• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hai Fidelity - ALI PROJECT: Keikan Shijin Single Collection Plus

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:27 am Reply with quote
Nice review, Rachel.

How odd, since I just went on a mini-binge on their music very recently.

Ahh, Ali Project. I discovered them after having watched Rozen Maiden, and I haven't really turned back since.

After having listened to many of Ali Project's songs, it wasn't until recently that I finally started to notice how their songs seemed somewhat repetitive, of sorts. Another issue I have with them is that I can get tired of their songs rather easily - while any song I play repetitively will get tiring after some time, it happens much quicker with most Ali Project songs. Only Yukyo no Seishunka and Hizamazuite Ashi wo Oname (Princess Resurrection ED) have had any real lasting value on me as of yet.

Even then, I still enjoy their songs. I like their current style, as well as the music. And I'll probably continue to do so for some time.

One more thing I'd like to mention is that after going on my Ali Project mini-binge yesterday, it's interesting to see how drastically different their style is now in comparison to their older songs, such as the ones from Clamp School Detectives, Wish and St. Luminous High School. they seem much more... cheerful.
Anath_19

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:35 am Reply with quote
Nice review. I like Ali Project, but they have too many songs that sound similar. If you haven't already, I highly suggest you check out their album Psychedelic Insanity. It's the most experimental album I've heard them try (not that I've listened to many, though), and definitely more varied than most stuff you'd expect from them.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:29 am Reply with quote
ALI PROJECT's music just invokes fatigue in me. The only one of their tracks that I can listen to and enjoy on a regular basis is "Baragoku Otome" from Rozen Maiden. I'm sure a few gems exist that aren't associated with any anime, but frankly I can't motivate myself to go searching for them, talented as these two artists may be.

Good review. Very Happy
Kiriska

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:42 am Reply with quote
Good, fair review.

I love ALI PROJECT's sound, but I can understand why many people dismiss them for having a lot of similar-sounding songs.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:37 am Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:
ALI PROJECT's music just invokes fatigue in me. The only one of their tracks that I can listen to and enjoy on a regular basis is "Baragoku Otome" from Rozen Maiden. I'm sure a few gems exist that aren't associated with any anime, but frankly I can't motivate myself to go searching for them, talented as these two artists may be.

I personally think that Baragoku Otome is good because it isn't nearly as formulaic as the majority of their other, recent songs. May that be the reason as to why you still enjoy that song?
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:46 am Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
I personally think that Baragoku Otome is good because it isn't nearly as formulaic as the majority of their other, recent songs. May that be the reason as to why you still enjoy that song?

I do believe that's it. ALI PROJECT does have a good sense of harmony and a very interesting style, but as you say, most of their pieces are very repetitive. If more of their tracks were distinct like Baragoku Otome, you could consider me won over.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:24 am Reply with quote
Personally, I love ALI PROJECT. Their songs just command for your attention. However, I've heard a lot of people get confused as to which songs are which. Variety would be nice.

Either way, great review.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Oh cool a ALI Project review. This sounds like album I might be interested in. I did enjoy their ED theme for 'Code Geass'. Ever since 'Noir' I've always enjoyed their work. Of course 'Avenger' is probably the one series that had a good chunk of their music, correct me if I'm wrong. But nope you can't mistake their sound.

I love the heading. I think I have a post around here with the same beginning. Laughing
RiskyTheShinigami

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:22 am Reply with quote
Good review, though, this isn't the first time they've used synths. If you look at their first album, there's a good bit of synth use... But then again, it was also the 80s, land of the synths. (Edit: Never mind, I should be asleep, since I can't read right; you meant first on the album. Their cheesy 80s synth still is pretty amusing, anyway. =D)

My problem with all their anime songs, especially the recent ones (their old stuff was much different), is they really all do sound the same. They all follow the same pattern, more or less (short loud instrumental intro, chorus, verse1, bridge, chorus, verse2, bridge, chorus, longer instrumental, (repeat of intro), (bridge), chorus, chorus), all with a similar style. Once, a few years back, I was able to splice several songs together based on this pattern and it was nearly seamless. As much as I love them, after a while I can't tell their anime songs apart until the chorus starts (sometimes then it ever takes me a moment).

BUT, for all the generic, repetitive things, there are some really good songs of theirs as well. The album Moonlight Intoxication is my favorite I think, with all the songs backed only by strings (real strings, not synth). If you like "Copellia's Coffin" at all, you should hear this version. It's quite nice. There are string versions of some of their other songs as well.

But that's my little rant. Nice review.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:01 pm Reply with quote
All very true, I'm a massive ALI PROJECT fan, but I do agree that they need some variety in their songs. I can't tell many of them apart other than Peony Pink and Kinjireta Asobi.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I would think that using more orchestral arrangements make for an interesting sound to your music and on top of that, differentiates you from many other groups involved in anime or games that tend to use pop or rock oriented sound. Ali Project is one of those groups I wish I could get more into if I had the money. I don't mind pop, but the sound of pop is just as monotonous as people might claim for Ali Project.
Zipper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I used to like Ali Project, but yep, I got tired of hearing the same stuff over and over. Now I can barely stand them.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Hahahaha, this thread made me lauuuugh! I came in here ready to post about how dull and repetitive Ali Project is, and nearly everyone is saying the exact same thing! xD

It's true, though! I used to love them, but as I heard more and more, I realized I had no idea when one song ended and another began. Even Nickelback's songs are more distinctive than Ali Project. It's a shame, because I really like their style, but it's just so damned boring by now.

It's to the point when Sora Kake Girl started up, I audibly groaned when I heard the first notes of the opening.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Kitei no Tsurugi is the only song of the album that I'm really familiar with. When I first discovered Animelo Summer Live concerts I skipped past ALI Project songs, then they were scheduled for Animelo Summer Live 2012 which I attended, so I tried to get more familiar with their music. It has grown on me, but I accept the comments about similarity or repetitiveness of many of the songs.

Fast-forward to the song Celestial Diva sung by Minori Chihara and co-written by Arika. It was amazing to hear it sun by both of them at the start of Animelo Summer Live 2013.

It would be interesting to hear ALI Project do a self-cover of Celestial Diva.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1