• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - My Butler Can Beat Up Your Butler

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:16 am Reply with quote
I liked what I saw of Otomen in the Shojo Beat preview, looks like I'll definitely have to pick up a copy if it ranked a B+

Papillion may be off my list though now, that wasn't exactly impressive.
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:04 am Reply with quote
I'm actually intrigued in Otomen.

It's weird...the romantic genre doesn't really appeal to me...

Oh no... *looks around his room* ... *notices several teddy bears* ...Aw shit. :<
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:06 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Otomen was a maybe for me, too, until I read the review. Thanks.
lys

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:26 am Reply with quote
Papillon has some interesting ideas and lovely art, but I wasn't terribly impressed with volume 2 either. Part of it could be that it seems to move so fast—I'm normally the type to spend at least one hour, and sometimes two or three hours (for manga I really really love) reading a volume, and I don't think it took me longer than a half-hour to read through Papillon 2. If the story was told a bit slower—even if there were just a few more panels per page—I feel like all the drama might be just a tad more convincing. As it is, it seems a bit preachy and artificial.

Otomen is delightful, though!!
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:06 am Reply with quote
Granted, I'm a huge sucker for shoujo stuff, but Papillion is my favorite so far and I think it greatly outdoes Peach Girl. But I'm sure I'm just about alone saying all that. Sad

Also, I think Carlo is getting the characters (or at least the names) mixed up a bit. Ryuusei is Ageha's childhood friend that's dating her sister, Ryuto is the name of the school counselor.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:16 am Reply with quote
If I didn't own the regular release, I'd maybe consider the Ai Yori Aoshi compilation except for the fact I don't have a lot of faith they'll continue it. I bought the first volume of this style for Kare Kano, and the next volume is nowhere in sight, leaving me throughly annoyed. I mean, how difficult is it to put these together since they have all been translated already, yet its been quite a while since Volume 1. Tokyopop, I usually defend you, but this is rather irritating!
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:24 am Reply with quote
For the record, I'm a pretty big fan of Fukumoto. The meat of his works are not within his art (to which at one point he admitted that it sucked Laughing ), but the psychological warfare that exists between his characters. Akagi and Kaiji are two of those works that really stand out.

After a while, you do get used to Fukumoto's art and when you do, the stories become that much more intriguing.

So yay to Akagi! Smile
stuckinfresno

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:44 am Reply with quote
snl67 wrote:
If I didn't own the regular release, I'd maybe consider the Ai Yori Aoshi compilation except for the fact I don't have a lot of faith they'll continue it. I bought the first volume of this style for Kare Kano, and the next volume is nowhere in sight, leaving me throughly annoyed. I mean, how difficult is it to put these together since they have all been translated already, yet its been quite a while since Volume 1. Tokyopop, I usually defend you, but this is rather irritating!

I don't think that there is going to be a 4-6 bound vol. Like Kare Kano, Cursed Sword, Sgt. Frog, ect . . . it seems that Tokyopop just put together the first three vols as a promotional deal to get people reinterested in old series. There is even supposed to be a Chibi Vampire 1-3, but that release is VERY delayed (and I wanted it too Sad ). This of course seriously sucks, but if you want the series go ahead and buy the 1-3 and just pick up the other vols.

To the reviewer for Blood+ - that has to be the most entertaining fan review I have read in a long time! Good job.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:21 pm Reply with quote
stuckinfresno wrote:
snl67 wrote:

I don't think that there is going to be a 4-6 bound vol. Like Kare Kano, Cursed Sword, Sgt. Frog, ect . . . it seems that Tokyopop just put together the first three vols as a promotional deal to get people reinterested in old series. There is even supposed to be a Chibi Vampire 1-3, but that release is VERY delayed (and I wanted it too Sad ). This of course seriously sucks, but if you want the series go ahead and buy the 1-3 and just pick up the other vols.

To the reviewer for Blood+ - that has to be the most entertaining fan review I have read in a long time! Good job.

If that was their intention, I think that is really dumb. Now I have one big volume and have to go hunt down the rest? If I had known that was the strategy, I would have just bought the regular volumes from the get-go. I assumed it would be like the Omnibus versions Dark Horse did with Gunsmith Cats. Putting the regular volumes next to the rest of the series would look strange on my shelf, in my opinion.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:24 pm Reply with quote
stuckinfresno wrote:
snl67 wrote:

So, it's the exact opposite of the VIZBIG editions?

Thanks, I was going to waste money on the Kare Kano one.
stuckinfresno

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Ok it looks like I opened the proverbial can O'worms. I'm going to just focus on Tokyopop with one minor exception so bear with me.

Based on my extremely obcessive Internet release date checking, I came to the conclusion that the 1-3 vols from Tokyopop are promotional. This is based on the fact that many, many series have been released in the smaller paperback format without any follow-up. This isn't to say that the idea lacks merit. It is a bit annoying if you like all of your manga to match, but its great if you want to check out a series without investing the full $30. This would be a personal choice. If it is important to you then I would suggest buying the regular volumes. Not only because it is uncertain but you can at least read the story faster.

Tokyopop does however HAVE an omnibus line - usually titled "Ultimate Edition" or "Complete Collection". These tag lines seem to indicate that it is an all-inclusive single bound volume or a continuing series. A good example for ultimate edition is Battle Royale, Fruits Basket or Dramacon; for complete collection see Samurai Champloo or the much beloved Princess Ai Rolling Eyes .

This said I do not know for a fact that the 1-3 series will not have a follow up. This is just a hunch I have. After all, Seven Seas released an omnibus format of Amazing Agent Luna by titling it 1-3. I don't know if there will be a follow up to this omnibus release either. However another Seven Seas title Aoi House was released as "complete collection" so only time will tell. Another instance of odd promotional work would be the Barnes & Noble exclusive xxxHolic 1-3 release. There was no follow and there never will be.
errantrogue

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Wow... Papillon edging out AYA? Never thought I'd see the day... when sap would beat service... and am really sad I have.

Quote:
Another instance of odd promotional work would be the Barnes & Noble exclusive xxxHolic 1-3 release

despite reports, that wasn't exclusive.
Cloud992345

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:07 pm Reply with quote
YOU DONT TALK SHIT ABOUT AKAGI Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by Cloud992345 on Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
stuckinfresno

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:07 pm Reply with quote
errantrogue wrote:
despite reports, that wasn't exclusive.

Really?! Well just ignored that line of text in my earlier post. Embarassed Thanks for the correction.
konkonsn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Ah, bad time for me to send in my review of Otomen. But seriously, I couldn't find an e-mail or page on the site to submit reviews to anyone but this column, so...

I'm not a romantic myself, but Otomen caught me for its humor. It reminds me of Ouran...the characters don't go anywhere, but the giggles make it worth reading.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2