• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Claymore DVD 2

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian_FTP

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:57 am Reply with quote
Great review. Some of the music definitely didn't fit well at times. The guitars during spoiler[Priscilla's awakening] didn't capture the gravity of such a key moment in the series. The tribal drums later on in the scene were PERFECT though. Smile
daedelus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:08 am Reply with quote
Volume 2 was definitely action packed and had me on the edge of my seat on more than one occasion. That said, episode 8's climactic moment almost knocked me off my chair! The following scene has a distinct "what's going to happen next?" vibe that had me holding my breath until it passed. Very few shows have ever done that to me so, yeah. Great volume. Great show!
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
“Quick Sword” Ilena (yes, they use that instead of the “Irene” seen in some other translations)

It`s worth noting that Irene is really the correct spelling though. People can talk about Katakana being ambiguous etc all they want, but this one is really clear (and there`s no way Ilena would be written Irene in Katakana). Still not sure why they changed her name ... maybe because the english pronunciation of Irene is really different from ... all the others Anime hyper

But then again she is not all that important and the american version got most of the names right, apart from this and Rubel Wink Could have been a lot worse.

This is really the best DVD in the whole series (unfortunately), still thinking about buying it or not ...... Confused

And still nobody knows where those cover illustrations come from? They look so nice Shocked

btw,

Quote:
Its writing also conveniently leaves the Claymores ignorant on basic information about the Organization that one would expect to be part of standard warrior training

what do you mean by that?
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:58 am Reply with quote
Well that's interesting. Given how much Key has talked about this series, I had anticipated an "A". Still, "A-" isn't bad. Not bad at all. However, if these five episodes were the best in the series, then I hope that the drop-off isn't too severe.

The Christmas period plays hell with the wallet, but if I have some spare cash I'll splurge out on this series (when it finally arrives). I'll also make sure to watch it subbed.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:09 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Well that's interesting. Given how much Key has talked about this series, I had anticipated an "A". Still, "A-" isn't bad. Not bad at all. However, if these five episodes were the best in the series, then I hope that the drop-off isn't too severe.

It isn't; if I review further volumes in the series, they will probably get B+ ratings instead, which is what I'd give the series overall.

And the reason it doesn't get an A rating is because I didn't feel I could give it that without sounding like a total fanboy. (Which I am, but that's beside the point.) As much as I love this series, I must acknowledge that it has too many minor flaws to deserve a top rating, and it's simply not on the quality level of Moribito.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Roi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:40 am Reply with quote
Man this series is awesome. Even though i never really got into the Claymore manga im a huge fan of Beserk. So Claymore is right down my ally. I just have a question to anyone who watched it. In episode 8 spoiler[ When Teresa was about to kill Priscilla and then Priscilla pulled a 360 and chopped Teresa's hands off and then her head i was in awe. Which led to think was Priscilla more powerful than Teresa? Or was Teresa just caught of guard?]
Roi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:50 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

It isn't; if I review further volumes in the series, they will probably get B+ ratings instead, which is what I'd give the series overall.

And the reason it doesn't get an A rating is because I didn't feel I could give it that without sounding like a total fanboy. (Which I am, but that's beside the point.) As much as I love this series, I must acknowledge that it has too many minor flaws to deserve a top rating, and it's simply not on the quality level of Moribito.

I mean everyone likes to see and "A" next to their favorite anime. But i don't mind seeing B's because B's are not bad. If you are a fan of Claymore or any series I don't think it would deter you from watching it because of a review. Well thats just mho. Iv'e already bought vol.1,2,3,4 of Claymore so im in this till the end, no matter the outcome.
Vulcannis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Roi wrote:
I just have a question to anyone who watched it. In episode 8 spoiler[ When Teresa was about to kill Priscilla and then Priscilla pulled a 360 and chopped Teresa's hands off and then her head i was in awe. Which led to think was Priscilla more powerful than Teresa? Or was Teresa just caught of guard?]

spoiler[There's huge recurring debates about their relative power levels on AS's forum. But as you'll hear later in the series, at least one character simply thinks Theresa had gone soft, and that power had nothing to do with it.]
Quote:
Its writing also conveniently leaves the Claymores ignorant on basic information about the Organization that one would expect to be part of standard warrior training, seemingly as an excuse to reveal it to viewers at the same time – again, an inelegant approach.

While it may be clumsy, tropey, this is actually a theme in the manga. It has both reasons behind it that become much clearer later on and the story further explores some of the issues caused by this. Unfortunately none of that is shown in the anime as it mostly happens after the custom anime ending.

As to the ratings, I'm a huge Claymore fan and while I was more excited waiting for each new episode than any other series I've watched, I have to admit the show has some serious flaws. The review covered most of them pretty well.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm still waiting for a cheap boxset of this, I guess it'll be a few years.
Roi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:10 pm Reply with quote
my box set only cost me 26 dollars i used DVDpacific.com their shipping is a little high though
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Roi wrote:
my box set only cost me 26 dollars i used DVDpacific.com their shipping is a little high though

More like you overpayed to get a piece of cardboard. I meant full series in a cheap boxset.
Roi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:53 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Roi wrote:

More like you overpayed to get a piece of cardboard. I meant full series in a cheap boxset.

na overpaying would be $40+. anyways im not going to wait years until and expensive box set comes out. Plus the "piece of cardboard" can be used to put all the volumes in. So by the time i get all the volumes it will look like a box set, just less expensive.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Roi wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Roi wrote:

na overpaying would be $40+. anyways im not going to wait years until and expensive box set comes out. Plus the "piece of cardboard" can be used to put all the volumes in. So by the time i get all the volumes it will look like a box set, just less expensive.

How?! You're easily paying more than $15 (more like $22) per DVD, 6 DVDs, thus $90 (more like $132), plus the shipping on each one. An eventual thinpack set shouldn't cost me anymore than $60 MSRP, and from Rightstuf that means free shipping. Collecting new release singles always costs more than a boxset.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Roi wrote:
I just have a question to anyone who watched it. In episode 8 spoiler[ When Teresa was about to kill Priscilla and then Priscilla pulled a 360 and chopped Teresa's hands off and then her head i was in awe. Which led to think was Priscilla more powerful than Teresa? Or was Teresa just caught of guard?]

spoiler[I thought it was pretty clear that Teresa was completely off-guard. Also, the other claymores' comments lead us to believe that Teresa was easily dominating the fight with a minor fraction of her potential, while Priscilla was using everything she had.]
Roi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:16 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Roi wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Roi wrote:

How?! You're easily paying more than $15 (more like $22) per DVD, 6 DVDs, thus $90 (more like $132), plus the shipping on each one. An eventual thinpack set shouldn't cost me anymore than $60 MSRP, and from Rightstuf that means free shipping. Collecting new release singles always costs more than a boxset.

I don't pay shipping i can wait 5 days. Im just not going to wait years so i can save 30 dollars. So if its "like" $90 then im fine with that price. But if you do want to wait the years for a box set that is going to cost just about 60 or more then go ahead. Patience is a virtue. Or watch it online if u have no patience.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2