• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Magic & Lyrics

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jadress

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:06 am Reply with quote
Hahah, oh my God, I remember MAPS. Well.. I remember that it was mostly forgettable, although I thought the creepy winged-lady-shaped spaceships and the women pilots being physical manifestations of the ships were a cool idea at the time. I also remember I had the opening put on my old "Openings tape" where we compiled openings and endings we like that I watched over and over again. I bet that opening is probably terrible by now. I don't know why such a show would be re-released either.

My favorite bit of news I've heard about Playstation Home was some big guy at Sony saying that PS3's were going to fly off the shelves in Europe solely BECAUSE of Home, because no one else was doing something so *original*! Sheer comedy! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:15 am Reply with quote
Now maybe it's because i've seen all 3 seasons, and when i watched them the first time i watched A's right after S1 Nanoha, but i still really like the over all Nanoha saga, it breaks more than a few conventions on how magical girls works.

As noted by my ownership of the box, a preorder of A's a Nanoha (age 19 ver) Figma and Fate (age 19 ver) Figma sitting on my desk right now. And the fact that right now my new BESM character is Nanoha-verse based.

-Gabe, who liked it alot when the characters aged 10 years after A's
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:15 am Reply with quote
I'm actually so glad that Funi got the rights and released a new boxset of Xenosaga so quickly. Although I never played the games, I did love the anime. And I'm glad it got a mostly positive review from this. ^^

Can't wait to go and pick it up; it's not one of my favorite anime, but still one I'd love to own and watch in between watching my favorites over and over. =P
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:20 am Reply with quote
Man, every time I read a review from someone looking at something from back in the day, all I ever get is negative vibes. I understand you are entitled to your opinion no matter how much I may disagree with it but, damn...I wish folks would learn to appreciate things that weren't made today or that reflect a design aesthetic from a different era. I honestly cannot comprehend the hate that folks have for the 1980's. I'm sure as time goes on, some folks will look back on our current era and wonder what the hell we were thinking as well.

I, personally, think it's silly to base an opinion of a show on how bad the designs look to your "modern" sensibilities. Just try to enjoy something for what it is, not what era it came from. If you found it boring, just say it was boring and leave it at that. It's fine if you don't like said designs but, don't make it sound like the 1980's were some horribly backwards time or that the designs look like they came from the dark ages of anime or something. This is one thing I cannot fathom about anime fans...all this bashing of things that came before their time. Not everything is going to be a "timeless classic" that doesn't reflect the age it was made in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There are old shows that can retain their charm long after they've debuted. Then there are shows that are prematurely old to begin with, and have a shelf life of about two days after their initial release. Why [MAPS] has been re-released is beyond my comprehension. My best guess is that it's the only kind of dreck that ADV has left. Poor bastards
I'd say they have some decent shows left, but it seems like ADV's reluctant to re-release anything that originally came out in the early 2000s. Instead, they do old 90s stuff like Maps, Devil Hunter Yohko, Eva, and Blue Seed, or more recent stuff like Full Metal Panic and Chrono Crusade. Meanwhile, used copies of collections for shows like Steel Angel Kurumi and Princess Nine fetch at or above-MSRP prices on the used market.
leftbehindxp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:46 am Reply with quote
LeoKnight25 wrote:
...I wish folks would learn to appreciate things that weren't made today or that reflect a design aesthetic from a different era...
I, personally, think it's silly to base an opinion of a show on how bad the designs look to your "modern" sensibilities. Just try to enjoy something for what it is, not what era it came from. If you found it boring, just say it was boring and leave it at that. It's fine if you don't like said designs but, don't make it sound like the 1980's were some horribly backwards time or that the designs look like they came from the dark ages of anime or something. This is one thing I cannot fathom about anime fans...all this bashing of things that came before their time. Not everything is going to be a "timeless classic" that doesn't reflect the age it was made in.

I agree with you there. Like one time I went to an anime club at my college I'm at now, brought some of my series, and people were bashing all the old school gundam stuff I had. They even bashed Wing, and that wasn't that long ago. I'm only 19 and an anime fan for 10, but damn I see people bash stuff because it doesn't look as nice as stuff now, or don't give it a chance because of its age, and I hate that people judge it like that. Even my friends who are heavy in anime don't appreciate stuff form other eras because of things you said and others, and its disappointing.
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:46 am Reply with quote
I have to admit, I've never seen MAPS but I always wanted to because of the really amazing ADV trailers at the beginning of their VHS tapes. DO IT NOW.

Ah... the memories.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:49 am Reply with quote
Too bad nobody warned you about Home, but at least you didn't stick around long enough to get disappointed by the parts Sony can actually control.

My first thought on seeing Nanohana in the perishible pile was just how steamed Richard J would get, but you did quite a lot of reconciling in the latter third of your review. A whole lot for a show you fell asleep during, actually. Maybe if you felt a re-watch with time shifting would do it a world of good ... or it was a coping mechanism for knowing the second season is also coming out soon. Either way. Then again, you knocked Xenosaga up a notch and were relatively kind to MAPS, so it was likely just coming off the buzz from being able to finish the first season of When They Cry.

As to the collection, I hope you have the 4th Alien Nine book, I seem to recall it being one of the better ones (along with #3.)
daedelus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:22 am Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
My first thought on seeing Nanohana in the perishible pile was just how steamed Richard J would get,

Funny, that's exactly what I first thought of as well.

I've been patiently waiting for my local Best Buy to get When they Cry vol. 6, but they still haven't. I guess I'm going to have to go the online route.

I love Xenosaga. I've played the first two games and I started the third, but as what happens a lot to me, something else caught my attention and I never finished. I need to restart that someday soon. Chris Ayres, who directed the English dub, said at a Xenosaga panel that it was of paramount importance to deliver a performance that would honor the fans of the game. I think he did a great job. I only wish series based on the 2nd and 3rd games were made too. A fan can dream...
B.K.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:10 am Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
I only wish series based on the 2nd and 3rd games were made too. A fan can dream...

As horribly as they butchered Episode I's story with Xenosaga: The Animation, I would hate to see what they would do with Episode II and III.
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:58 am Reply with quote
Home is actually not that bad i enjoy it but the only problem i have with it its like if you want to go into the Mall or the bowling alley you have to freaking download it in order to enter it. when i first started using Home i walked over to the mall right into the doorway and then its like bam please download it to your HDD in order to gain access into the mall. but people please remember its still in the Beta stage of its life full version is not out yet.

anyways back on topic im so glad When They Cry got shelf worthy but disappointed that Nanoha didn't get at least a rental shelf. Xenosaga the Animation was just ok but its nowhere as good as the videogames
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:26 am Reply with quote
is it just me or ANN just HATES Nanoha to death for some odd reason???

personally i loved the series....great character design (no...don't even say "loli"), good pacing (not really slow but very engaging from episode to episode with great action scenes), and pretty good plot (involving Fate and her mother)...

i'm sure everyone read the previous review of Nanoha by Carl Kimlinger last month....and DAMM it was a mess of forum posts....

i swear there was gonna be death threats and lynching to go with it...

i can't wait to get Nanoha A's when it comes out on DVD...too bad StrikerS won't be released and i wanted to complete the collection...

Last edited by icepick314 on Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:55 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Outlaw_Spike

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:48 am Reply with quote
Hope this isn't nitpicking, but...

Bamboo Dong wrote:
Yet another one erupted when one of them confessed to a history of homicide, and his cohorts assured him that understanding and acceptance is what friends do.

If you're referring to Keiichi, spoiler[I was pretty sure he was shooting the girls with either a BB gun or airsoft gun.]

Sorry if that's too nitpicky, but I thought it was off enough to mention.
Ligene

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:22 am Reply with quote
I still fail to see the reason why people are getting riled up about all the negative reviews for Nanoha. I watched it and promptly forgot everything that happened three days later - wasn't my kind of show. Yet when I see people hating on Innocent Venus I don't immediately have to defend it, despite the fact I enjoyed it.

An opinion is an opinion, it's not gonna agree with yours 100%. It'll save you a lot of grief and time by accepting this. I have, and my life is much brighter. Very Happy

Moving along, was surprised to see Xenosaga getting a somewhat favorable review, since everyone I've talked to has called it trash.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:41 am Reply with quote
Haven't seen MAPS in years. Only saw the Tagalog dub on Pinoy Blockbuster Channel (now Cinema One, which no longer has any anime). Found it entertaining at the time. ISTR that Lipumira was played by the same VA as Ryoko in the Tagalog dub on of Tenchi on TV; Rowena Benavidez was Ayeka as well as one of the bad guys in MAPS, so the antagonistic chemistry carried over.

Regarding this week's pics, I wish I still had my 1/55 Takatoku Valkyries. Totally wrecked them when I was a kid. One of them was even the VF-1S Super Valkyrie (Skull Squadron leader) with Hikaru Ichijou on the box art.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3