• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Saber Teeth

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Happy new year Bamboo, I look forward to reading your column this year. I might rent Tales of Phantasia just to see if I might enjoy it, but a girl taling to a tree is a little much.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Happy new year Bamboo, I look forward to reading your column this year. I might rent Tales of Phantasia just to see if I might enjoy it, but a girl taling to a tree is a little much.

The spirit of a single tree, mind you. And it is something important.

Those shelves remind me of mine; lots of incomplete series.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:35 pm Reply with quote
They really don't make shows like this anymore, and they ought to. I could easily see this on Cartoon Network, nestled between Scooby Doo and infinite marathons of Land Before Time VII.

In short: hell. Anime smile
Whatevers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:40 pm Reply with quote

Last edited by Whatevers on Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Haha, I was one who actually watched the Saber Rider series when it was on TV; it was my first anime, and I thought it was great (I even liked the theme song)!

Then, I watched a clip on youtube the other day and almost died laughing (a very good example of why I steer clear of dubs, although I do know they're not all as bad as this). I'm tempted to get this for the hilarity factor, but I could just as easily spend my money on something good.

Will probably rent though, for fun.

I am very curious how the original sub is. Too bad it's not available here.
sepherest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:44 pm Reply with quote
That shelf makes me happy to know that I'm not the only person that owns a copy of Mad Maestro.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Even if someone has never even heard of this game before, I bet you $10 and my new socks that they would be able to tell you that it was adapted from a video game.

New socks? Do tell!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Thank you so much for the review on Claymore. Honestly, I had been turned off the series when I skimmed the first few chapters of the manga, so I hadn't planned to give it a second look, but after reading your praising review I have to say my mind's been changed, and now I'm gonna try to rent/borrow it to see what's what.

Who knows? I've been quick to judge in the past, and when I've revisited a series before, sometimes I've come out liking it. Hopefully this'll be one of those times. Anime hyper
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Picture's a bit blurry, but still readable. Though I was paying more attention to that vibrant blue wallpaint. Good lord, that's either amazing or an eye sore.

Sailor Moon VHS tapes Laughing and a Sims CD. yay.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So once again, in the end, this kind of thing appeals to no one.

Eh, you were pretty much right on the money with your analysis of the ToP OVA, but I'd rather watch that than Claymore, especially since the only good part in Claymore was the Teresa flashback. It was horribly boring and unoriginal before that and then it became just plain horrible after that, especially at the end. In my opinion, of course, I'm not trying to say anyone's wrong for disagreeing or that it's wrong to like Claymore. Just that I didn't.
vapwaazu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Heh, I used to collect Ramune bottles as well. Though, I never knew there were so many different labels Laughing Threw them all away though.... Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JohnathanEnder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:11 pm Reply with quote
You forgot one of the best things about Saber Rider. The generic lightsaber knock-offs in the dub were called, and I quote...

"Sizzling Prods"

That alone is worth the price.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:45 pm Reply with quote
When you say all of He-man, does that include the Dolph Lundgren film and that crappy early 90s cartoon remake?
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Nice job on the Claymore review. I got the first volume and thought "Wow, it looks pretty and has tons of action, but the plot is a bit lacking". Then I watched volume 2, and all my fears were put to rest. It goes from "pretty cool" to "freaking awesome" in a heartbeat.

Everyone on here is saying that the ending sucks, but I'm going to trust what Key said in a different thread that it actually has a decent ending.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Happy new year Bamboo, I look forward to reading your column this year. I might rent Tales of Phantasia just to see if I might enjoy it, but a girl talking to a tree is a little much.

Maybe she's on 'shrooms? Razz

Saber Riders sounds like it could have some great drinking games made out of it Wink .

And yes, Clare is one of my two current favorite heroines of the year; the other one being Balsa from Moribito.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3