• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: JoJo's Manga Part 3 Republished in Revised Edition

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kamidai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:15 am Reply with quote
I don't really know 100% how to feel about this.

I am very very very very much a fan of JoJo's, and having it back in print makes me incredibly happy, but I'm a bit worried about how much they had to "revise", considering how much of this arc is set in Egypt... I wonder if there will be editing-comparison sites popping up once the reprints are done? I hope so.
vapwaazu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:40 am Reply with quote
I think most of the editing will probably just replacing buildings that look like mosques or similar to look like generic buildings or something.

I've already got my copies of the bunko version so I won't have to worry about getting the revised editions Laughing Speaking of which one more volume of Stone Ocean bunko to be released in Feb and it's done!

There is a Jojo's fan base out there so a comparison site should be up sooner or later.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kaizen-dono

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:55 am Reply with quote
I wonder how Araki feels about this, seems pretty rediculous to me.

Some random people complain about something mundane and get their way because everyone else is too afraid to argue with them.
mulrich

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:39 am Reply with quote
Motherfucking pussies.

Glad I'm an Atheist.
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:47 am Reply with quote
And if that was the Bible no one would care.
Can we please stop being scared of Muslims? Like wtf?
BleuVII

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:43 am Reply with quote
--accidental double post--

Last edited by BleuVII on Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
BleuVII

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:45 am Reply with quote
@Mulrich: The offical rules say I'm not supposed to berate you about breaking the rules, but please read them anyway. animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=31.

Anyway, I kind of agree with narutoismybrother. I could probably make a professional career out of documenting how and when the Christian Bible is misused/misquoted/generally misunderstood in anime, but nobody cares. So Le Chevalier d'Eon quotes the Psalms to add dramatic effect to a man genetically turning into a female while channeling his dead sister's spirit. Not something that I [or anyone else for that matter] am terribly worried about, even though I have a Certificate of Biblical Studies.

But when embassies are bombed because of political cartoons, you can understand why people would rather just give in to the demands, even when the concerned Muslims writing the letters are half a world away from the bombings and likely disagree with them.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:20 am Reply with quote
It's dumb that people would feel some people might get the impression of "THOSE EBUL TERRORISTS" just from seeing some Middle Eastern items in a comic. But nothing, NOTHING can compare to THIS classic little item: MORE RACIST THAN MEETS THE EYE

Of course, the original cartoon did a LOT of things that would be considered wrong by today's PC standards...
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:50 am Reply with quote
Oh, well, there are gonna be a lot of rich collectors on E-bay. I just dunno why it took them a year for me to get back to this. I'm not even a fan of this arc of the manga, compared to the anime version. But I hope it won't affect the other arcs.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:04 am Reply with quote
This story again? Rolling Eyes

I think it pretty much ridiculous, and I don't like that they chose to edit the manga.

Sometimes, people should be a little braver and not let others say what is right and what is wrong and impose their choices and beliefs on them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:30 am Reply with quote
Hmm, this is interesting to hear.

What I'm wondering at this point is when Viz will resume the printing of the 3rd arc of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure here in North America.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:33 am Reply with quote
I thought this issue was resolved months ago. I am surprized that this is a ongoing issue. I remember reading this a while back, so I figured this was a finished case.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:16 pm Reply with quote
narutoismybrother wrote:
And if that was the Bible no one would care.

That's true (aside from the small groups of crybabies that will protest everything objectionable to their beliefs).
Alucalb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
Hmm, this is interesting to hear.

What I'm wondering at this point is when Viz will resume the printing of the 3rd arc of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure here in North America.

Same here. I know they'll probably never release the other parts, but they could at least finish this one (just six more books).
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:06 pm Reply with quote
[quote="GATSU"]Oh, well, there are gonna be a lot of rich collectors on E-bay.[/quote
Just you wait!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2