• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Shugo Chronicles

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:24 am Reply with quote
The messy artwork in Trigun is probably just to go along with the story. The show starts off based entirely on discovering Vash's past which is all well and good (the general whiny nature of Vash aside) but then after like 10 episodes they drop the veil and it just becomes a random mishmash of stupid bullshit and unimportant characters being killed in unimportant ways. I criticise Basilisk for the same thing but they at least made it all about the killing. In Trigun they took what should have been pointless masturbation of violence and turned it into people with exploding saxophones and mile-long sniper rifles.

I'll inevitably get flak for making the first post in this discussion a resounding dismissal of a classic (god knows why) anime series but the series is utter garbage in any format.

It's good to see some B+s and such though. Gives me something to look out for now that Eden is stalled insanely and I'm not really sticking to much else.
CatzCradle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:12 am Reply with quote
Although I agree that the Togainu no Chi (Chayamachi Suguro version) is not very good, I think the score here was a little too harsh. However, I do believe that for those who want to read an actual good version of Togainu no Chi, I'd suggest the Tomoe Sato version, but it hasn't been licensed. Rolling Eyes
domino

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:12 am Reply with quote
That version of "Togainu no Chi" grew on me by the 2nd or 3rd volume somehow. I went from thinking "this art is sloppy and looks like someone spilled ink all over the page!" to thinking "this artist is a light and shadow genius!" by volume 2 as well. I guess it's a matter of getting used to things.

But I guess even then, the story probably doesn't make any damn sense to people who haven't played the game. But if you've played the original story it's fun to see some characters fleshed out a bit.
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:43 am Reply with quote
yeah, the 6th one (Shugo Chara) has more of the 'plot' per say... but I'm still glad it got a B Smile
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:25 am Reply with quote
'Twas a good video clip. Also, I'm going to have to check out Me & the Devil Blues.
Cait

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:27 am Reply with quote
Another reason I need to put Me and the Devil Blues on my list. Of course, it'll have to get in line with the dozen other "check this out" series I've put on there from this column.

I've been working on a Reader's Choice review, but it's seriously way too long. Cutting 900 words down to 400 is going to be quite a task...
eyesopen0791

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:48 pm Reply with quote
blind_assassin wrote:
The messy artwork in Trigun is probably just to go along with the story. The show starts off based entirely on discovering Vash's past which is all well and good (the general whiny nature of Vash aside) but then after like 10 episodes they drop the veil and it just becomes a random mishmash of stupid bullshit and unimportant characters being killed in unimportant ways. I criticise Basilisk for the same thing but they at least made it all about the killing. In Trigun they took what should have been pointless masturbation of violence and turned it into people with exploding saxophones and mile-long sniper rifles.

I'll inevitably get flak for making the first post in this discussion a resounding dismissal of a classic (god knows why) anime series but the series is utter garbage in any format.

According to my reading log, I stopped reading Trigun Maximum after 3 volumes, and now considering what I've just read, will never bother continuing it. Cannot believe my reading of the manga was so excruciating compared to my enjoyment of its anime.

Sand Chronicles is on my list of mangas to buy since reading and liking alot volume 1. Unless an ANN reviewer gives a volume an awful grade like a C- or D, I'll probably buy every volume.
bci110

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Has Shugo Chara! surpassed Rozen Maiden as Peach-Pit's greatest work? With this volume, it's very tempting to say yes.

I'll go one better and claim that Shugo Chara completely surpassed Rozen Maiden as Peach-Pit's greatest work. Though reading this particular volume was a bit redundant in my case since I already watched the anime versions of the chapters contained in the volume. Still it was a lot of fun to read and most deserving of the "B" grade.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:44 pm Reply with quote
The manga was painful for me because Dark Horse's translator has apparently never heard of something called the English language. The translation actually hurt to read: stilted dialogue, random Japanese vocab, the works. I think my breaking point was when they wedged a paragraph-long dictionary definition of "lolicon" into whitespace to excuse the use of the term when "pedo" would've sufficed. Oh, and did this guy ever get Yasuhiro Nightow's memo that Trigun is set in an English-speaking world and that the Japanese dialogue is simply a matter of translation convention?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Lolita Complex and Pedophilia are not interchangeable.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:27 am Reply with quote
blind_assassin wrote:
The messy artwork in Trigun is probably just to go along with the story. The show starts off based entirely on discovering Vash's past which is all well and good (the general whiny nature of Vash aside) but then after like 10 episodes...

Um, you might as well stop right there... this article was about the manga. Rolling Eyes
heavyweather

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I really like the Trigun manga.

It's not the best thing I've ever read. The art can be a little messy, and the story can be overly dark for the subject, but it's still a very fun read.

That's just my opinion, but I thought I should share it.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:07 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Lolita Complex and Pedophilia are not interchangeable.

Hair-splitter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1