• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Multinational, Same-Day Debuts of Shippuden, Gintama, Kurokami

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
halo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:52 am Reply with quote
Crunchyroll good, iaTV bad... mkay!

Seriously Bandai, get this to the other 99% of us.
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:19 am Reply with quote
kurokami dub? so early? i didn't know it was getting dubbed Confused , i thought it just came out.
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:40 am Reply with quote
I'm curious to see how this English dub will turn out, considering how it's being produced. But I still can't seem to understand why Kurokami isn't being streamed simultaneously or even a week later; especially, in this day and age. Is it reluctance on the Japanese side of things? Is it iaTV?
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:11 am Reply with quote
The broadcast on iaTV is just a trial, I imagine, to see what kind of numbers they can pull. Might be more lucrative via TV if the audience is there. True it isn't widely available, but it covers most of Los Angeles, and some of New York, Dallas, Houston and a couple of other large cities. I, too, am curious how the dub turns out more than anything else.
Kiriska

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:16 am Reply with quote
Kurokami's dub broadcast will reach little enough people that it won't matter. They really just ought to have it streaming.

Though honestly, they also could have picked a better series. From the first episode, I'm already judging this series to be trash, especially compared to manga.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:19 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen the manga, but I really like Kurokami so far. (If you're judging it on that fansub that surfaced of ep 1, don't. It's the worst translation ever, to the point where it doesn't even make sense.)
kokuryu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:54 am Reply with quote
Mmm, iaTV needs to put up a web based feed for their videos. The channel is just not available in 99% of the country. Sucks.

In the meantime, looks like Crunchyroll is the place to be! Bandai should put all of its shows up on Crunchyroll instead!
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:49 am Reply with quote
they can put on Crunchyroll, youtube, or veoh is fine.
Imagin Asian is available in San Francisco i think when was living there. Channel 20 something.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:56 am Reply with quote
Ah, I was waiting for any updates on 'Kurokami'. Though I would like to know how the HELL I'm going to be able to see it. I don't have iaTV. Gee...y'know... Bandai should've had a damn YT channel for their stuff. And now this would be a good time.

Really wanted to see this.
Loren Leah

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Good job, Bandai. Laughing I'd love to support the simultaneous release of Kurokami, except for how I'd have to drive, oh, a day or so to even get to the closest service area for iaTV... Whoops.

Hopefully it won't bomb too badly and they'll consider a more accessible release soon.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:27 pm Reply with quote
from what I'm aware, the anime is completely original taking small bits and pieces from the manga. Plus dubbing off pencil sketches isn't very promising.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
from what I'm aware, the anime is completely original taking small bits and pieces from the manga. Plus dubbing off pencil sketches isn't very promising.

Pencil sketch dubbing is the best they could do in the little time they have. Either you get it done fast, or you get it done right(at least until the Japanese are much more accommodating to the US anime market). Who knows, maybe this will be a fantastic dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
testorschoice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

The Japanese dubbing is being done from pencil sketches too. In fact, many television anime series that we have watched over the years have been dubbed off pencil sketches. It's a matter of practicality in the rushed TV schedules--when the animation team is still working on an episode up until the week it's airing, the Japanese voice cast often have no choice but to work off pencil sketches.

Kurokami is putting the American dubbers in the same boat that Japanese dubbers of TV anime have been in for decades.
Stewiesan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:15 pm Reply with quote
One week delay?

Viz knows that the only way to kill fansubs is to release episodes before the fansubbers? If they don't what the point? People will continue downloading fansubs unless they release it within a day or two on Hulu or Naruto.com.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:44 pm Reply with quote
just finished watching the Kurokami dub. it actually wasn't too bad at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2