope the next swing at it is treated more like a proper film project than some Kpop star's promo vehicle.

(To the person that asked, yes, ADVs license ceased to exist in 2004)
xyz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm a big City Hunter and I'm looking forward to this. The actor is Korean but they chose a good candidate. He's tall. He's kind of buff and he's not bad looking. Now who's Kaori?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1