• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Animation DVD Ranking, December 23-January 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Hey, Ga-Rei Zero made it! I heard it ended up being a surprise hit for the Japanese otaku.

And I'll probably give a "hell yeah" for the blatant yuri undertone of Elia and Sanya holding a lily flower on that DVD cover. Funny thing to note how those two are becoming the most favorite slashed yuri pairing considering they're dressed a bit more conservatively than the other Strike Witches. Laughing
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:30 am Reply with quote
I have to go back and watch Ga-Rei Zero. The first two episodes didn't impress me, but I grabbed it anyway. And Strike Witches... I was hoping to skip that one, but I'm too curious now as to why it's been such a big success. Apparently it's more than the pants-less lolis (for some reason, I just still can't believe it's true...). I did watch a couple of episodes, but the loli ecchi in this one just seemed so ridiculously over the top. Nodame Cantabile keeps on keeping on. Still wondering why it hasn't been licensed in the U.S.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:58 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
I have to go back and watch Ga-Rei Zero. The first two episodes didn't impress me, but I grabbed it anyway. And Strike Witches... I was hoping to skip that one, but I'm too curious now as to why it's been such a big success. Apparently it's more than the pants-less lolis (for some reason, I just still can't believe it's true...). I did watch a couple of episodes, but the loli ecchi in this one just seemed so ridiculously over the top. Nodame Cantabile keeps on keeping on. Still wondering why it hasn't been licensed in the U.S.

Probably because of the loli ecchi. Also kinda susprised Resident Evil Degeneration is in #3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:06 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
And Strike Witches... I was hoping to skip that one, but I'm too curious now as to why it's been such a big success. Apparently it's more than the pants-less lolis (for some reason, I just still can't believe it's true...). I did watch a couple of episodes, but the loli ecchi in this one just seemed so ridiculously over the top.

It's a combination of that, girls with (rather accurately designed) guns, and World War 2 references that pretty much attracted a large section of the Japanese otaku.
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Also kinda susprised Resident Evil Degeneration is in #3

No kidding. I haven't seen it, but I did not hear good things about it. I don't know if it's worse than the others, which were okay but certainly not great.

darkchibi07 wrote:
It's a combination of that, girls with (rather accurately designed) guns, and World War 2 references that pretty much attracted a large section of the Japanese otaku.

Ah.. the WW II stuff. I missed that motivation. But people have said it's a good story as well, so I'll eventually check it out.
Some Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:33 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it's funny but Strike Witches first caught my attention for its attention to detail in some of the WWII aspects (like the use of the steam on the front of the aircraft carrier), and then I kept watching it for the story, there were a couple pretty dramatic moments in it that definitely had me waiting for the next episode with baited breath. So I will chock up its (relative) success to three things:

-Good attention to detail on things like the firearms and the aircraft carrier.

-A good story, that while be no means is "OMG best EVAR" it gives the characters good back stories which actually are delved into fairly deeply for some of the characters, has some pretty good moments of drama, and an ending the wraps everything up nicely and IMO in a good way.

-And of course, the Ecchi/Loli stuff, while it is quite pervasive, they make good use of it as both a device for fan service and perverse humor. To what degree the Loli/Echhi/Fanservice really depends heavily on the episode though, as an example I would put the first episode somewhere a bit below the middle end of this shows scale.

There is a chance that if this gets licensed I'll pick it up. Lord knows how they (the licensor) would try to market this, cause it would be and interesting challenge given the humongous cavern between American and Japanese culture when it comes to some of the... [i]other[i/] (read: Lolita) aspects of the show.

Last edited by Some Guy on Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:07 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
Also kinda susprised Resident Evil Degeneration is in #3

No kidding. I haven't seen it, but I did not hear good things about it. I don't know if it's worse than the others, which were okay but certainly not great.

Neither have I but i'm interested in both the resident evil movie and Srtike Witches.Especially strike witches.Hope it gets licensed soon,with all of the fanservice intact too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Some Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:16 am Reply with quote
Ignore this.

ME+ Interwebz = Fail
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1