• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation Adds Oh! Edo Rocket Alternate-History Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:03 am Reply with quote
Well, this leaves Eva Rebuild 1.0, Soul Eater, Gankutsuou, and something else. I heard Wakamoto was in this, might be worth checking out for that alone.
Sakaki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:07 am Reply with quote
Wow...THIS is a surprise....It's not Gintama like I was (and still am) hoping for, but it's a step in the right direction, and an annoucnement that I'm actually excited about. You guys up at Funi are in the right time period now though, so lets make that leap from Rockets to space ships and samurai Smile
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:09 am Reply with quote
Sakaki wrote:
Wow...THIS is a surprise....It's not Gintama like I was (and still am) hoping for, but it's a step in the right direction, and an annoucnement that I'm actually excited about. You guys up at Funi are in the right time period now though, so lets make that leap from Rockets to space ships and samurai Smile

How can this be a surprise when we've all known it since those clues were added? If you didn't know about the clues, then okay, but it seems like most people just ignored them on purpose, like they weren't going to license what was painfully obvious.

And I think a problem with Gintama is that it's so long and doesn't really have the ability to be on TV like the other shounen series, it's just not cut out for it. It'd just be kinda risky without exposure, since convincing people to buy an endless amount of DVDs isn't convincing without having seen a good portion of it. Whereas Soul Eater, another shounen, is actually a great license since it has a finite amount of episodes, at least for this run, and it's well animated.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:19 am; edited 3 times in total
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:09 am Reply with quote
the show was a lot better than i expected it to be, there's a lot more to the plot than the description lets on. i also liked the soundtrack.

Sakaki wrote:

Gintama's by Bandai, so that's not happening.

Last edited by v1cious on Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:21 am; edited 1 time in total
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:13 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Well, this leaves Eva Rebuild 1.0, Soul Eater, Gankutsuou, and something else. I heard Wakamoto was in this, might be worth checking out for that alone.

I understand all the speculation, but just how do you know FUNi's got Eva Rebuild 1.0, Gankutsuou, Soul Eater, and an unnamed show? Have they been posting clues on their site, and if so, do you have a link?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:13 am Reply with quote
Jeez, it's like they want to become Geneon 2.0. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by GATSU on Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:14 am Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I understand all the speculation, but just how do you know FUNi's got Eva Rebuild 1.0, Gankutsuou, Soul Eater, and an unnamed show? Have they been posting clues on their site, and if so, do you have a link?

All of the clues were posted in the original thread about FUNi's new show a a go-go. We got all 8 of the clues instantly, so the only thing left was to wait to see what the extra two slots were.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:14 am Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

http://nebs66.livejournal.com/843652.html
Nabari No Ou was a surprise, though.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:16 am Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Yes, they have. I'm lazy now but you can easily google "FUNimation new show hints" or something to that effect and easily find them.

5 of the 6 shows announced so far were pretty clearly hinted in the 8 clues they gave (Oh! Edo included, though there was some hope/speculation its hint might also have been about Gintama).
Sakaki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:18 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Sakaki wrote:

How can this be a surprise when we've all known it since those clues were added? If you didn't know about the clues, then okay, but it seems like most people just ignored them on purpose, like they weren't going to license what was painstakingly obvious.

And I think a problem with Gintama is that it's so long and doesn't really have the ability to be on TV like the other shounen series, it's just not cut out for it. It'd just be kinda risky without exposure, since convincing people to buy an endless amount of DVDs isn't convincing without having seen a good portion of it.

I dunno about that. First off Gintama's not really endless as it's probably going to wrap things up in March 2009. Though I get your point of it being long. Though the series will be running on CR as well, and that may at least get people interested in seeing more of it, (especially since they're probably not going to start from episode one) which could be captalized on by a license of the DVDs.

Gintama would do fine on TV. It's actually closer to a sitcom than a normal shounen when it's not being serious. Now if you're saying that the series has no where to go with the Anime on TV climate nowadays, I agree and apologize for assuming your meaning. I wouldn't say however that it wouldn't float if it got a chance, it's just that getting a chance now would be kind of tough but with the manga coming out by Viz, and the subs that are out giving a little bit of background Gintama doing well here isn't impossible. And also I didn't see the hints so I wasn't aware that Oh! Edo was among them.

@vicious (Sorry If I spelled that wrong.) I didn't know that if Bandai produces a show that they have to bring it over too....if that's the case, what's the deal? Gintama's been on for eons now.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:21 am Reply with quote
I meant both. They'd have to do a number of edits to make it passable on TV, and that no one would probably want to air it anyway.
Sakaki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:24 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I meant both. They'd have to do a number of edits to make it passable on TV, and that no one would probably want to air it anyway.

Ah. Well that would depend on where it airs. Though with the way things are the only place it would have been able to air uncut is AS and we all know that that ship has set sail and sunk. Personally I can easily watch the raws of the series as they come out, as I have a pretty stable understanding of Japanese...but that makes it tough to discuss it with others (and to get merchandise that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.) I still hope that it gets licensed, cause it's an anime I'd faithfully buy at a reasonable price. And I think Funi would do it justice.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:24 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

i've watched like 45 episodes so far, and have yet to see anything that couldn't be aired. hell one of the running gags is them trying keep the show clean, so they don't get pulled off the air.
Sakaki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:27 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

i've watched like 45 episodes so far, and have yet to see anything that couldn't be aired. hell one of the running gags is them trying keep the show clean, so they don't get pulled off the air.

Yeah, it's kind of a mixed bag. I too think that for the most part it's pretty harmless stuff (no worse than what passes on prime time now anyway.) But I can see where people would worry that some things would get the axe. Still I want a license. I want to legally be able to own the series on DVD.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:27 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I don't mean censorship edits, I mean edits to jokes, lines, etc. Whole meanings of things would be changed I imagine. I imagine a Lupin III or Shin-chan style of dub for Gintama for some reason.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5