• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fushigi Yûgi -VIZBIG Edition- GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:50 am Reply with quote
Haven't read the manga since it first ran in Animerica Extra. The most unusual bit of the translation I remember is using the Chinese reading of the book characters' names.
Hikari06

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:58 am Reply with quote
I remember when Fushigi Yuugi used to be THE series I was obsessed with in middle school (I'm now in college). This new edition could be worth buying, if only for the chance to see the art enlarged, and for a fun trip down memory lane. Cool
eyesopen0791

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I like the Animerica volumes. Bigger pictures is always better. Very Happy The 3 in 1 editions are too bulky for my taste, though. Different folks, different tastes.

It's cool that there's a shojo series that has maintained its popularity enough to get that type of attention from its publisher. The comedy writing is so good, and it still makes me crack up. Miaka polishes off food like you polish off boots. And I'm a fan of Hotohori, mainly because I alway root for the underdog character. Very Happy

Last edited by eyesopen0791 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
aluria

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Small typo in the first sentence under review. Forgot the 'b' in be at the end of the sentence.

While I love Fushigi Yugi, I hate the big volumes. They are just so clunky and don't sit on the shelves nicely with regular sized volumes. Although I've yet to start buying this series, I'm sticking with the regular sized ones.

Vizes random hack job isn't anything new. Although I have to admit they have gotten a little bit better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
The most unusual bit of the translation I remember is using the Chinese reading of the book characters' names.

Yeah, that gets a bit odd when you're familiar with the anime and suddenly the names are different. But it makes sense and at least Viz did explain why they were using the Chinese reading instead of the Japanese one.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Pretty accurate grade for the beginning of the series... I didn't end up hating Fushigi Yuugi until the second half, and I will admit to enjoying the first half.
Pirkaf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:42 am Reply with quote
aluria wrote:
Small typo in the first sentence under review. Forgot the 'b' in be at the end of the sentence.

While I love Fushigi Yugi, I hate the big volumes. They are just so clunky and don't sit on the shelves nicely with regular sized volumes. Although I've yet to start buying this series, I'm sticking with the regular sized ones.

Vizes random hack job isn't anything new. Although I have to admit they have gotten a little bit better.

Well, for me it's exactly opposite: I love VIZBIG omnibuses because of the large format and better price but I don't care about Fushigi Yugi at all. I think it's totally lame.
LauraOrganaSolo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I hope people who got burned on the second season of the anime give the manga a chance. The Fushigi Yuugi anime was awesome to me when I was a ronri fourteen year-old. Ten years later, it hasn't aged terribly well, and I can't bring myself to argue with the people who rage against its trope-y, harem flaws.

But the manga handled things SO much better, especially things like the constant "Tamahome!" "Miaka!" "Tamahome!" "Miaka!" that you get in the anime and Nuriko's inexplicable change of heart at the beginning of the second season.

I can't afford to pick up this omnibus collection because I already spent a stupid amount of money collecting Viz's previous edition of FY (once they stopped flopping the pages and inserting hate-inspiring American pop culture references) but I hope plenty of newbs and some older, wiser former shoujo consumers who are looking for some nostalgia.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Are they re-releasing Ranma 1/2 this way as well? I saw a fatter looking volume one of it on the shelf, but when I saw how many chapters it had (only 12 or 13 - not what I'd expect from a 3-in-1) I wasn't sure and I can't remember if it said VizBig or not.

Anyway, I'll be picking this up. I never could get into the Fushigi Yuugi anime because by that time, I'd seen Sailor Moon and Magic Knight Rayearth (both of which I adored) and Fushigi Yuugi reminded me a lot of those series. But I'm feeling nostalgic for some classic 90s shoujo, so I'll give it a shot. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1