• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New DVD Company to Release 8 of the Earliest Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:07 pm Reply with quote
AWESOME! I've been waiting for something like this!
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Thismis good news!
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quote
This is good news. Now if I can get my job to buy it for the collection.
RedTail

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I'll wait until it's distributed a little more widely and I can get it on sale somewhere.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Very interesting! I'll keep my fingers crossed that it gets a wider distribution, though. =\
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:00 pm Reply with quote
RedTail wrote:
I'll wait until it's distributed a little more widely and I can get it on sale somewhere.

Don't hold your breath. The release of this sort was only available in Japan at a specific website only.
Grico

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Very interesting. I'll be tempted to pick it up at some point.
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Im just waiting for it to arrive to place my order. Cant wait to see it.

R.
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Great! This sort of thing my mom would be interested in, so I'll probably be able to get it xD Exploitation of parents for the win. Kidding, though I'm happy that there is something I'm interested in that my family would be too. That sounds so cool!
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Gonna be a hard sell for sure for most people, but I might get it.

People today are so generally ignorant of history and basically don't want to see much made "before their time."

Some of the best films ever made are from the 1930s and 1940s! I'd argue you can't find finer animation that what was made in the US in the 1940s!

(Japan's Golden Age of Animation, by contrast, was in the 1980s. That was a more fruitful and blooming wellspring of ideas and grand epics from Japan than what we've seen the past twenty years. Unfortunately, the sheer ignorance of people and their unwillingness to seek out these films -- in addition their mass unavailability in Japan and the US(!) -- is a big block to getting more to appreciate what was produced in that era and what has endured since then.)

I'm wondering if that 37-minute propaganda film is the one shown in LA a few years ago by ASIFA-Hollywood. If that's the case, I'm definitely signed on as getting this DVD just for a copy of that film!
JELEINEN

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:44 pm Reply with quote
The Momotaro film is one I've been wanting to see for a while now. This is welcome news.
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:57 pm Reply with quote
As a fan of the history of film, animation, and anime, this is a dream freaking come true. ::want:: Thank you for posting this or I never would have known about it.
The Unknown 24

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:08 pm Reply with quote
This sounds really cool. I'd love to buy a copy of it to add to the anime collection. Got to see how the finances(bills,every day life,etc...) go first though!!!

Very Happy Twisted Evil Very Happy
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:19 pm Reply with quote
This does sound pretty cool. I'm interested in the new company too. It's been a while since someone's tried to jump into the market
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:41 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
(Japan's Golden Age of Animation, by contrast, was in the 1980s. That was a more fruitful and blooming wellspring of ideas and grand epics from Japan than what we've seen the past twenty years. Unfortunately, the sheer ignorance of people and their unwillingness to seek out these films -- in addition their mass unavailability in Japan and the US(!) -- is a big block to getting more to appreciate what was produced in that era and what has endured since then.)

Yes, such masterpieces as "Fist of the North Star" TV series totally overshadow lame recent entries as "Gankutsuou"... Rolling Eyes I know, there was some great stuff produced then and a lot of crap produced now, but there's a lot of great stuff now, and a lot of crap produced then. I'm sick of the nostalgia-whining.

The propaganda piece interests me, as one of the odder VHS purchases my father ever made was of classic Looney Tunes from the 40s, one bit of which featured Daffy Duck taking out Hitler. I'm trying to imagine the Powerpuff Girls beating up Saddam Hussein, and it's making me laugh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3