• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Incest in anime.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anwar80

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:03 am Reply with quote
I noticed that lot of Japaneses anime has incest storyline, mostly between siblings or mom & son.

Basically, I don't see a problem with this. But I wish if the stories were at least decent. And not only between step family members.

Incest is a big taboo around the world & I wonder how do you guys feel about the subject, does it bother you ?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:04 am Reply with quote
Where are these anime? There might be some things where a mother and son are close, but things never actually happen. Not even in hentai, it's alwasys steps if it's an incest hentai.

The only place where I've ever seen canon incest in any form take place are in ero manga, that's it.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:22 am Reply with quote
I've heard of a few (non hentai) manga envolving incest. Nothing big though. You seem to talk about it as if this is a common thing in anime. But, to my knowlage, this is quite rare.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:26 am Reply with quote
Well...at least the discussion isn't on loli...err... Shocked

But I can think of only two examples, one concrete, another in a show I've seen where it was merely hinted at and nothing more.

Concrete: Angel Sanctuary

Implied: Tenjho Tenge: spoiler[in the flashbacks, it is hinted at (but nothing more) that Shin had...less-than-acceptable feelings towards his sister, but this is more suggested than true]
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:51 am Reply with quote
How strange, I just finished a fairly tame show (though based on an ero game if I recall) called Akane-Iro ni Somaru Saka which I commented on today that has this element in it. spoiler[ Of course, it is hinted at lightly that she isn't a blood relative, and this is clarified for the viewer at the very end of the show. It isn't, however, explained to the siblings who still go along with it quite merrily. ]
Sky Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:56 am Reply with quote
I wonder what would happen if Ben Tennyson expressed any interest in his cousin Gwen..... Wink
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:05 am Reply with quote
I know of one incest-themed anime title that received praise from critics and fans for its scripting a few years back in the form of Geneon title, Koi Kaze. Then, there was another one that didn't get as well praised since it took several volumes of its manga counterpart and tried compressing it into a 45-minute OAV called Boku wa Imouto wa Koi o Suru.

@Sky Captain: That has nothing to do with anime. But considering that the two are cousins, most cultures wouldn't consider the relationship to be incestuous since the genetics between the two aren't so similar.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sk1199

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:32 am Reply with quote
Not to derail this but. Ben & Gwen are 1st cousins, which most cultures consider too close to allow to marry.
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:24 am Reply with quote
Here are some:

http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=240 Lol she has a one night stand and later finds out he is her younger brother. She screwed up big time. Laughing I sorta want to read this because I heard its so screwed up..but the soap opera part makes me not want to read it at all.

http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=577 Why did I read this one? I knew what I was getting into. I still read it. This one is just plain creepy. It does not sit well with me. I only read a few chapters. But I dont feel sorry for the guy. Its like the author wants me to but I dont. In fact I simply cant stand him. Wink

I dont count stuff like Marmalade Boy though. That really does not count at all.

...That aside has anyone read an incest manga that was actually well done and made you root for the characters and pity them? And not have incest purely for shock value? And not having the brother molesting his sister? I'm seriously asking. Besides Koi Kaze. The guy was too ugly as shallow as that sounds. He looked like a old man next to his sister so its like incest pedo action. Double the taboo.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:48 am Reply with quote
Pinkwings wrote:
Besides Koi Kaze. The guy was too ugly as shallow as that sounds. He looked like a old man next to his sister so its like incest pedo action. Double the taboo.

Anime has a habit of pairing teens with adults. So, this aspect doesn't surprise me so much and I wouldn't consider it a double taboo, especially since the legal age of marriage in Japan for women is supposed to be 16 with parental consent. And I thought Koshiro being designed the way he was gave the series more authenticity. Granted, he's not the most handsome of guys like you would find with enough bishounen and biseinen characters in most anime titles. But, he's not ugly either. It just goes to show how average the guy is giving it a greater sense of believability.

Otherwise outside of Koi Kaze, I don't know of other anime titles that seriously explore an incest relationship besides using it as a form of shock value.
angel_lover

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:41 am Reply with quote
sk1199 wrote:
Not to derail this but. Ben & Gwen are 1st cousins, which most cultures consider too close to allow to marry.

Not true. Most cultures do accept 1st cousin marriages, it's mainly the US that has a problem with it. Actually, 1st cousin marriages are only forbidden outright in 24 states. Even then, in at least 8 of those, they may marry in a state that permits it and their marriage will still be recognised, and in at least a further 7 of those states, although they can't marry, they can still legally have sex. I can understand the origins of the prohibition in the early days of US settlement with small, widespread communities, but there's no real need for it these days, unless of course the old slurs about inbred populations in certain areas are still to be believed.

Anyway, incest doesn't bother me as a topic for fiction. Koi Kaze has already been mentioned, and in my opinion is the best anime by far on the topic. Even without the incest angle, it would actually be a pretty good love story, but given that the protagonists are full brother and sister (although they didn't realise it at first), it's almost unbearably poignant at times. Going "down market", there's Myself ; Yourself, which has full brother-sister incest as a minor plot element. For sister-sister relationships, in Simoun two sisters have sex, and although it's yet to be fully confirmed because it's ongoing, Candy Boy features a possibly incestuous relationship between a pair of twin sisters.

Ggultra2764 wrote:
Otherwise outside of Koi Kaze, I don't know of other anime titles that seriously explore an incest relationship besides using it as a form of shock value.

I'm going out on a limb here because I know a lot of people don't agree, but Grave of the Fireflies is also about brother-sister incest and its tragic consequences (if you won't take my word for it, try Mamoru Oshii's).

If anyone thinks there's a lot of incest in anime, there probably isn't in proportion to the amount that actually takes place in real life. Check out Wikipedia for the relevant academic studies.
Anwar80

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:48 am Reply with quote
My only problem with Koi Kaze, is the age gap. The brother is way too old for his sister.

As for 1st cousin marriages, it is not taboo here in Egypt & other countries in the Middle East and Asia. In fact, people are encouraged to marry their cousins
angel_lover

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:58 am Reply with quote
Anwar80 wrote:
My only problem with Koi Kaze, is the age gap. The brother is way too old for his sister.

If you think that's an age gap, you should try the one in "Love in the Time of Cholera" by Gabriel García Márquez Wink
orochimaruSanin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Indeed; Koi Kaze is the only anime which comes to my mind when talking about *real* incest. All along the series I was hoping for something along the lines of a confession from his father that the girl wasn't his real sister but...

> Incest is a big taboo around the world & I wonder how do you guys
> feel about the subject, does it bother you ?

Personally I feel that this topic isn't worth discussing because I consider it to an absolute crime; I don't care what others think of this. And yes, JFTR, it bothers me, as does yuri and yaoi.
Sky Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
@Sky Captain: That has nothing to do with anime. But considering that the two are cousins, most cultures wouldn't consider the relationship to be incestuous since the genetics between the two aren't so similar.

How true. But in the U.S.A., cousin marriage is illegal because of the recessive gene problem that can crop up. Of course, since Ben & Gwen are aliens anyway, it shouldn't really matter. And I mentioned both because the style of Ben 10 is similar to anime to begin with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6