• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Kids Station Cancels Its Hetalia Anime Run

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edzieba

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Well that's... actually quite surprising. And it appears Kids Station was the only channel scheduled to air it too.
darcerin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm assuming "various circumstances" would translate to "controversial topics that might offend people". *shrug* I've never seen so many fans up in arms on both sides of the table over a show/manga. I read the first few chapters, and I'm failing to see the appeal of it. *shrug*
Aikoh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean that the anime still has the opportunity to be aired on another station, or is it now not going to be aired anywhere?
Proman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:14 pm Reply with quote
And thus, once again, the World War 3 was averted.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Aw, but I love the delightfully insensitive, offensive Japanese nature of it. It makes me say, "Oh Japan, what are your mother and I going to do with you?" and pat the country on the head as I scoot it off to play with its toys.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Maryohki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I am furious. Are you happy, now, Hetalia haters everywhere? You've ruined people's fun for NO reason. All you had to do was just ignore the show and let us enjoy ourselves. But no. You had to wreck it for the rest of us. Good job.
Case

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:32 pm Reply with quote
More proof that mainstream Japan is unfortunately getting way too demanding about TV censorship the way the mainstream US has been for some 30-40 years.

As always, thank god for the internet. Cool
Seiitsuno Megami

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:33 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Aw, but I love the delightfully insensitive, offensive Japanese nature of it. It makes me say, "Oh Japan, what are your mother and I going to do with you?" and pat the country on the head as I scoot it off to play with its toys.

You've never read the series, have you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
CatzCradle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:36 pm Reply with quote
@!#%!!!

This is horrible! Mad

Probably the only anime and joy in life that I was really looking forward to in the upcoming season. *RAGE* Evil or Very Mad
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I, however, LOVE the double standard here.

A show about young women from different countries, showing off their pantied crotches, magically flying around and shooting at aliens? Oh! And it's based around WWII.

DVD sales are past that magic number of 10,000; right up there with Code Geass and CLANNAD.

But a show about guys who represent several different countries...? No. It needs to be cancelled due to "various circumstances."

But, as I know, this is merely just a tip of the iceberg. Arrow
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:44 pm Reply with quote
CatzCradle wrote:
@!#%!!!

This is horrible! Mad

Probably the only anime and joy in life that I was really looking forward to in the upcoming season. *RAGE* Evil or Very Mad

Go watch "RideBack;" it's quite good.

Meanwhile, the little I've read of Hetalia didn't appeal much to me, or offend me either. But I can see how it would be offensive to some people, since it's predicated on stereotypes of different nations. Bear in mind that Korea was occupied by Japan for decades, and that Koreans living in Japan still face discrimination; there's a lot of anger there that non-Koreans may not understand.

Now, I think most people who read it are well aware that it's not a real reflection of the nature of the country, that it's a joke - but maybe that means it's better that it remains a cult thing online, where it won't ruffle as many feathers.
minakichan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:45 pm Reply with quote
...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

(Aru!)
marzipan.dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Case wrote:

As always, thank god for the internet. Cool

Yep.
bleuster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:53 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
but maybe that means it's better that it remains a cult thing online, where it won't ruffle as many feathers.

People need feathers ruffled sometimes to reflect, or perhaps, one day, those feathers will turn to steel and then start to ruffle you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
everluxxe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:53 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Your disparaging tone irked me so much. You sound like a hypocrite (or less harhsly, an aloof... opportunist) utilizing anthropomorphism and treating "Japan" as nothing but a mere producer of your "toys." I don't suppose this makes you discriminatory either.

Generalizing the beliefs of a whole culture (and/or fandom) is just as "delightfully insensitive [and] offensive." The author lives and goes to school in New York; it's not like he's learned only one side of history.

To end: Anyone who is thinking of reading APH looking for another Maus will be severely disappointed. I think it's apt to say that most of APH runs like an Eddie Izzard routine (see "Empires"). To each their own.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7