• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken: Nightmare Frame Glouchester

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Subatomic Brainfreeze

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure that Megahouse is a Bandai-owned label: they've also done figures for many other Sunrise mecha shows and other properties that Bandai typically handles, kid toy standards like Kamen Rider and Pretty Cure being among them. Doing a little digging, Megahouse has even sold stuff under the Chogokin name, which is outright owned by Bandai, so...
Bisuketto

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:35 pm Reply with quote
The chestpiece and backpack is the cockpit where the frame pilot controls the knightmare. In most units, almost every single unit now, contains an escape mechanism to allow the pilot to escape a disabled or exploding frame.

The toy itself doesn't look that bad. From what you showed it looks like you can make it a stock Glouchester, Cornelia Li Britannia Guard, or even Cornelia's own unit.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I must resist the urge to correct Rob on so many points, not least regarding the name of the model......

Not the most enthusiastic review, but I'll take it. Rob was fair, mostly. The model wasn't that inspiring or cool, but hey, decent build quality is hard to come buy with Mecha toys.

Still, Rob is much, much funnier when he outright hates something. This review hinted (he basically even said it himself, actually) that he had no idea what to make of it.
konkonsn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm confused. It saids "By: Bandai" at the top, and the way you word your beginning paragraphs...I mean, this is the Megahouse version, correct?

It's cool you reviewed the Glouchester. I just ordered the Lancelot Conquista model for my birthday. Hopefully it arrives a little before then so I can put it together and taun-show it off to my friends.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:24 pm Reply with quote
It's pronounced "Glouchester", but it's not spelled with an "h".

All things considered, it got off pretty well, considering the British propensity for omitting syllables in long names. I remember hearing a nursery rhyme on some kids' show a long time ago that began "Dr. Foster went to Gloucester in a shower of rain", and "Gloucester" rhymed with Foster.
Showsni

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Ryusui wrote:

All things considered, it got off pretty well, considering the British propensity for omitting syllables in long names. I remember hearing a nursery rhyme on some kids' show a long time ago that began "Dr. Foster went to Gloucester in a shower of rain", and "Gloucester" rhymed with Foster.

That's because Gloucester does rhyme with "Foster." I should know; I live there!

In fact, the aircraft company based in Gloucester named its planes "Gloster" to help people with the pronunciation...

Dr. Foster went to Gloucester in a shower of rain;
He stepped in a puddle
Right up to his middle
And never went there again.

Oddly, my doctor (living in Gloucester) is named Dr. Foster.
WorldofElegance

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I've seen much MUCH crappier Mecha toys in my day. This wasn't a bad one at least. Very Happy

I've never seen Code Geass, but I'm really surprised that the mecha weren't more detailed. After all, when CLAMP draws anything, it's usually so visually overwhelming that it sends you into a seizure.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:18 pm Reply with quote
WorldofElegance wrote:
I've never seen Code Geass, but I'm really surprised that the mecha weren't more detailed. After all, when CLAMP draws anything, it's usually so visually overwhelming that it sends you into a seizure.

CLAMP did the initial character designs and (I think) the ED art, nothing more. They played absolutely no role in the design of the Knightmare Frames.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Visually overwhelming? I dunno, the Rune Gods didn't give me a sensory overload in MKR.

Still, I was hoping he was gonna tear this one apart... =( Better luck next week, or...something?
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:02 am Reply with quote
Subatomic Brainfreeze wrote:
I'm pretty sure that Megahouse is a Bandai-owned label:

Yep, Megahouse is one of Bandai's little companies that works kinda like a catch-all doing plushies, oddball trading and gashapon stuff, even Rubik's Cube. I think Bandai just keeps them around for name only these days like with Banpresto, Popy, B-Club, UniFive, or any of their other redundant branches. They all produce the same stuff, just in different quality, U5 should have been absorbed into Banpresto long ago.

But I guess keeping them around might be a good sign that Bandai is doing well if they can keep all of these divisions running in some capacity.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BleuVII

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:47 am Reply with quote
Did I just read a non-negative Astro Toy column?

*shakes head in shock*

I may be wrong, but I think the difference between the Bandai and the Megahouse might be that the Bandai is a Plastic Model kit. But I can't remember if they released a Gloucester. I bought Guren, Lancelot, and Vincent and then was done with it.
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:33 am Reply with quote
Ryusui wrote:

As another Gloucestrian (or close enough anyway, I'm on the Severn), I'm going to back up Showsni. It's pronounced Gloster, to rhyme with the famously disgruntled doctor who had a weather related mishap.
But how is it actually officially spelt in the series? I counted three different spellings in the article. Smile
This isn't another mess-up like the classic Hellsing TV 'Bullets made from the silver cross of Lanchester Cathedral', is it? Laughing
ingram_pilot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:29 am Reply with quote
konkonsn wrote:
I'm confused. It saids "By: Bandai" at the top, and the way you word your beginning paragraphs...I mean, this is the Megahouse version, correct?
Yes it's the Megahouse one he's reviewing. You can quickly tell the difference by looking at the cape.

The Megahouse one's cape has a horizontal split along the middle.
The Bandai one doesn't.

Earth_Wyrm wrote:
Ryusui wrote:

As another Gloucestrian (or close enough anyway, I'm on the Severn), I'm going to back up Showsni. It's pronounced Gloster, to rhyme with the famously disgruntled doctor who had a weather related mishap.
Although I don't live on Earth_Wyrm and Showsni's side of the pond, I do live about 5 minutes away from the Ottawa suburb of Gloucester; and we also pronounce it Gloster.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Subatomic Brainfreeze wrote:
I'm pretty sure that Megahouse is a Bandai-owned label:

Yep, Megahouse is one of Bandai's little companies that works kinda like a catch-all doing plushies, oddball trading and gashapon stuff, even Rubik's Cube. I think Bandai just keeps them around for name only these days like with Banpresto, Popy, B-Club, UniFive, or any of their other redundant branches. They all produce the same stuff, just in different quality, U5 should have been absorbed into Banpresto long ago.

But I guess keeping them around might be a good sign that Bandai is doing well if they can keep all of these divisions running in some capacity.

Emerje

Maybe they simply forgot where the divisions were located so they don't know where to send the pink slips too lol. I have to agree with the sentiment that the cape just seems....silly. I mean seriously...it's a mecha...if it sees any action bye bye cape. Other then that the figure doesn't look half bad. If I was more into Geass I might get it seeing as how I do love my mecha. Guess I'll have to wish list it at HLJ for a later date.
ryogasasaki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:44 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
WorldofElegance wrote:

CLAMP did the initial character designs and (I think) the ED art, nothing more. They played absolutely no role in the design of the Knightmare Frames.

)This is true. Any CLAMP fan (me Anime smile) will notice similarities with Code Geass characters and other CLAMP characters:
Lelouch- Kamui
Suzaku- Syaoran
C.C.- Chii
Nunally- Emerald)

Anyway...
If Rob hates his toys so much why does he buy them in the first place?
rawr...

And regarding to WorldofElegance...
You are right, as much as I love CLAMP and figures... The makers just never get it right. CLAMP is so highly stylized that in real life it just doesn't feel right. I have seen so many Chii figures... and the best are just "good enough".
The day I see a figure of a CLAMP character that actually captures the CLAMP-ism I swear I will need a mop. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1