• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV announces Evangelion Platinum

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louie-kun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Looks like the rumors were true after all. Very Happy
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Assuming this is a 5/4/4/4/4/4/4 release (they said 7 volumes) that comes out to 30 episodes. I'd expect to see the full 26 regular episodes and the 4 directors cuts.

Personally I would have been happy with the 26 episodes on 6 DVDs with the last 4 replaced by the directors cuts.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm just glad I never bought the series before this happened. I'm very excited now, and am looking forward to this.

Do any of you know if they plan on making a box for the DVDs?

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Sub VHS (13 tapes)
Dub VHS (13 tapes)
DVDs (8 DVDs)
Paul Champagne Limited Edition Metal Box (still available @ rightstuf.com!)
Perfect Edition Box
Platinum Edition (7 DVDs)

And now the theorized ... Platinum Edition Box? (C'mon, you know it's gonna happen. Who wants to bet that they'll also throw in an 8th DVD filled with nothing but [more] extras?)

...One has to wonder just how much Evangelion ADV can put out before it stops selling...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:

...One has to wonder just how much Evangelion ADV can put out before it stops selling...

...no fewer than Gainax has been able to put out. And let's not even get into things like the many and numerous CD specials. (...although of course in their defense, *Gainax* merely uses every latest round of releases to finance another Director's Dream series that would otherwise never make it off the ground. Whereas ADV would finance...what? Well, let's just hope Ledford does *not* have any political ambitions...)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Should I buy this or wait a few years to make sure GAiNAX doesn't completely re-animate the entire series from scratch?
Luff-Chan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I'll stick with my original box of 8 DVDs Anime smile I mean, I don't really look at extras that often, and they will probably be said what they are on here, so I have no urge to go out and buy this.

The evangelion box was my first anime box set and I won't shun it away with "Platinum" plastered on the box/title.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Swordfish_II wrote:
Should I buy this or wait a few years to make sure GAiNAX doesn't completely re-animate the entire series from scratch?

I'd laugh at that, but if ADV finances it, they just might do it. Fortunately, Gainax continues to produce quality releases, which can't be said about ADV(my opinion of course Cool ). If you want my full opinion, see http://cgi.techtv.com/messageboards?action=whole_thread_view&board_id=81&topic_id=195&thread_id=3137328&per_page=50 , I'm Tifaonacloud.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:18 pm Reply with quote
It's a good thing I haven't bought it yet... Maybe this one is the one I'll finally purchase instead... Of course, it's just a matter of a couple of years before we see another edition released. Maybe we'll get the "ultimate" edition next? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
GoGoDelfin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:39 pm Reply with quote
OK, so fill me in. Have I just wasted my money by buying the Genesis Reborn and Resurrection DVDs if they will just be included with these 7 discs?

If so, damn.
Izlude

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Just dont buy it if you've already got Evangelion, all ya gotta do.

Although I know a insane Godzilla fan that buys EVERY dvd release of it he can find, its insane. He does the same w/ all the other big baddie monsters, and ADV happens to release a few of them like Gamera n' stuff.

Whacked man... buy it the first time around and leave it at that, its not like 5.0 or whatever audio or a few extras is gonna make it worth buying it all again.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:46 pm Reply with quote
GoGoDelfin wrote:
OK, so fill me in. Have I just wasted my money by buying the Genesis Reborn and Resurrection DVDs if they will just be included with these 7 discs?

Considering the last Director's Cut disc was released last month? Yeah, this might be a good time to give ADV some "feedback."
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Miagi wrote:
GoGoDelfin wrote:

Considering the last Director's Cut disc was released last month? Yeah, this might be a good time to give ADV some "feedback."

Their justifacation being of course, "just buy the first five discs then".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Isaaru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I am not so sure what people are getting so uptight about. ADV has my praise for this, because 1) My biggest complaint about the last NGE DVD releases was its lack of extras and neat stuff to throw with all that extra space. As for the Director's cut, at least they did release them, and with the original episodes I sold them to help pay for the new ones. 2) they charge a much smaller wholesale price than Geneon (brutal) and Bandai,to small businesses which helps the little guys (who care more about the genre than Target and WalMart). 3) I can tell they are well aware of all the pirated stuff and fansubs so they are throwing more than into thier DVD's recently (Najica: (BEST COMMENTARY EVER, Rahxaphon, Noir, etc.) And anime DVD's would probably be cheaper if they mass produced and sold on the level of the major hollywood blockbusters out there.

these guys may put out a lot of crap, (big mistake for thier manga buying decisions) but whatever..just don't buy it. As for the platinum edition, just sell the ones (you probably watched them enough to get your moneys worth anyway) you got right now to help pay for them....you got plenty of time! As for the remasters, I dont give a crap, like Robotech, I like the original "back in time' feel. So whatever on that.
Isaaru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:05 pm Reply with quote
i just wished they didn't call it the platinum edition..it sounds so stupid. Deluxe , would be better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3