• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Levine's Moribito Wins Best Translated Novel Award

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Oh cool. That's awesome news. Maybe I should give this novel a look. Really enjoyed the (anime) series immensely. Definitely on my "next-to-buy" list.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:02 pm Reply with quote
this makes me even more anxious for the next Moribito novel to come out. I was already thinking of preordering it, now I definitely am.
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised. The anime deserves any award anyone can think of to give it so it's source should be a winner too. I'll definitely be looking for this book.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:39 pm Reply with quote
GrinfilledCelt wrote:
I'm not surprised. The anime deserves any award anyone can think of to give it so it's source should be a winner too. I'll definitely be looking for this book.
It's a shame that AS and most of it's viewers don't seem to realize how awesome it is. I was excited when I heard it was gonna air in the US, expecting it to get the praise it deserves but AS failed me greatly.

I have no doubt the novels are great but I've only seen the anime, and I really want Production IG to make more anime adapations since the first one was purely amazing.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
GrinfilledCelt wrote:
It's a shame that AS and most of it's viewers don't seem to realize how awesome it is. I was excited when I heard it was gonna air in the US, expecting it to get the praise it deserves but AS failed me greatly.

I have no doubt the novels are great but I've only seen the anime, and I really want Production IG to make more anime adapations since the first one was purely amazing.
AS isn't at fault with Moribito going off air with only 10 eps running. the original broadcast deal was made with Geneon USA and when Media Blasters picked up the license the broadcast deal didn't go with it. instead, the broadcast deal defaulted to being with Production I.G. and AS has to make further negotiations with them before they can legally air the rest.
omoikane

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Having read the book, it was quite enjoyable. I only saw a couple episodes of the TV series, but it didn't do it for me. The book did a better job drawing me in.

Maybe I'll enjoy the anime more now.
WindAlchemistJen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it wasn't AS's fault that they had to take Moribito off the air. They can't legally air what they don't have the rights to.

Anyway, I'm glad the novel won the award. I've been reading it(especially after the anime was pulled off the air. I want to know what happens next!), and it's a good read and definitely deserves it.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:40 pm Reply with quote
The novels are really fantastic. If they keep publishing them one a year, they may seriously have the award sewn up for the next decade.
Kylemakk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Weazul-chan wrote:
AS isn't at fault with Moribito going off air with only 10 eps running. the original broadcast deal was made with Geneon USA and when Media Blasters picked up the license the broadcast deal didn't go with it. instead, the broadcast deal defaulted to being with Production I.G. and AS has to make further negotiations with them before they can legally air the rest.

Thanks for clearing this up! I was honestly under the impression that AS had just yanked it from its schedule due to lack of interest. Much appreciated for the info.

This anime series has a great story and great animation. One of my favorites for sure. I'll have to add the novels to my collection.

Last edited by Kylemakk on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
sk1199

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the anime more than the novel. I thought that the story the anime scripted was much more exciting and deeper than the novel. For me it's usually the opposite with the book being better than the movie/anime or at least as good. Maybe in this instance because I'm an adult and the book was aimed a kids while the anime was aimed at a more general audience. It made the anime more interesting.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:48 pm Reply with quote
sk1199 wrote:
I enjoyed the anime more than the novel. I thought that the story the anime scripted was much more exciting and deeper than the novel. For me it's usually the opposite with the book being better than the movie/anime or at least as good. Maybe in this instance because I'm an adult and the book was aimed a kids while the anime was aimed at a more general audience. It made the anime more interesting.

I had problems separating the anime from the first novel myself; both versions of the story are pretty fantastic, and the anime really expanded the story a lot, taking ideas mentioned in passing and building full episodes out of them. I spent a good chunk of the time comparing the two when I was supposed to be absorbed in the prose.
I had a much easier time getting into the later novels because of that.
ryuzaki11

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Oh yes, another victory! This news should increase the chance of making the other books into anime(even if a teenee bit)... Wink

I plan on buying this book along with the second one. So I guess it is certain that the whole series will be published by AL.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:38 am Reply with quote
Weazul-chan wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
GrinfilledCelt wrote:

True,but there's another problem.

The main AS viewers,mostly like action based anime like Bleach and code geass and putting a fantasy based series on AS was going to fail badly.

I truly doubt they'll reshow the others since the viewers are so poor,but since of course CN as a very good relationship with production I.G (cause of success like the Ghost in the Shell series and the Toonami original Immortal Grand Prix) There's a slim chance it might show again but i won't hold my breath.I'll take my chances and buy the DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
billyarnie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:41 am Reply with quote
Andrew Cunningham wrote:
sk1199 wrote:

I had problems separating the anime from the first novel myself; both versions of the story are pretty fantastic, and the anime really expanded the story a lot, taking ideas mentioned in passing and building full episodes out of them. I spent a good chunk of the time comparing the two when I was supposed to be absorbed in the prose.
I had a much easier time getting into the later novels because of that.

That's a main point Wikipedia noted... yes, I said Wiki! Wink The anime expanded upon some ideas & actually created some new characters. Haven't bought the novel, but will someday... probably before I get DVD's past Episode 10! Yami no Moribito (Guardian of Darkness) is the 2nd novel in the series, but Production I.G. hasn't been in a hurry to adapt that yet... maybe M:GotS didn't do that well in Japan as an anime... Sad

BTW, the novel is aimed at "young adults" (12-17), not "kids" (4-11)... which could have made the anime TV-14... if there was a lot more violence! Still, what I've seen of the dub makes me want to look for fansubs... I can't wait for More Moribito!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Weazul-chan wrote:
AS isn't at fault with Moribito going off air with only 10 eps running.
True, but it most certainly is the fault of AS to take this excellent brand-new show and schedule it's first airing at 5:30 am. This is not how you treat a show you want to do well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2