• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Underground/Art/Alternative Manga Discussion Thread

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Today I finally got a copy of Me and the Devil Blues (volume 1) I was surprised to find it at Barns and Nobles in their manga section. I wouldn't expect them to carry a manga that hasn't quite taken off. But I don't have any complaints. It's great so far, and I hope it stays that way for the rest of the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:40 pm Reply with quote
The second volume of Me and the Devil Blues is coming out this week. Be sure to look around for it.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I was just looking that up on Del Rey's website. December 30th. Very happy about it, the more of it I read, the more I love it. it looks like there's 4 volumes total so there's still a bit more to go.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Actually, the first volume release from Del Rey combines the first two Japanese volumes. The second volume release is going to combine the third and fourth volumes of the Japanese volumes.

Sadly, the chapters for the Japanese editions aren't released until Hiramoto is finished with an entire arc, and then they're serialized in the Afternoon magazine. And there hasn't been any sort of release for the Japanese volume five, so I don't know how long the waiting game is going to last.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Hm... I need to keep up with this stuff more often. Well at least we'll be getting the resent volumes.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:03 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Oh, and even though you've already bought it, I'll just second Highway Star, anyway: Domu: A Child's Dream, is one of the best manga ever.

Humph. The seller managed to send me the wrong book so I've had to send it back and order from someone else...I'm sure it will turn out to have been worth the wait.

Quote:
I actually plan to sell my copy soon; same deal for Sake Jock, if anyone is curious about that, as well.

Already got Sake Jock but I might be interested in Secret Comics Japan. All depends on the price really. PM me.
Highway Star

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Humph. The seller managed to send me the wrong book so I've had to send it back and order from someone else...I'm sure it will turn out to have been worth the wait.

Jeez, how could they have mixed your order up? I wouldn't bother with them again!

Quote:
Already got Sake Jock but I might be interested in Secret Comics Japan. All depends on the price really. PM me.

Yeah, how much would you be willing to sell Sake Jock and Secret Comics Japan for? You can PM me if you don't want to disclose the price here...
On a related note, I ordered Red Colored Elegy, Me & the Devil Blues volume 1, and Adolf - An Exile In Japan (volume 2) off BookDepository, alongside two non-manga comics (Alan's War and Glacial Period - of which both artists of these comics have contributed to the Japan anthology).
Really looking forward to getting these in the mail. Smile
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Highway Star wrote:
Jeez, how could they have mixed your order up? I wouldn't bother with them again!

No idea (different ISBN, title, year of publication, page count, publisher and nation of origin) but somehow they managed to send me volume 2 of the old 3-volume Dark Horse edition.
Not a problem though - my replacement copy (got the old UK edition from Mandarin in the end) arrived this morning and you were right: it was well worth buying. Some of Otomu's panels are just breathtaking (and not just the double page spreads). Great stuff.
In fact, it's been a very good day for comics today in the Moomintroll household. I also got around to reading Nate Powell's latest, Swallow Me Whole (which has got to be a contender for my vote for best graphic novel of 2008 - it's staggeringly good) and bought an enormous hardback copy of Linda Medley's Castle Waiting for less than half price, volume 2 of Me And The Devil Blues and one of Kazuo Umezu's Scary Book trilogy. Happy days.

Going back to Domu, it'd be interesting to compare the UK edition to the US edition since they have completely different translations. The lettering and touch-up art in the UK edition is pretty bad (though not enough to lessen my enjoyment of the book) but the text seemed smooth enough.

Quote:
Yeah, how much would you be willing to sell Sake Jock and Secret Comics Japan for? You can PM me if you don't want to disclose the price here...

Oi! I've got dibs on Secret Comics Japan. I'm willing to offer him a kidney for it. Wink

Quote:
alongside two non-manga comics (Alan's War and Glacial Period - of which both artists of these comics have contributed to the Japan anthology).

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with those BDs - it hadn't occurred to me to check whether or not any of the previously unknown (to me) Japan artists had other work available in English.
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I know I've been MIA on the forums for the most part, but I really appreciate this thread. The last manga I bought, I think, was Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms and that was... jeez, a good long while ago. So I'm definitely going to check out a few of these titles. My manga collection is relatively small but carefully, painstakingly chosen (I have a few OOP gems I'm particularly proud of). Memories: The Collection sounds absolutely amazing; I'm going to have to add that to my impossible-to-obtain-but-I'll-look-anyway list. (Wait, if that is the same thing as this, I already know where I can pick up a Japanese edition... this is available in English, you say?)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
I know I've been MIA on the forums for the most part, but I really appreciate this thread.

Me too. I'd more or less dropped off the boards but occasional threads like this one make it worth sticking around.

Quote:
(Wait, if that is the same thing as this, I already know where I can pick up a Japanese edition... this is available in English, you say?)

It was published in English in the UK by Mandarin and in Australia by Random House. It's always available for sale on Amazon.co.uk's marketplace but it does cost a bit (though rather less for non-Brits since the pound's plummeted in value over the past few months).

There's a copy up there at the moment for £28.88 which is as cheap as I've ever seen it - it normally goes for more like £50.
Highway Star

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
I know I've been MIA on the forums for the most part, but I really appreciate this thread. The last manga I bought, I think, was Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms and that was... jeez, a good long while ago. So I'm definitely going to check out a few of these titles. My manga collection is relatively small but carefully, painstakingly chosen (I have a few OOP gems I'm particularly proud of). Memories: The Collection sounds absolutely amazing; I'm going to have to add that to my impossible-to-obtain-but-I'll-look-anyway list. (Wait, if that is the same thing as this, I already know where I can pick up a Japanese edition... this is available in English, you say?)

Welcome back! Town of Evening Calm was absolutely beautiful, unfortunately under-appreciated despite being fairly accessible (at least art-wise, anyway).
And you're dead right, Kanojo No Omoide is indeed Memories : The Collection. It was published in English by Mandarin Paperbacks around 1994, I believe. I think Kagemusha has a copy of it, actually!
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
There's a copy up there at the moment for £28.88 which is as cheap as I've ever seen it - it normally goes for more like £50.

I actually google-searched the ISBN number and found a copy on the Amazon USA marketplace for $32.00 (and snatched it up, of course). This gives me... let's see, about another 9 months before I go off looking for manga again, if I keep my habits up. ;p

Ah, ANNers, this is why I love you all. You help me find all sorts of cool stuff. It's too bad that some stuff is really, truly impossible to find, such as the now-OOP Grasshoppa! DVD series I only collected halfway. Anime cry

Can anyone who has read Mariko Parade offer up an opinion? I read Kan Takahama's Kinderbook and enjoyed it very much--is this book in the same vein of storytelling? I really like the sample pages on Ponent Mon's website, but am waiting for a personal recommendation before I go ahead and buy it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Highway Star wrote:

Working out something with Moomintroll for Secret Comics Japan. See your PM box for Sake Jock.

Quote:
On a related note, I ordered Red Colored Elegy, Me & the Devil Blues volume 1, and Adolf - An Exile In Japan (volume 2) off BookDepository, alongside two non-manga comics (Alan's War and Glacial Period - of which both artists of these comics have contributed to the Japan anthology).

Nice.

Anyone check out Yokoyama's latest book, Travel? Loved the aesthetics of New Engineering, so I'm interested in that.

Cloe wrote:
I actually google-searched the ISBN number and found a copy on the Amazon USA marketplace for $32.00 (and snatched it up, of course).

Luck-y. Just got the other "relatively affordable" one there, at $40.00.

I'll never understand why prices are hiked up so high for secondhand, OOP books (particularly comics). I can't imagine that there would be too many people actually willing to put down the money...

Quote:
Can anyone who has read Mariko Parade offer up an opinion? I read Kan Takahama's Kinderbook and enjoyed it very much--is this book in the same vein of storytelling? I really like the sample pages on Ponent Mon's website, but am waiting for a personal recommendation before I go ahead and buy it.

It's not up to the excellence of Kinderbook, but it's pretty good. I'm not much of a fan of Boilet beyond his technical skill, but his work here meshes surprisingly well with Takahama's art and content.

I really hope that Fanfare/Ponent Mon is able to deliver Awabi next year. From what little I've read it might be even better than Kinderbook.
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:14 am Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Luck-y. Just got the other "relatively affordable" one there, at $40.00.

I'll never understand why prices are hiked up so high for secondhand, OOP books (particularly comics). I can't imagine that there would be too many people actually willing to put down the money...

$40 is still better than the price of the Japanese print copy I found a few months ago at Meltdown Comics here in L.A.--that one was selling for $80. I kept meaning to go back and get it but I'm glad I found out what it is here, first (I recognized the cover from ANN's encyclopedia page).

I think people instinctively know that once something goes OOP there's someone out there who's willing to pay the price, hence the price hike-ups. Every so often there's an incredible bargain to be found, though. I got Mr. Arashi's Amazing Freak Show for under $10 at a used book store a few years ago and you're lucky if you can find that under $100 nowadays.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:23 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:

Storytelling-wise it's a bit different from Kinderbook in that it's essentially Takahama's take on Boilet's life (interspersed with art from Boilet). It's a very good book and I highly recommend it but you should be aware that it follows on from Boilet's earlier, autobiographical, Yukiko's Spinach. You don't need to have read Yukiko's Spinach first to understand Mariko Parade but you might get slightly more out of it if you do (if only because you'll have a better understanding of the man Takahama is writing about).

HellKorn wrote:
Anyone check out Yokoyama's latest book, Travel? Loved the aesthetics of New Engineering, so I'm interested in that.

Judging from the preview pages I saw online a while back, it's a similarly kinetic comics-making experiment, only concentrating on a single narrative rather than a bunch of short pieces.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 88