• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Eyeshield 21 Football Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kokuryu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:03 am Reply with quote
Cool beans - now I can get caught up with where I left off a year ago...
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:06 am Reply with quote
man. i should try to pick this series up again. I liked it a fair bit, but it got to be meandering after a while like most long running shonen stuff.
braves

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:35 am Reply with quote
Cool. I'll finally get to watch this. This show seems like just my type of anime.

Hopefully it's successful on CR so that Viz can actually release it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bci110

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:55 am Reply with quote
Nice! Just in time for the NFL Playoffs Cool .

Plus everyone I know has been raving about this series so now I get a chance to see what the fuss is all about. Very Happy
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Interesting fact, before I deleted my account at Crunchyroll, I noticed Eyeshield 21 was on Crunchyroll despite the flashly letters "Licensed by Viz Media". I am pretty surprized Viz Media is actually allowing Crunchyroll to upload the entire series again.

Also, before the Toonami section of Cartoon Network ended, Eyeshield 21 was also on television as well. Including the Toonami Jetstream that was cancelled as well. And if my memory is right, news of Viz Media licensing Eye Shield 21 was on Anime News Network television not too long ago.

Personally, I've always enjoyed the manga much more than the anime. Though the anime had fantastic and well written theme songs, I could never really get into the series. Even watching this series in English could get me to really enjoy this series that much. But I've always enjoyed the manga version of Eyeshield 21.

The artwork, the character growth, the diologe and story arc's are truly fantastic in the manga of Eyeshield 21. It's a great series, but I enjoy the manga more.
Nebs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Also, before the Toonami section of Cartoon Network ended, Eyeshield 21 was also on television as well. Including the Toonami Jetstream that was cancelled as well. And if my memory is right, news of Viz Media licensing Eye Shield 21 was on Anime News Network television not too long ago.

Actually, Eyeshield 21 never aired on American TV. It was only on Jetstream for a few months, & then gone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
MetatronM

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Nebs wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Actually, Eyeshield 21 never aired on American TV. It was only on Jetstream for a few months, & then gone.
It was also edited to hell and back with several episodes condensed down into one.

Will be interesting to see what version they show on Crunchyroll.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I just know of this as the Aya Hirano show I have least interest in as I have little interest in sports anime an even less about American Football.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shepperoni

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Real football bores the hell outta me, but I love Eyeshield 21! I've kept up to date with all the manga releases. If only Toonami would've shown this series, it might have helped their ratings...
sublime40oz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll already streams all 145 episodes of Eyeshield 21 (Eng Sub), in fact I finished watching the series about a month or so ago. I guess this is an "official" announcement where Viz Media, the US Distributor, gave its blessing to Crunchyroll to stream the (prob crappy) English Dub series.

US Distributors need to grow a pair and release the Uncut-Unedited editions from the start!

From Wiki - Viz Media will release Eyeshield 21 on DVD in 2009. The DVDs will all each have 3 episodes each and will show only the North American edited TV version only. There will be no uncut DVDs, and the edited DVDs will each be rated at "A" for All Ages. Magna Pacific will release the anime on DVD in Australia.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! I hope that the version that airs on Crunchy Roll will be the uncut versions like what Toei is doing with Fist of the North Star, Slam Dunk, and Pretty Cure. Smile
sublime40Oz wrote:
From Wiki - Viz Media will release Eyeshield 21 on DVD in 2009. The DVDs will all each have 3 episodes each and will show only the North American edited TV version only. There will be no uncut DVDs, and the edited DVDs will each be rated at "A" for All Ages. Magna Pacific will release the anime on DVD in Australia.

Huh? Huh? HUUUUUUH????
braves

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:28 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
sublime40Oz wrote:

Huh? Huh? HUUUUUUH????

It's from Wikipedia. Plus, they don't even have a source on the Wikipedia page.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Oh I know about the "authenticity" of Wiki. Smile I just wanted an excuse to use that famous meme from the series. Smile
sublime40oz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:54 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
sublime40Oz wrote:

Huh? Huh? HUUUUUUH????

It's from Wikipedia. Plus, they don't even have a source on the Wikipedia page.

So true braves, I hope its wrong. It was a decent series similar to The Prince of Tennis. I wouldn't mind owning the set but not if its edited. I'm sure ANN will have more info in the future.
jeromeskee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Eyeshield is an awesome sports anime that every one needs to watch. It's not quite Ippo-status in terms of sports anime but its very good. Deimon vs. Shinryujii is an epic battle. I just wish that they didn't cut the anime short when they did. The music for this show is pretty good too.

Hiruma Youichi is a genius ya-ha!! Twisted Evil
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2